My 2023 guide to New Super Ultimate Injector

JDLM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using New Super Ultimate Injector to overhaul my virtual console library of games on my 3DS, and have found that there's lots of information to be learned and understood if you want to do it properly. The problem is, this information isn't always readily available or easy to find, and is rather niche, so I've had to do some of my own research on things. There are still lots of people asking questions or seeking help with NSUI without getting an answer. And although I don't know everything, I thought I'd just share here what I've learned and maybe it can help other people who are also trying to use NSUI. This guide assumes the use of Beta 28, as that is the latest (and likely the last) version. If any of my information is straight up incorrect, or this guide would better belong in a different forum, please let me know.

For starters, the download links for both Beta 27 and Beta 28 (on this site, at least) are disabled for unknown reasons. But you can find NSUI on Gamebrew or archive.org in either of those versions.

This guide will exclusively cover injecting NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA games. Game Gear is also very straightforward so I won't need to cover it. I'm not sure how Famicom Disk System injection works unfortunately.

Credit to Asdolo, of course, for making this great software.

Banners/Fonts
The closest font to what the official VC titles use for banners is one called "SCE-PS3 Rodin Latin BOLD". Most downloads just give you the regular version of the font, not "bold", but the bold one can be found on github. Should be easy to look up.

You may also notice that the portion of the banner that says "Released: (year)" is down at the bottom of the banner, rather than just underneath the game's title like official games have it. It's also a little more squished. This is a NSUI thing, and if you want to get around it, you'll need to follow the instructions over at this thread to manually change how the lines are spaced and such. This thread also has great info on several aspects of making your banners look good, and how official ones are formatted. It also has a link to a download for SCE-PS3 Rodin Latin "BOLD" that just takes you to the regular non-bold version lol.

A few notable console-specific things with other aspects of the banner. On SNES, NSUI gives you an option to add cartridge images to the SNES' cartridge model. If you go to "Customize... > Cart image > Load cart image...", there appears to be an option to add said cart image. Here's the kicker: this button does absolutely nothing! It seems unlikely this may ever be fixed, but who knows. There may be other ways to manually work around this and add the images yourself, but I wouldn't be sure how.

The default cartridge colors for different consoles are pretty good, but I found that the one for GBA on the 3D console model (which got added with Beta 28) is a little dark. I changed the color to #444444 and it seems to look pretty good and more distinguishable.

Sometimes, you might not be able to download or find the game's title screen in the database. If this happens, you can find very good images of title screens for any individual game on a wiki called "The Cutting Room Floor". If it's a Game Boy game, and you want the title screen to be without color, TCRF doesn't have those images, since theirs are in color. Instead, you can actually go into "Injection options" and hit "Test game". A little emulator will come up and you can pause it at the title screen and take a screenshot. Then, while still leaving the emulator open (you have to so that the temp1 folder we're about to go to doesn't disappear), navigate to the folder that NSUI is in, go to temp1, then screenshots. It will be in there and you can copy it somewhere else and use it as your title screen image. Usually you don't have to do this, as the image will be in NSUI's database. I've only found that I myself have needed to do this for Pokémon Red and Blue, as the title screens in the database for those show a different pokemon besides Charmander/Squirtle (they cycle as you idle on the screen), which just doesn't look as official or iconic.

Alright let's move on to other console-specific stuff.

NES
One thing I've found with NES is that if you're injecting with regular Virtual Console, some games may sometimes claim to be incompatible. Finding a different ROM of the same game always seemed to solve this. This is not the case with incompatible SNES games. They will never work with regular VC, and require emulation. For this reason, because I have OCD and want my injection methods to be consistent across the whole board, I've opted to inject every single one of my games using RetroArch emulation.

Some games that NSUI said were incompatible but worked after I got a different rom:
- Castlevania
- Donkey Kong: Original Edition (worked when I got it off of archive.org)
- Dr. Mario
- Mega Man
- Pro Wrestling

Based on some brief and perhaps not fully exhaustive research/testing, I've found that if you don't want to use official VC injection, Nestopia and FCEUmm are the two most solid options if you have a N3DS, and QuickNES is the best if you have an O3DS (I can't confirm how well QuickNES works though). VirtuaNES appears to be old and inaccurate, according to an emulation wiki. For me specifically, I found that FCEUmm worked better than Nestopia for me due to avoiding a hard crash that Nestopia gives my 3DS when I inject and run Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (a .nes version of it I found on archive.org that was converted from .fds format). I'm not sure if it does this with every game as I haven't tested yet, but it crashed with Lost Levels. Frankly, it wouldn't make sense for Nestopia to just crash with every game, so see what works for you.

