Hacking I just bought a 9.0.0-20E New 3DS XL, is rxtools the right choice for it?

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I really should have realised, I mean not backing up is why I'm going through all this again in the first place :S

What should I do now?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really should have realised, I mean not backing up is why I'm going through all this again in the first place :S

What should I do now?

Alright from scratch.

Copy paste everything to your mSD > CN > Scan Ninjhax > Pasta > Ninjhax > FBI > Devmenu > Pasta > Unwrap > Turn off > Turn on (to confirm it's there) > Turn off > mSd to computer & backup contents > Turn on > CN > Wipe save> Scan Gateway QR > Format Emunand > Turn off > mSD to computer > Copy everything back over > Turn on > CN > Wipe save > Ninjhax QR > Boot Reinand from here > Confirm Devmenu transfered.

If you have Devmenu on the emunand (You should by now) and want to unlink nands, now's the time.

Turn off > remove mSD > Turn on > Format Sysnand > Setup process > Turn off > insert mSD > CN > Ninjhax > FBI > Install Reinand ROP.
Now you should be able to boot into reinand using the profile exploit.

<_> Setting up CFW w/o Gateway Flashcarts is a pain in the ass.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This might take me a little while, I've got someone coming over in a minute. I should be able to get it right this time though. Thanks for your help, I'll check back in later. I was *so* close to getting it right the very first time I just didn't back up the installed dev menu :S

Dev menu will let me install anything else I need to emunand right, I shouldn't need to install FBI or anything else to emunand before unlinking the nands?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might take me a little while, I've got someone coming over in a minute. I should be able to get it right this time though. Thanks for your help, I'll check back in later. I was *so* close to getting it right the very first time I just didn't back up the installed dev menu :S

Dev menu will let me install anything else I need to emunand right, I shouldn't need to install FBI or anything else to emunand before unlinking the nands?

Devmenu should be able to install games / dlc / updates.
I use BigBlueMenu though (It's Devmenu, but tweaked iirc)

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It worked this time, your instructions worked perfectly, reminding me to back it up I mean. I really should have known already, I did it with the rxtools guide. Anyway thank you, it seems to work perfectly. I couldn't have done it without you. Does the update include the spoof and get rid of the update nag for sysnand too?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked this time, your instructions worked perfectly, reminding me to back it up I mean. I really should have known already, I did it with the rxtools guide. Anyway thank you, it seems to work perfectly. I couldn't have done it without you. Does the update include the spoof and get rid of the update nag for sysnand too?

Glad you got it all sorted now, sorry for leading you astray there. :P

It does not.
I'd advise you to never leave the wifi on with the lid closed while in Emunand. That is when the 3DS downloads the System update. You'll never get rid of the nag after that, unless you make a backup of your Emunand before hand and restore it if you ever get the nag (Emunantool)
If you want to remove the nag from Sysnand you can do that. Turn off 3DS > [L] + [R] + [A] + Up on D-pad + Power (Don't hold :P) > Boots into recovery update mode > Select no and it should turn off the system wiping the downloaded update from Sysnand.

If you want to spoof the firmware for e-shop access: FreeMultiPatcher - Just launch in emunand and press start > Launch e-shop after.
This will also give you Region Free (Reinand does not have this by default; it's a bare bones cfw)

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, so emunand doesn't have recovery update mode? I turned my wifi on one day when I was trying to collect streetpass tags, but I forgot to turn it off when I got home, so now I have the nag too. And of course I never bothered to backup my emunand because I'm a chump. So if I format emunand, that will remove the nag, but will i still have the streetpasses I collected? I mean, I'm sure I can back up the saves, but formatting the emunand will give me a new friend ID, right? Are the streetpass things tied to your friend id? I'm not so much worried about the mii plaza stuff, but for the other saved games like bravely default and smt4, if I back up those saves will they retain the streetpass stuff? by the way, thanks for everything usernametaken, you're a really helpful and active person on this forum.

Reactions: usernametaken

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, so emunand doesn't have recovery update mode? I turned my wifi on one day when I was trying to collect streetpass tags, but I forgot to turn it off when I got home, so now I have the nag too. And of course I never bothered to backup my emunand because I'm a chump. So if I format emunand, that will remove the nag, but will i still have the streetpasses I collected? I mean, I'm sure I can back up the saves, but formatting the emunand will give me a new friend ID, right? Are the streetpass things tied to your friend id? I'm not so much worried about the mii plaza stuff, but for the other saved games like bravely default and smt4, if I back up those saves will they retain the streetpass stuff? by the way, thanks for everything usernametaken, you're a really helpful and active person on this forum.

