Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

tophoos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll never beat those 9999999 warrior's way armies. And the Kid Icarus' owners should gem good heart farming weapons for level 9 Ch. 20. xD

He's doing the cycles quickly, like 2-3 minutes, that's some people have many encounters. I always encounter him once, and is kinda boring to some point because there's no variation.

I do 100 second cycles. When I was cycling 100 MACS sequentially, I ran into him alot. It annoyed me so much that I had to find a way to randomly hit up MACs. Now I randomly cycle 300 MACs and still have the same problem. He is the only one I run into so often.

It takes an average of 40-50 seconds between MAC cycles for the 3DS to do a tag. So in order for him to do so many tags, he would have to sit there and reset the plaza gate every 10 minutes or so and not play any of the games. Even then, in 10 minutes time, he would occupy 10 out of the 300 MACs I'm randomly cycling. There are currently probably at least a thousand people cycling MACs around the world and each MAC should be hit up at least once per minute. What are the chances of me tagging him so often? It's almost like he is uploading his tag information to all the MACs at the same time and I just can't avoid hitting him.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do 100 second cycles. When I was cycling 100 MACS sequentially, I ran into him alot. It annoyed me so much that I had to find a way to randomly hit up MACs. Now I randomly cycle 300 MACs and still have the same problem. He is the only one I run into so often.

It takes an average of 40-50 seconds between MAC cycles for the 3DS to do a tag. So in order for him to do so many tags, he would have to sit there and reset the plaza gate every 10 minutes or so and not play any of the games. Even then, in 10 minutes time, he would occupy 10 out of the 300 MACs I'm randomly cycling. There are currently probably at least a thousand people cycling MACs around the world and each MAC should be hit up at least once per minute. What are the chances of me tagging him so often? It's almost like he is uploading his tag information to all the MACs at the same time and I just can't avoid hitting him.

Are you doing your cycling around the same time each day? That might be part of your issue, in that you both are cycling around the same time. The other possibility is that some of those MACs aren't used by many people causing multiples. Prior to the change to 4E: MAC's I ran the primes with 42: and got the same people multiple times then.

Also there could be some people out there saying the same thing about getting you multiple times. So randomizing your MACs is a good thing regardless of any multiple hits you get.

tophoos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you doing your cycling around the same time each day? That might be part of your issue, in that you both are cycling around the same time. The other possibility is that some of those MACs aren't used by many people causing multiples. Prior to the change to 4E: MAC's I ran the primes with 42: and got the same people multiple times then.

Also there could be some people out there saying the same thing about getting you multiple times. So randomizing your MACs is a good thing regardless of any multiple hits you get.

I don't get anyone else nearly as much as I get him.

Today I borrowed my coworker's 3DS to do an experiment. Both our 3ds are being run under the same Access Point which is randomly cycling 300 MACs at 100 second intervals. The theory is that since we are both consecutively under the same MAC at every given 100 seconds, the first to tag would get the last person on the MAC, and the second to tag would get the other 3DS as long as nobody else came in between to make the tag.

Out of 5 rounds at the Mii Plaza (50 tags x 2), my 3DS picked up my coworker 1x, 2x, 0x, 1x, 1x. While his 3DS picked me up 2x, 1x, 1x, 1x, 1x.
This shows that each @SPOO[F] MAC address usually gets switched out in under than 100 seconds (between resets and both 3DS picking it up, I think it may be an average of 30 seconds).

But guess what the weirdest part is?

Within this experiement, I still managed to picked up Nipi 0x, 2x, 1x, 0x, 1x on mine and 1x, 0x, 1x, 1x, 1x on cowoker's 3DS. What the??? Even under these circumstances, he still manages to pop in so often.
When I posted this morning, I stated that he had 21,442 streetpass tags in his profile last night. Now he has 22,764. That's 1322 tags in around 24 hours.
The discrepancy between my 5th time at the plaza. My coworker's DS shows him having 22,764 passes and 22,749. This is within a 16 minute window that my Cycler would give me 10 passes each.
In both these situations, he is running at a cycler at around 70-75 seconds intervals. But he would actually have to go to the plaza every 12 minutes or something to clear it. Does he not sleep? Or did he make an app for that?

This still doesn't explain how he managed to be in 8 out of my 100 passes though. These being random passes means that he would have to always occupy around 8% of all the MACs at any given moment.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what to tell you guys then. I have 384 passes while cycling through around 60-75 MACs. I don't do it multiple times a day anymore though. I have zero from this Nipi guy. I do have 10 from a guy who was using the same MACs as me before the octet change, the rest of my 5+ passes come from Tempers during the first few days as well. Furthermore there is the 6-8 hour limit from MACs, so unless he figured out how to spoof his 3DS' MAC you should be able to find periods without him showing up. Unless some of the MACs you guys are using are only being used by a small number which increases his chances of being there.

As for the number of streetpasses going up by large amounts a couple things could be happening. If he is from Japan then it is possible he is getting some locally as well. Perhaps he has more than one 3DS with the same name/Mii? There is also the possibility of a Japanese gaming community setting up their own MACs to use that we don't know about. I'm using 10 that are from a different community and not listed in the spreedsheet, so that is also possible.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna join in, but something's not working right with my relay. No matter what MAC I use, I never get a StreetPass. I can access the internet through the hotspot and I can see it picking it up as a Nintendo Zone.

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
If anyone encounters my army, and my greeting is NOT "3DStxt.com/cs2", then that means I am fighting with my army, and it is not guaranteed to be split 1%/1%/98%, since I may have to deal with not as nice splits. I am still working on getting my last plaza ticket for the game.

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JRave: with that nipi guy, it doesn't matter how you do it or when, you'll always get him :S
I've got him on my friends list. I see him on alot but not playing anything. I wondered what he was doing but hadn't asked him yet. Now I know. He's really cool though, and I actually hadn't hit him in the wild. Probably just because last night was the first time I got to do this in like a week.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got him on my friends list. I see him on alot but not playing anything. I wondered what he was doing but hadn't asked him yet. Now I know. He's really cool though, and I actually hadn't hit him in the wild. Probably just because last night was the first time I got to do this in like a week.

500+ streetpasses and I have yet to see him. Last night was also the first night I've gotten to do more than 10 hits in a sitting, so I really think it is a timing issue with getting him multiple times.

computerlife22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I started an IRC channel specifically for StreetPass Relay. If anyone wants to join in, feel free to at:

#3DSMACSPOOF

It is on the server efnet.org. This is so we can MAC spoof in real time, and get streetpasses instantly and endlessly!

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I got it working... but the MAC address won't change and whenever I try to connect to the hotspot I made with my 3DS it wont let me at the very end of the process and it says error details blah blah. On my Ipod touch I tries to test the internet and I can successfully connect showing the 3 bars, but whenever I try to load something, it starts and stops as if I'm not connected to anything at all. It's as if theres internet but theres something not allowing it to transfer data with the handhelds... any ideas?

Also, Idk if this will help or not, but if I click on the hotspot adapter in this case mine would be "Local Area Connection", I see some the status of it and it says I've sent about 1034 packets of information in about 7 min and 29 seconds, but I have received 0...

See? The MAC address isn't changing..​
Attached Files:

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so the question for me at this point is more like: Do I need the ethernet cable to be the primary internet connection? Like can I run this all on Wi-Fi or do i need that connected, but my computer needs to be plugged into the ethernet cable to work? Because I tried ethernet and I almost got it, but my sister started complaining it was my fault her computers internet decided to stop working so my dad made me unplug and go wireless. So basically the only way I can do this is wireless at this point.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to go completely wireless with a Windows 7 setup, but my router is still needing to be reset fairly often. Something about the constantly changing MAC addresses is messing it up somehow...but it's a pretty crappy old router anyhow, so it could just be on its way out anyhow.

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! I've literally been trying all day to set this hotspot up. I'm at the point where everything is good to go, the 3DS recognizes my hotspot being called attwifi, and it also recognizes it in connection settings when I want to add it as a new connection. The only problem is whenever I try to connect to it, it connects to the router fine, but as it connects to the internet it stops and says the error thing. What i want to know is this: Am I doing something wrong that might be doing something like not letting me transmit data from my router to my 3DS, or do I need to be plugged in via ethernet cable? Because I've been trying with wireless settings. If someone could help I would really appreciate it.

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting really frustrated.. so I can set up a hotspot via command prompt admin (virtual router isn't working anymore and i cant reinstall it for some reason) and the same thing thing is happening. The 3DS is picking up the attwifi and gets the Nintendo Zone notification, and then I try connecting to it in Internet settings and it connects to the "Access Point" (which i think would be my computer in this situation) and when it shows the connecting to the internet from Access Point it says Connection Test Failed Error Code 003-2101 Could not connect to the internet.

It looks like everything is working fine, but the 3DS can't connect to the internet from the hotspot I set up. Any help?