Also, when using FCEUmm, going into core-specific options and setting the sound quality to "high" prevents the "fast forward" feature from working at all. If this matters to you, set the sound quality to "low". I personally didn't hear a difference at all but idk maybe I'm deaf.

I'll use this section to also explain what I know about the "bilinear filter" and "pixel perfect" options for the screen. Basically, old games like these did not have perfectly square pixels. They were slightly stretched in order to fit the aspect ratio of most TVs. The games were never made the way that "pixel perfect" shows. It's just an option for if you really want the pixels to be square, and if you like the slightly sharper look it may give. This is where bilinear filters come in. Due to pixels being slightly stretched as they normally are, the bilinear option offers the ability to kinda "blur" any weird looking inconsistencies that may result from said stretching. A lot of this is personal preference. I myself prefer keeping the aspect ratio to the "recommended" setting, not pixel perfect, and removing the bilinear filter. It looks more clear without it.

SNES
If you're trying to inject using regular Virtual Console, note that these games will not work, at least for the US versions (this is not a full list, these are just from the selection of games I was trying, there are definitely more that don't work, I'm sure):

- Kirby Super Star
- Kirby's Dream Land 3
- Star Fox
- Star Fox 2
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

From what I know, Snes9X is a very good emulation option, and the one you should choose if you have an O3DS. I can't say how well it runs, however, as I haven't tested it myself. I can say, however, that CATSFC Plus runs horribly, from my testing (unless there's some kind of overclock setting or something that I'm missing).

As stated earlier, the option to add an image to the banner's cartridge does nothing.

When setting default options in NSUI's settings, for some reason SNES specifically will only show Snes9X button mapping options. So if you're using a RetroArch core for your SNES injects and you want special button mappings, you'll have to individually set them for every SNES CIA (unless you're making every CIA back-to-back, in which case your settings persist until the project is closed).

Game Boy
Regular VC injection doesn't have compatibility issues with games, but it does have a really bad color palette issue if you want to add color to your GB games. When you set a palette and test the game, it will badly screw up the palette and placements of colors for several games. I found this in particular with Donkey Kong Land. Some games seemed to look passable, like Pokémon Red. But in Donkey Kong Land's case, colors just looked inverted, and the kongs on the title screen looked demonic. I checked many times to confirm my palettes were the correct ones (I made them based off of the info at this Cutting Room Floor page here.), and indeed, they were correct. So it's definitely a NSUI issue with implementing custom color palettes with regular VC injection.

The solution, of course: emulation! Gambatte is the best choice here (TGB doesn't allow for adding color), as well as for GBC. I've attached a zip folder of my palettes here, which includes palettes you can import into NSUI that give colors to GB games that you'd see if you played those GB games on a GBC. US version of games are assumed, but palettes for other versions can be made, of course. It also includes the default palette that a GBC shows if there isn't a "special" assigned palette to a specific game. My folder includes the official palettes for many of the bigger name games.

A few other things. In Gambatte's core-specific options, be sure to have "color correction" set to disabled. Otherwise, your colors will look really washed out and less vibrant/accurate. Be sure to set "emulated hardware" to GBC, and color to "auto" or "custom". Auto will apply the default green and blue-looking palette (it's the same palette that you get on a real GBC if you hold A + Right on bootup). For any games that have a special palette assigned to them (like the ones in my folder), you'll need to select "custom", then import or manually make your palette. Note that you won't be able to have a special Game Boy border with pixel perfect mode on (from holding Start or Select while booting the game) if you use emulation, as that's only a thing for regular VC.

Note that in Gambatte, I found some Pokémon games like Red/Blue/Yellow to crash when trying to use the save/load state, rewind, or slow motion RetroArch features. More games might do this too. Many also work just fine.