Yeah, once you have the nag on Emunand, you're screwed. Unless you restore a previous backup or wipe.

If your wipe or restore your emunand, you'll lose Devmenu. If you don't have a Gateway, you'll have to go through the process again.
When you reformat your Emunand, it'll create a new Friend code (same as the one on Sysnand now) & You'll lose everything you've installed.
If you have a Gateway, you can use the EmunandTool to inject your Sysnands NAND.BIN IF you've only had to format your Emunand one time.

You can backup the saves using SaveDataFiler, whatever you've aquired in those saves via streetpass should persist.

In all honesty, it's far more of a hassle than it's worth imo.
I just live with the update nag (I forgot I had the wifi on one day... After getting rid of it before).
I figure why go through the hassle if it's more than likely just going to happen again in the future.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If the update does start to install, will holding the power button down to turn the console off cancel the update or brick the console?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the update does start to install, will holding the power button down to turn the console off cancel the update or brick the console?

Fairly sure it could result in a brick.

The update doesn't install itself, it'll give a pop-up telling you there's an update. You'll have to click [A] to accept, then I believe you'd have to actually touche the screen to confirm.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I was able to remove the update nag from emunand. I just waited for system nand to get the update nag then made a nand backup, then I wiped the uodate off system nand and didn't allow it to boot again. Now I have 1:1 nands down to the second with only the update removed. I was then able to compare to find the offset and changed the first character and poof update gone.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was able to remove the update nag from emunand. I just waited for system nand to get the update nag then made a nand backup, then I wiped the uodate off system nand and didn't allow it to boot again. Now I have 1:1 nands down to the second with only the update removed. I was then able to compare to find the offset and changed the first character and poof update gone.

Impressive.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it safe to spoof the firmware with FreeMultiPatcher on sysnand, in order to play/update/play online all the more recent legit cias (like omega ruby)? I really want all the legit cias on sysnand, just in case I ever want to turn the whole system legit. Also it'd save time without needing to boot into emunand to play what are basically the best games on the system.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it safe to spoof the firmware with FreeMultiPatcher on sysnand, in order to play/update/play online all the more recent legit cias (like omega ruby)? I really want all the legit cias on sysnand, just in case I ever want to turn the whole system legit. Also it'd save time without needing to boot into emunand to play what are basically the best games on the system.

You only need FreeMultiPatcher for updating / downloading dlc & buying games. You can play online regardless of firmware, as long ass the game itself is up to date.

Epultia

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Rxtools sadly doesn't support n3dsxl at the moment.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would never download cia's on sysnand

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Legit cia's I mean. I accidentally installed dev menu to sysnand, which I'm kind of worried about. But legit cia's should be okay right? As far as Nintendo can tell my 3DS would just happen to have every legit cia that came bundled with various consoles.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legit cia's I mean. I accidentally installed dev menu to sysnand, which I'm kind of worried about. But legit cia's should be okay right? As far as Nintendo can tell my 3DS would just happen to have every legit cia that came bundled with various consoles.

If you use FBI delete mode - target: nand and look through the list, Devmenu should be listed by name, you can delete it there.
Just don't press anything other than up and down while you're going through the list. :)

Legit cias can be played from the Sysnand without having to launch a cfw, but imo it's best to stay away from Sys when you can.
Although it's not the same, say if you install an incompatible app to the Sysnand & try to launch it, you'd be stuck in an endless cycle of reboot > crash. Since the home menu would automatically target the last app you tried to use.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh cool, I'll delete devmenu from sysnand now. And you've convinced me to stick with emunand. I guess even if I'm "stuck" with this emunand forever because it's too hard to upgrade it, I mean this emunand is still pretty awesome.

Oh, I can use that same method to check if I have installed a cia game to sysnand or emunand right? I installed a game to my nephews 3ds with rxtools but I can't remember if I installed it to sysnand or emunand. I want to split his nands but I'm scared I'll delete his game in the process if I installed it to sysnand.

Last edited by LoggerMan,

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh cool, I'll delete devmenu from sysnand now. And you've convinced me to stick with emunand. I guess even if I'm "stuck" with this emunand forever because it's too hard to upgrade it, I mean this emunand is still pretty awesome.

Oh, I can use that same method to check if I have installed a cia game to sysnand or emunand right? I installed a game to my nephews 3ds with rxtools but I can't remember if I installed it to sysnand or emunand. I want to split his nands but I'm scared I'll delete his game in the process if I installed it to sysnand.

Never went through that, couldn't say for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo