Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

HENRCAST

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey there! I just got myself a PSP Go (A bit late to the party, I guess), and I want to hack it so I can play Crisis Core and MM Powered Up. Even though I've created this account a long time ago, I've never really used it, so I'm new to this stuff. I looked around in the internet a bit, but I couldn't understand a lot about the whole hacking thing, so please bear with my noob-ish questions:

- To access the PSN through a hacked device, would I need some sort of homebrew or can I just go in? If I use a temporary hack, can I normaly access the PSN while the PSP is not hacked?
- Is there a considerable chance of bricking the system?
- I've read that the psp go has compatibilty issues with PS1 games. Does that apply only to unregularly installed games or also to those downloaded from PSN?

Thanks!

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if they care so much about the PSP then they should be, well, you know... actively supporting it, instead of trying to kill it off in such a hurry like they have been in practice.

And while I'm at it, they should be forced to drop the prices on their memory sticks now for their PSP, so that those could at least have some reason to continue being sold alongside the proprietary Vita cards like they wanted everyone to be carrying UMD movies at the same price as DVD movies.

But we know that will never happen...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if they care so much about the PSP then they should be, well, you know... actively supporting it, instead of trying to kill it off in such a hurry like they have been in practice.

And while I'm at it, they should be forced to drop the prices on their memory sticks now for their PSP, so that those could at least have some reason to continue being sold alongside the proprietary Vita cards like they wanted everyone to be carrying UMD movies at the same price as DVD movies.

But we know that will never happen...

In a way it's sensible that they're protective of their prx's....if not for the PSP then for the Vita.

Also, who'd buy a Sony Pro Duo anyway when Sandisks are faster and just generally better...

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Distributing firmware files outside their own server for people to be able to downgrade firmware for CFW purposes and maybe even modify them to be malicious. If I was sony I would've done same thing.
And of course they are trying to kill PSP. They got all PSP games ready to play on Vita and of course you have to buy them again if you bought physical copies like 99% of people! Don't forget to buy even more expensive Vita card to store one game at the time!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And of course they are trying to kill PSP. They got all PSP games ready to play on Vita and of course you have to buy them again if you bought physical copies like 99% of people! Don't forget to buy even more expensive Vita card to store one game at the time!

Wow, you really don't like the PSP....by that logic are Nintendo are trying to kill the DS? Also i'm absolutely positive that 99% of PSP owners have more digital games than UMD's....whether they're playable on the Vita is another matter entirely.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Wow, you really don't like the PSP....by that logic are Nintendo are trying to kill the DS? Also i'm absolutely positive that 99% of PSP owners have more digital games than UMD's....whether they're playable on the Vita is another matter entirely.
Is my english actually that rusty people get wrong idea every time ?_?
I actually love PSP and though about getting vita but when I heard about differend plug, differend card, really closed system, e.g. it just made it feel like they are milking every last euro they can with it and you can't actually do much with it if you own decent smartphone and/or PSP. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is also trying to bury DS little by little but they do have backwards compatibility in 3DS so why hurry.
Only digital copies I own are the ones I got from "welcome back" -pack after PSN hack. Rest are ripped ISO files for games I play most. I guess it depends on people and region but you wouldn't believe how many people I know with PS3/Wii/xbox and they have no idea how to connect even them to internet, mostly becouse they have 3G stick or are too afraid it costs extra.

Just realised this goes little off topic?

thephased

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but the links to 6.20 OFW are dead in the tutorial. I don't see any OFW on Filetrip. I've tried searching around to no avail on other sites.

Does anyone have the 6.20 OFW for the PSP Go by any chance?

edit: noticed Rydian said they had to be removed.
edit 2: nevermind, I think I found a copy of the file. hope it works.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm tethering off of cellular net right now, so there's no way I can get mirrors for the important versions (5.00, 5.50, 6.20, 6.36/39, 6.60, and Go versions), people will just have to google until I can confirm proper mirrors (some don't have the Go version, some present the Go version claiming it's the x000 version etc.).

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my PSP back to day after send it in to Devin for having a cracked screen & now I want to permanently hack it with 6.60 pro-c cfw. I have some questions I know someone will be able to answer cause they are just so simple I just don't know.