Game Boy Color
I don't think I have too much to say about GBC, really. If you're emulating it, Gambatte is the best choice here too. You can't inject a GB game into NSUI as a GBC game either.

One interesting discrepancy is the fact that Pokémon Yellow is actually a GB game, not a GBC one, despite the fact that Nintendo's official CIA for Pokémon Yellow is a GBC game. If you're using an injected version of Pokémon Yellow, rather than the official one, you'll have to sacrifice the enhanced GBC colors and settle for either the colors of GB or GB played on GBC. My palettes include the one for Yellow too.

Game Boy Advance
GBA games are probably the biggest reason people use NSUI: Nintendo only gave us 10 games. That's not very many. And you can't even get them through normal means unless you mod the system (or, at least, couldn't before the eShop closed).

Beta 28 also adds a really nice-looking custom GBA 3D banner model. All the more reason to use it, unless you wanna stick with the "official" 3D frames Nintendo gave us, that's fine too. That's still an option you can pick. You can even use that 3D frame for other systems too, and customize its color.

Anyways, regular VC injection works very well, and emulation... not as much, at least from my testing. mGBA is the one I went with (I didn't try GpSP). I don't really see a need to change any of mGBA's settings, but it just seems to overall be a more well-known emulator anyway, and we know that it works well. It just doesn't seem to on the 3DS. Similarly to the SNES situation, I'm not 100% sure if it's simply the 3DS hardware being unable to handle the emulation, or some kind of overclocking I neglected to do that is required. I imagine that if mGBA and friends just straight up didn't run well at all, they wouldn't have been put into NSUI in the first place? idk

For the icon, be sure to select "Fit image by width". GBA games differ in this area compared to the other systems due to their aspect ratio. As for the banner, if you're using the 3D GBA model, you don't need to vertically adjust the title screen image at all. If you're using the 3D frame rather than the 3D GBA model for the banner, you can adjust it how you feel is best.

If you're using regular VC injection, the save type for each game must be manually selected. As far as I know, Beta 28 always selects the correct one by default, but I'm not 100% sure if this is always the case (it's never given me any issues), so be sure to verify that it's the right one. There are sites with databases that tell you. If a save type includes RTC in the name, that means "real time clock" which is what saves use to track time in games such as Pokémon Emerald (like for growing berries and stuff).

I stated it earlier too, but I'll mention it here. The 3D GBA banner, just like all others with cartridges, can have its cartridge color customized. I found #444444 to be a more accurate looking shade of gray for the cartridge than the default #323232, which looks a little dark.

Well I think that's it. I may not be able to answer all questions, I'm just sharing what I've found myself. And if any of my information is wrong, again, please let me know. If there's a better forum for me to put this in, let me know too. I just want to help people that are still wanting to use this software but aren't able to find certain information or help with it. Hopefully some people find this useful. I may also update this post as time goes, or update information as I continue my VC project.

Attachments

• GBC Palettes.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by JDLM,

G_Brood

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've also been messing around with NSUI 28 for some time now and have more difficulties with the official Emulators. Retroarch is good, but I don't like the interface and options. I found the SCE-PS3 Rodin Latin BOLD font on github surprisingly. I can't post links, but I think it's easy to find.

JDLM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've also been messing around with NSUI 28 for some time now and have more difficulties with the official Emulators. Retroarch is good, but I don't like the interface and options. I found the SCE-PS3 Rodin Latin BOLD font on github surprisingly. I can't post links, but I think it's easy to find.
Thanks! Found the font where you're referring to and updated the guide with that

Last edited by JDLM,
Reactions: G_Brood

Bran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decided I'd finally make an account just to say that you can in fact load GB games as GBC games by clicking on the file type selector and setting it to (.) or all and just... selecting the .gb file. I've used this to play several colorization hacks on my own system, notably Mario Land 2 DX and Kirby's Dreamland 2 DX (though Dreamland 2 has some slowdown). If you use an IPS patch for it you can even load it without patching the rom yourself. I've done that with Kirby's Pinball Land DX in particular.

