Hacking I just bought a 9.0.0-20E New 3DS XL, is rxtools the right choice for it?

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought a brand new New 3DS XL and amazingly it comes with 9.0.0-20E firmware. I have a Sky3DS too. I'm just wondering what my options are (if any), I want to do it before my boyfriend accidentally updates it :P I'm guessing the Sky3DS will come in handy with Cubic Ninja. Should I set up an emunand asap so I can update the emunand and get the YouTube app?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using reinand since it was released first. Not sure if it's worth switching to rxtools yet since reinand is doing everything I want

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn, I already set up rxtools on my nephews original 3DS. It would be nice to have the same on each of ours so when it comes to work on his I know what I'm doing. What is the benefit of reinand over rxtools?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I already set up rxtools on my nephews original 3DS. It would be nice to have the same on each of ours so when it comes to work on his I know what I'm doing. What is the benefit of reinand over rxtools?

Currently Stable vs Current Unstable

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh maybe rxtools isn't even an option for n3ds :S I wouldn't know, it just arrived in the mail today.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I just noticed that there is a 9.5 limit for updating emunand on n3ds :( What are the implications of this, will I be able to play games online and can I access the online store to get the YouTube app without being on the latest 9.9 firmware?

Last edited by LoggerMan,

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, just looking over it all, is it actually worth doing and being on 9.5 emunand even with the spoofer?

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really your own problem. We already dealt with this before (anyone without Gateway before firmlaunch for N3DS) and couldn't play anything that needed a newer NATIVE_FIRM like Xenoblade.
It's your call whether the existing massive library of stuff that'll still work is worth it when some newer stuff might make itself incompatible.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Darn, I see. Sky3DS will soon have that very same problem for all new games anyway too. It looks like I've got a choice to make. I'm still glad I got the N3DS, the face tracking is incredible, Nintendo should have done it in the first place.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn, I see. Sky3DS will soon have that very same problem for all new games anyway too. It looks like I've got a choice to make. I'm still glad I got the N3DS, the face tracking is incredible, Nintendo should have done it in the first place.
Sky3DS' problem is AP checks, which are actually circumvented when using CIA. CFW's issue is actual incompatibility, minor things like crypto have had people go around it and post fixed versions on *cough* that ISO site *cough*.
And Ninty almost shipped the N3DS without it, but by the power of one guy walking in and saying "no, we need this on this model" (seems to be a semi-regular thing over there) we got it.

Reactions: Margen67

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not hard to believe that Nintendo run like that actually, AP always seemed like an afterthought with Nintendo. I wonder how many people actually bother with CFW and private headers and stuff, it seems like only a small subset of users would go through those hoops.

Anyway, I can try CFW, backup my NAND, and if I change my mind or something goes wrong I can always just go back to the vanilla firmware right?

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did the first step, installed reinand, then unlinked nands. But when it comes to updating emunand to 9.5 it says to boot into emunand and launch dev menu, but dev menu has disappeared now. I didn't make a backup of it. Is the only way to get dev menu back on emunand really to link my nands, install reinand again, backup the dev menu from the sd, unlink nands, then put dev menu back on SD?

Last edited by LoggerMan,

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When your nands are still linked, and you install Devmenu or BigBlueMenu on sysnand, they will also appear on emunand. When you format sysnand to unlink your nands, devmenu and bbm should remain available in emunand. Did you unlink nands before you installed devmenu? I'm not sure why it would disappear from your emunand at all, unless you were accessing it through pastacfw or something

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I might have been accessing it through pasta, I'm not sure. I was just following the guide. I have emunand, but now I don't have dev menu in either sysnand or in emunand. Is there any way I can just start from scratch? I'm feeling thoroughly confused about how to get dev menu on emunand. I tried installing dev menu through FBI through cubic ninja on emunand, but it comes up with an error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1