I have a PSP1000; optional Pandora Batter.
  1. Run 6.60 PRO Updater on your PSP, and press X to install.
  2. Your PSP should restart into hacked mode. This will last until your PSP is shut fully off (sleep mode is okay). To hack it again quickly, run theFast Recovery to get back into 6.60 PRO.
  3. (OPTIONAL) To test or install the 6.60 permanent patch, run the CIPL Flasher on your PSP. Again, remember that this only works on the PSP 1000 and earlier 2000 mod
Step 1 is easy but Step 2 is where I'm like wtf; what is Fast Recovery? & Will this still imply since what I'm reading is PSP1000 can be permanently hacked. Google didn't help me on Fast Recovery.
Also the guide seems a little different if following the Pandora Battery cfw install.
So what is the difference between installing cfw with the Pandora's Battery or should I use the normal batter only? I figured I could always just use the Pandora's Battery in replacement of the original is this not safe?
Well I hope to hear from someone fast thanks in advance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PRO comes as a bundle of three PSP programs. The first is the actual PRO installer, the second is Fast Recovery, and the third is the permanent patch.

If you're using the perm patch then yeah, ignore fastrecovery. Once you run the PRO installer and then the permanent patch, you can delete all the PRO stuff of your stick.

The pandora wipe should get you back to 5.00 clean, where you can just start from the top (upgrade to 6.x, install PRO, patch it, done). Pandora is used for wiping (to downgrade) and recovering from a brick. It's not actually needed anymore for installing CFW since the only thing that would stop you from upgrading to a clean OFW is an already-hacked PSP, and there's softmod ways to stop the upgrade block.

You can use a switchable pandora in normal-mode as a replacement for a normal battery during the install processes, since when in normal mode it acts like a normal battery (when in pandora mode it changes the boot process).

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PRO comes as a bundle of three PSP programs. The first is the actual PRO installer, the second is Fast Recovery, and the third is the permanent patch.

If you're using the perm patch then yeah, ignore fastrecovery. Once you run the PRO installer and then the permanent patch, you can delete all the PRO stuff of your stick.

The pandora wipe should get you back to 5.00 clean, where you can just start from the top (upgrade to 6.x, install PRO, patch it, done). Pandora is used for wiping (to downgrade) and recovering from a brick. It's not actually needed anymore for installing CFW since the only thing that would stop you from upgrading to a clean OFW is an already-hacked PSP, and there's softmod ways to stop the upgrade block.

You can use a switchable pandora in normal-mode as a replacement for a normal battery during the install processes, since when in normal mode it acts like a normal battery (when in pandora mode it changes the boot process).

Thanks for the info :) my PSP was on OFW 3.95 lol so downgrading isn't an issue here.

I wish I would have known about the different modes for Pandora battery cause it's been charging all day & I just got home only to see it didn't even keep a charge :( would have saved me some time lol

@Rydian I've always enjoyed your furry avatars

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post I seem to have a problem now when playing games.

When playing a game it seems to always scrool to the bottom right as if the d-pad is being pressed down I can resist by holding the up on the d-pad albeit it just keeps a still position as if frozen until I release. My UMD tray is broken so I can't rip any of my games so I am forced to get them from other means. The two games I tried are LUMINES II.cso & Puzzel Quest.iso I couldnt find a comatibilty list online so I'm not sure if these two games have similar probelms.

LUMINES II - from the start always goes the bottom albeit i can choose any options left or right on the bottom row; like how you choose that funky pic but there are only 4 icons on last row.

Puzzel Quest - I can go through all the menu's fine albeit in actual gameplay starting on the map it tries and goes to the bottom left corner and I can't move in any direction from there.

Is this cause of my soft-mod? I don't think it's cause of the d-pad cause it's not doing this in the XMB or as mentioned in PQ's main menu. Well hopefully someone knows what's the issue here thanks in advance.

EDIT: Fixed it with a homebrew called joy sen

syndrom3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I've a PSP-2000 (no TA-88V3) with CFW 5.00M33-6, can I upgrade to 6.60PRO-C installing first 6.60OFW and then the PRO-C patch + CIPL or i've to do something before installing 6.60OFW (e.g uninstall plugins, format MS,... )??

Thanks in advice!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes you can install 6.60 PRO-C in it's temporary form....it's really not a big deal not having the permanent power exploit.

The e1000 is a horrible model though...if you're on a budget consider a 1000 instead.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I've a PSP-2000 (no TA-88V3) with CFW 5.00M33-6, can I upgrade to 6.60PRO-C installing first 6.60OFW and then the PRO-C patch + CIPL or i've to do something before installing 6.60OFW (e.g uninstall plugins, format MS,... )??

Thanks in advice!
Yup, that's the process you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...