Last edited by Bran,
Reactions: patters

Riot20052

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using New Super Ultimate Injector to overhaul my virtual console library of games on my 3DS, and have found that there's lots of information to be learned and understood if you want to do it properly. The problem is, this information isn't always readily available or easy to find, and is rather niche, so I've had to do some of my own research on things. There are still lots of people asking questions or seeking help with NSUI without getting an answer. And although I don't know everything, I thought I'd just share here what I've learned and maybe it can help other people who are also trying to use NSUI. This guide assumes the use of Beta 28, as that is the latest (and likely the last) version. If any of my information is straight up incorrect, or this guide would better belong in a different forum, please let me know.

For starters, the download links for both Beta 27 and Beta 28 (on this site, at least) are disabled for unknown reasons. But you can find NSUI on Gamebrew or archive.org in either of those versions.

This guide will exclusively cover injecting NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA games. Game Gear is also very straightforward so I won't need to cover it. I'm not sure how Famicom Disk System injection works unfortunately.

Credit to Asdolo, of course, for making this great software.

Banners/Fonts
The closest font to what the official VC titles use for banners is one called "SCE-PS3 Rodin Latin BOLD". Most downloads just give you the regular version of the font, not "bold", but the bold one can be found on github. Should be easy to look up.

You may also notice that the portion of the banner that says "Released: (year)" is down at the bottom of the banner, rather than just underneath the game's title like official games have it. It's also a little more squished. This is a NSUI thing, and if you want to get around it, you'll need to follow the instructions over at this thread to manually change how the lines are spaced and such. This thread also has great info on several aspects of making your banners look good, and how official ones are formatted. It also has a link to a download for SCE-PS3 Rodin Latin "BOLD" that just takes you to the regular non-bold version lol.

A few notable console-specific things with other aspects of the banner. On SNES, NSUI gives you an option to add cartridge images to the SNES' cartridge model. If you go to "Customize... > Cart image > Load cart image...", there appears to be an option to add said cart image. Here's the kicker: this button does absolutely nothing! It seems unlikely this may ever be fixed, but who knows. There may be other ways to manually work around this and add the images yourself, but I wouldn't be sure how.

The default cartridge colors for different consoles are pretty good, but I found that the one for GBA on the 3D console model (which got added with Beta 28) is a little dark. I changed the color to #444444 and it seems to look pretty good and more distinguishable.

Sometimes, you might not be able to download or find the game's title screen in the database. If this happens, you can find very good images of title screens for any individual game on a wiki called "The Cutting Room Floor". If it's a Game Boy game, and you want the title screen to be without color, TCRF doesn't have those images, since theirs are in color. Instead, you can actually go into "Injection options" and hit "Test game". A little emulator will come up and you can pause it at the title screen and take a screenshot. Then, while still leaving the emulator open (you have to so that the temp1 folder we're about to go to doesn't disappear), navigate to the folder that NSUI is in, go to temp1, then screenshots. It will be in there and you can copy it somewhere else and use it as your title screen image. Usually you don't have to do this, as the image will be in NSUI's database. I've only found that I myself have needed to do this for Pokémon Red and Blue, as the title screens in the database for those show a different pokemon besides Charmander/Squirtle (they cycle as you idle on the screen), which just doesn't look as official or iconic.

Alright let's move on to other console-specific stuff.

NES
One thing I've found with NES is that if you're injecting with regular Virtual Console, some games may sometimes claim to be incompatible. Finding a different ROM of the same game always seemed to solve this. This is not the case with incompatible SNES games. They will never work with regular VC, and require emulation. For this reason, because I have OCD and want my injection methods to be consistent across the whole board, I've opted to inject every single one of my games using RetroArch emulation.

Some games that NSUI said were incompatible but worked after I got a different rom:
- Castlevania
- Donkey Kong: Original Edition (worked when I got it off of archive.org)
- Dr. Mario
- Mega Man
- Pro Wrestling

Based on some brief and perhaps not fully exhaustive research/testing, I've found that if you don't want to use official VC injection, Nestopia and FCEUmm are the two most solid options if you have a N3DS, and QuickNES is the best if you have an O3DS (I can't confirm how well QuickNES works though). VirtuaNES appears to be old and inaccurate, according to an emulation wiki. For me specifically, I found that FCEUmm worked better than Nestopia for me due to avoiding a hard crash that Nestopia gives my 3DS when I inject and run Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (a .nes version of it I found on archive.org that was converted from .fds format). I'm not sure if it does this with every game as I haven't tested yet, but it crashed with Lost Levels. Frankly, it wouldn't make sense for Nestopia to just crash with every game, so see what works for you.