Lattka23

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm getting really frustrated.. so I can set up a hotspot via command prompt admin (virtual router isn't working anymore and i cant reinstall it for some reason) and the same thing thing is happening. The 3DS is picking up the attwifi and gets the Nintendo Zone notification, and then I try connecting to it in Internet settings and it connects to the "Access Point" (which i think would be my computer in this situation) and when it shows the connecting to the internet from Access Point it says Connection Test Failed Error Code 003-2101 Could not connect to the internet.

It looks like everything is working fine, but the 3DS can't connect to the internet from the hotspot I set up. Any help?

hey. as far as i understand it you're having trouble with sharing the internet with the new access point.
i think that Virtual Router is necessary (or at least very handy) with setting up which internet connection should be shared!

i dont know which operating system your computer uses, but i've been having trouble with VR as well. it's not very stable and sometimes requires a restart to work properly again.
if i were you i'd try out 2 things:
a) getting VR to work. either running it as administrator or using a compatibility mode (W7 or windows xp)
b) setting up the sharing manually. you have to google further for this option, but there might be an option to share your internet via console (cmd.exe)

hope it helps!

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey. as far as i understand it you're having trouble with sharing the internet with the new access point.
i think that Virtual Router is necessary (or at least very handy) with setting up which internet connection should be shared!

i dont know which operating system your computer uses, but i've been having trouble with VR as well. it's not very stable and sometimes requires a restart to work properly again.
if i were you i'd try out 2 things:
a) getting VR to work. either running it as administrator or using a compatibility mode (W7 or windows xp)
b) setting up the sharing manually. you have to google further for this option, but there might be an option to share your internet via console (cmd.exe)

hope it helps!

Thanks for the help but something happened where i tried uninstalling and reinstalling VR and it ended up not getting all the files so whenever I try to install it wont let me theres some error about a missing file and theres literally nothing that can be done at this point

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I skipped the virtual router on Windows 7. Works much better to just use the command line for me.

I've been trying command line but my 3DS gets the hotspot attwifi, I type in the password, and it starts connecting. It shows it connecting to the router but when it tries going to the internet sign it stops. Also, do I need to be connected both via ethernet and wifi, or can i be connected just wifi? because when I tried both I get some weird error code 003-1101 as where before with the Internet only I would get as far as trying to connect to the internet and it would stop me, along with a different error code. When trying both wifi and ethernet cable, I would only get as far as connecting to the access point, and it would try connecting for an unusually loong time

Ace_demo2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying command line but my 3DS gets the hotspot attwifi, I type in the password, and it starts connecting. It shows it connecting to the router but when it tries going to the internet sign it stops. Also, do I need to be connected both via ethernet and wifi, or can i be connected just wifi? because when I tried both I get some weird error code 003-1101 as where before with the Internet only I would get as far as trying to connect to the internet and it would stop me, along with a different error code. When trying both wifi and Ethernet cable, I would only get as far as connecting to the access point, and it would try connecting for an unusually long time
Sorry to be patronizing (i don't intend to), but have you followed the guide. After a bit of a struggle i managed to get it working. Anyhow this is what worked for me.

Instructions for setting up a network on Windows
You need:
A. a computer/laptop/tablet with built-in wireless network card
or
B. a computer/laptop/tablet with a wifi USB dongle (wireless USB adapter)
Create a hosted network
1. Open a command prompt as an admin (Search CMD in start menu, right click > run as admin)
2. Type this in the command prompt window:
Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=password
You can change "password" to any password you want.
3. Type this into the command prompt:
Code:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
You can type this to turn off the network:
Code:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
and this to view the configuration:
Code:
netsh wlan show hostednetwork
4. Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
5. You will see a network named "attwifi" there, labeled "Local Area Connection XX". Whichever network you are using for internet (not the "attwifi) , select it. Right click and select Properties. Head over to the sharing tab and tick the first box. Select the "Local Area Connection" you saw earlier. Press OK. Back in Network Connections, select your Wi-Fi adapter (not attwifi or the ethernet connection) and rename it to "Wi-Fi". You can see the screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/UtU3oD0.png
6. Open the 3DS and go into Internet settings. Select "attwifi" and type in your password. Close settings.
7. Download MAC Cycle from the first post. You may choose either MAX (cycles 100) or Normal (15). Run it. It will ask you for how much time you want between MACs. The recommendation is 15. You must type it in seconds, 15 minutes = 900 seconds.
8. Leave it running. Enjoy!

another key point to remember is ICS requires 192.168.0.1 as its network so change your lan to e.g. 192.168.1.1 lastly people should get to using programs like MACycle. As it is pretty handy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(