Some thoughts about translation/hacks

zorokenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I've been recently reading some threads here and I know that many have abandoned translation projects for the 3ds like DQ XI (LOL I still can't believe that some guy just played with us posting fake pictures of a translation) or yokai sangokushi and many other games that deserved a translation patch and never happened so I'm appealing to the translation teams that still believe that the 3ds deserves New air for it and I would like to pose an idea for a hack/translation what about porting the work of the translators of DQ X online for the offline version of Nintendo Switch to the 3ds and try to make it offline playable too?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please try to use some punctuation in your posts. They are difficult to read otherwise.

I would like to pose an idea for a hack/translation
Ideas are cheap. Respectfully, anyone with the capacity for these things already has plenty of ideas and does not need yours.

what about porting the work of the translators of DQ X online for the offline version of Nintendo Switch to the 3ds and try to make it offline playable too?
Do you think Dragon Quest is some sort of obscure series that no one has heard of? If it was easy to do, someone would have done it already.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to pose an idea for a hack/translation what about porting the work of the translators of DQ X online for the offline version of Nintendo Switch to the 3ds and try to make it offline playable too?

How the feck do you expect that to work when the 3ds version of DQX online was streamed from the Square-Enix servers using the 3ds DQX app. No game files are actually on your 3ds plus the fact the 3ds servers for the game were shut down years ago.

zorokenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Please try to use some punctuation in your posts. They are difficult to read otherwise.

Ideas are cheap. Respectfully, anyone with the capacity for these things already has plenty of ideas and does not need yours.

Do you think Dragon Quest is some sort of obscure series that no one has heard of? If it was easy to do, someone would have done it already.
Respectfully that is your opinion and if you think that ideas are cheap then the scene would be dead and I think that 3ds deserves a comeback just used DQ as an example but I could mentioned other games good enough to make my point
Post automatically merged:

How the feck do you expect that to work when the 3ds version of DQX online was streamed from the Square-Enix servers using the 3ds DQX app. No game files are actually on your 3ds plus the fact the 3ds servers for the game were shut down years ago.
Yeah my mistake just wanted to make an example of stuff that could be done and I forgot about that.
My point is that many translation projects were abandoned or discontinued by the teams in charge of it and maybe there's someone who would like to continue those but don't make any move because he or she don't see any interest from the community

Last edited by zorokenshi,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My point is that many translation projects were abandoned or discontinued by the teams in charge of it and maybe there's someone who would like to continue those but don't make any move because he or she don't see any interest from the community
People don't give up because they don't see any interest; people give up because these things are hard, and a lot of them probably announce they're getting started before they fully grasp just how difficult it is.

And some of them probably give up because they're sick of harassment from people who seem to think they know better. :ha:

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respectfully that is your opinion and if you think that ideas are cheap then the scene would be dead and I think that 3ds deserves a comeback just used DQ as an example but I could mentioned other games good enough to make my point
That wasn't the point. The point was that it's really easy for people to make overambitious and completely unreasonable ideas for any console (including the 3DS). There are people who will tackle those ideas anyway, and some will succeed (case in point: seven or so years ago, N64 emulation on the 3DS was considered impossible, and now we have decent 64 emulation on 3DS), but that doesn't mean that every idea has the resources or dedication behind it to make it happen.

There are people who still support the 3DS and continue to develop new software for it, pushing the system to it's limits, but they're usually occupied with their own projects (and not "free agents", so to speak).

To rephrase, most people don't have time to focus on any old idea by an oblivious ten year old who wants to play Skyrim on their 3DS and "I think people you could make that happen if you tried hard enough". Quite frankly, that isn't how that works. The technology is very complicated and in-works projects are huge commitments by a relatively small amount of people.

If you have an idea that you want to see brought to life, then learn how to program and do it yourself. Otherwise, you will probably be shown the door. You think the 3DS deserves a comeback? Fine. You want to see DQ X on the 3ds? Great--do it yourself.

Finally, usually projects are abandoned for a reason. Some are too ambitious; other times, the team behind them lacks the time or resources to continue the projects. You're welcome to ask to join or pick up old projects, but once again, that's your responsibility. Asking people to revive a dead project just so you can play it is naïve and disrespectful.

Reactions: Kwyjor

NewGBAXL

Professional Helirin Pilot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
porting a translation to other platforms if easy enough, if it was setup in a similar way, however, the offline mode would require a significantly different (and harder?) process via code-based reverse engineering.
Meaning, I think the translation port is a good idea and should be pursued while the offline mode is more of if the devs are able to reasonably provide that (unlikely)

zorokenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Ok guys I know and understand everything and @AdenTheThird I'm no ten year old oblivious kid actually I'm way older than you probably and understand everything you just said in your post so if anyone can tell me what programs or tools I could use for start translating/hacking I will dedicate myself to do something.Let's say for starters a partial English patch for a Japanese Game can anyone of you point me in the rigth direction because I have plenty of free time and want to contribute even if is a small contribution

NewGBAXL

Professional Helirin Pilot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys I know and understand everything and @AdenTheThird I'm no ten year old oblivious kid actually I'm way older than you probably and understand everything you just said in your post so if anyone can tell me what programs or tools I could use for start translating/hacking I will dedicate myself to do something.Let's say for starters a partial English patch for a Japanese Game can anyone of you point me in the rigth direction because I have plenty of free time and want to contribute even if is a small contribution
is there something specific you want to start on or learn with? I can try to look at it if so and if not I can give you some other stuff to play around with. First it's important to understand conceptually what's going on in a game, then you can get into the nitty gritty
(I actually do translations btw)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm no ten year old oblivious kid actually I'm way older than you probably
One of the reasons you should slow down and take time to use proper punctuation in your posts is that people are less likely to take you seriously otherwise, sir.

can anyone of you point me in the rigth direction
Part of the reason that this is so difficult is that most of the time there are no "pointers" and people have to fumble around blindly until they find something that works.

zorokenshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Every single bit of info will be ok.From unpacking a rom to hex editing,graphics edition and others.As I said I got plenty of free time and I would like to learn as much as I can
Post automatically merged:

One of the reasons you should slow down and take time to use proper punctuation in your posts is that people are less likely to take you seriously otherwise, sir.

Part of the reason that this is so difficult is that most of the time there are no "pointers" and people have to fumble around blindly until they find something that works.
About punctuation is a bad habit of mine I'm sorry😅.Yes I imagine that some of the troubles with translations is that when there are no "pointers" you progress based in trial and error but I'm no easily discouraged

Last edited by zorokenshi,

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't calling you a ten year old. Please slow down so you don't misinterpret analogies.

You mentioned several specific points (JP-EN patches, hex editing, ROM unpacking) and there are tutorials and guides for such things online. All you have to do is find a guide and get started. Do research, find a project or something that's taking on new people. Keep in mind that you'll likely have to learn the nitty-gritty stuff yourself--people are very rarely willing to teach someone brand new to this stuff what to do. Learning is a lengthy and difficult process, and one you must initiate and hold yourself to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?