Also, when using FCEUmm, going into core-specific options and setting the sound quality to "high" prevents the "fast forward" feature from working at all. If this matters to you, set the sound quality to "low". I personally didn't hear a difference at all but idk maybe I'm deaf.

I'll use this section to also explain what I know about the "bilinear filter" and "pixel perfect" options for the screen. Basically, old games like these did not have perfectly square pixels. They were slightly stretched in order to fit the aspect ratio of most TVs. The games were never made the way that "pixel perfect" shows. It's just an option for if you really want the pixels to be square, and if you like the slightly sharper look it may give. This is where bilinear filters come in. Due to pixels being slightly stretched as they normally are, the bilinear option offers the ability to kinda "blur" any weird looking inconsistencies that may result from said stretching. A lot of this is personal preference. I myself prefer keeping the aspect ratio to the "recommended" setting, not pixel perfect, and removing the bilinear filter. It looks more clear without it.

SNES
If you're trying to inject using regular Virtual Console, note that these games will not work, at least for the US versions (this is not a full list, these are just from the selection of games I was trying, there are definitely more that don't work, I'm sure):

- Kirby Super Star
- Kirby's Dream Land 3
- Star Fox
- Star Fox 2
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

From what I know, Snes9X is a very good emulation option, and the one you should choose if you have an O3DS. I can't say how well it runs, however, as I haven't tested it myself. I can say, however, that CATSFC Plus runs horribly, from my testing (unless there's some kind of overclock setting or something that I'm missing).

As stated earlier, the option to add an image to the banner's cartridge does nothing.

When setting default options in NSUI's settings, for some reason SNES specifically will only show Snes9X button mapping options. So if you're using a RetroArch core for your SNES injects and you want special button mappings, you'll have to individually set them for every SNES CIA (unless you're making every CIA back-to-back, in which case your settings persist until the project is closed).

Game Boy
Regular VC injection doesn't have compatibility issues with games, but it does have a really bad color palette issue if you want to add color to your GB games. When you set a palette and test the game, it will badly screw up the palette and placements of colors for several games. I found this in particular with Donkey Kong Land. Some games seemed to look passable, like Pokémon Red. But in Donkey Kong Land's case, colors just looked inverted, and the kongs on the title screen looked demonic. I checked many times to confirm my palettes were the correct ones (I made them based off of the info at this Cutting Room Floor page here.), and indeed, they were correct. So it's definitely a NSUI issue with implementing custom color palettes with regular VC injection.

The solution, of course: emulation! Gambatte is the best choice here (TGB doesn't allow for adding color), as well as for GBC. I've attached a zip folder of my palettes here, which includes palettes you can import into NSUI that give colors to GB games that you'd see if you played those GB games on a GBC. US version of games are assumed, but palettes for other versions can be made, of course. It also includes the default palette that a GBC shows if there isn't a "special" assigned palette to a specific game. My folder includes the official palettes for many of the bigger name games.

A few other things. In Gambatte's core-specific options, be sure to have "color correction" set to disabled. Otherwise, your colors will look really washed out and less vibrant/accurate. Be sure to set "emulated hardware" to GBC, and color to "auto" or "custom". Auto will apply the default green and blue-looking palette (it's the same palette that you get on a real GBC if you hold A + Right on bootup). For any games that have a special palette assigned to them (like the ones in my folder), you'll need to select "custom", then import or manually make your palette. Note that you won't be able to have a special Game Boy border with pixel perfect mode on (from holding Start or Select while booting the game) if you use emulation, as that's only a thing for regular VC.

Note that in Gambatte, I found some Pokémon games like Red/Blue/Yellow to crash when trying to use the save/load state, rewind, or slow motion RetroArch features. More games might do this too. Many also work just fine.

Game Boy Color
I don't think I have too much to say about GBC, really. If you're emulating it, Gambatte is the best choice here too. You can't inject a GB game into NSUI as a GBC game either.

One interesting discrepancy is the fact that Pokémon Yellow is actually a GB game, not a GBC one, despite the fact that Nintendo's official CIA for Pokémon Yellow is a GBC game. If you're using an injected version of Pokémon Yellow, rather than the official one, you'll have to sacrifice the enhanced GBC colors and settle for either the colors of GB or GB played on GBC. My palettes include the one for Yellow too.

Game Boy Advance
GBA games are probably the biggest reason people use NSUI: Nintendo only gave us 10 games. That's not very many. And you can't even get them through normal means unless you mod the system (or, at least, couldn't before the eShop closed).

Beta 28 also adds a really nice-looking custom GBA 3D banner model. All the more reason to use it, unless you wanna stick with the "official" 3D frames Nintendo gave us, that's fine too. That's still an option you can pick. You can even use that 3D frame for other systems too, and customize its color.

Anyways, regular VC injection works very well, and emulation... not as much, at least from my testing. mGBA is the one I went with (I didn't try GpSP). I don't really see a need to change any of mGBA's settings, but it just seems to overall be a more well-known emulator anyway, and we know that it works well. It just doesn't seem to on the 3DS. Similarly to the SNES situation, I'm not 100% sure if it's simply the 3DS hardware being unable to handle the emulation, or some kind of overclocking I neglected to do that is required. I imagine that if mGBA and friends just straight up didn't run well at all, they wouldn't have been put into NSUI in the first place? idk

For the icon, be sure to select "Fit image by width". GBA games differ in this area compared to the other systems due to their aspect ratio. As for the banner, if you're using the 3D GBA model, you don't need to vertically adjust the title screen image at all. If you're using the 3D frame rather than the 3D GBA model for the banner, you can adjust it how you feel is best.

If you're using regular VC injection, the save type for each game must be manually selected. As far as I know, Beta 28 always selects the correct one by default, but I'm not 100% sure if this is always the case (it's never given me any issues), so be sure to verify that it's the right one. There are sites with databases that tell you. If a save type includes RTC in the name, that means "real time clock" which is what saves use to track time in games such as Pokémon Emerald (like for growing berries and stuff).

I stated it earlier too, but I'll mention it here. The 3D GBA banner, just like all others with cartridges, can have its cartridge color customized. I found #444444 to be a more accurate looking shade of gray for the cartridge than the default #323232, which looks a little dark.

Well I think that's it. I may not be able to answer all questions, I'm just sharing what I've found myself. And if any of my information is wrong, again, please let me know. If there's a better forum for me to put this in, let me know too. I just want to help people that are still wanting to use this software but aren't able to find certain information or help with it. Hopefully some people find this useful. I may also update this post as time goes, or update information as I continue my VC project.
Og Gameboy is not perfect on 3ds trust me try Pinball Fantasies crashes few second after start one few very hard emulate on gameboy.

IceBlueLugia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donkey Kong 94's colors are very odd. Are the colors at TCRF accurate? When I play the rom on mgba with GBC colors they look fine, but Mario looks completely wrong with this imported palette

EDIT: Alright, so I tested other games and the whole alternate palette importing thing is just implemented totally wrong, at least in NSUI Beta 28. I import the exact colors into both mGBA, NSUI official VC, and NSUI Gambatte and the official VC colors are always completely wrong when testing the game. Really no clue what happened, maybe someone switched which colors were assigned to which palette button by accident but I'm too lazy to test everything

Last edited by IceBlueLugia,

Burgundio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Amazing guide, if I may add, there seems to be a way to add the cartridge art on the SNES games, but through a different injection software. Haven't quite figured it out yet due to time constraints, but will leave the guide I found here:

https://wololo.net/2016/05/15/3ds-full-snes-3ds-injection-guide-banners-unique-ids/

For the cartridge art, I noticed that the box art and cartridge art have a few details that make them different. This was the best database of SNES cartridge arts that I've managed to find:

https://snescentral.com/scan_index.php

Regarding coloring GB games, I've run into the same problem with the VC console but never considered RetroArch as an alternative. I generated a few cias with RetroArch and they do look right, the only problem I'm encountering is that the RetroArch Menu text looks glitched. Have you run into the same problem? Haven't seen a single person addressing a solution to this...
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and another neat detail regarding some GB/GBC/GBA cartridges is that there are multiple different colors for them. Colored cartridges were not a feature on official VC games, but I do find it to give a special touch to the banner.

First, we have special cases, games with special colors such as the well-known Pokemon ones. Sadly I couldn't find a well-documented list of every special cartridge there was, but I did manage to find this forum with most GB/GBC:

http://www.timbob.nl/carts/cart guide.htm

(There are a few bootlegs mixed in, such as "Pokemon Jade", but it's pretty easy to tell which ones aren't official games)

For GBA cartridges, I couldn't find a list, just a bunch of photos some collectors took.

As mentioned before, due to the lack of documentation for these cartridges, sadly I couldn't find the official color codes. Finding the right one to use is impossible, most of the cartridges are washed out, many are bootleg, others were refurbished, and the lighting of where it was taken are all things that sum to make it unviable. I decided to just pick any color that closest resembled what I believed would be the correct hue.

Second, GBC cartridges came in two different types: Black and Transparent. Here is a video detailing their differences:

The black cartridges are backward compatible and can be played on GB consoles. The clear cartridges have a different shape and are transparent. The best way to find out which is which is by looking at this Wikipedia list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_Color_games

Any game with "Dual Mode" has a black Cartridge, every other has a clear cartridge. Since you can't change the transparency of the cartridge, I used a light gray such as 4c4c4c to mimic the effect as close as possible.

Last edited by Burgundio,

SWChris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like a good topic to dump these instructions for how to make a Super Game Boy .cia game launcher with mGBA that loads the Super Game Boy backdrops automatically. I don't think this is technically a forwarder as a copy of mGBA is embedded in each .cia file you generate. For the later steps I used New Super Ultimate Injector beta 28.

I am not a programmer. I have no idea how to use Cmake or Docker normally, and I cobbled this process together from a couple different places. So these instructions are as dummy-proof as I can make them because I too am a dummy and I wanted to be able to repeat this process later on. :)

How to create a Super Game Boy CIA file

1. Install CMake.

2. Install and open Docker Desktop.

3. Complete the Docker tutorial to familiarize yourself with how this works.

4. In a Windows Powershell window, type the following commands
docker run --name repomgba alpine/git clone https://github.com/TobiasBielefeld/mgba.git
docker cp repomgba:/git/mgba .
cd mgba
(NOTE: If you have to close the powershell window or restart your computer, I think you can get back to this by just running the last two commands. Maybe the last 3. I haven't tried it. But you likely won't blow up anything by experimenting.

5. Open an Explorer window and navigate to C:\Users\<username>\res\3ds_custom_data. Docker should have created the mgba directory and its contents from the github repository. Set this window aside.

6. Now you need to create a rom using New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS. You will use this to generate the banner.bnr and icon.icn files. Export the game as a CIA.

7. In New Super Ultimate Injector, choose Tools > CIA extract and build

8. Drag the CIA file you just created to the window that opens.

9. Click on the game name, then click on the "Extract 1 CIA(s)" button.

10. Click "Open extract folder of 1 CIA(s).

11. In the explorer window that pops up, go to extracted > ExtractedExeFS. Copy the banner.bnr and icon.icn files to the 3ds_custom_data folder you opened in Step 4.

12. Next, open path.txt in that same folder. This file contains the relative file location of the roms on your SD card in your 3DS. Write the path to the rom file you want to use Super Game Boy with in this txt file and save it. The path will take spaces, so don't worry about that.

13. Next, you will need to use your 3DS FTP program or manually copy the rom file to that folder on your SD card.

14. In Powershell, run one final command to build the CIA:
docker run --rm -t -v ${PWD}:/home/mgba/src mgba/3ds
You may see a "Could NOT find PkgConfig (missing: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE)" error right off the bat. No worries. This appears to be normal. If you get other errors, make sure you have CMake 3.1 or newer installed, then try again.
After building is complete, you will see an mgba.cia file in C:\Users\<username>\mgba\build-3ds\install\usr\local\cia.

15. Next, you can optionally replace the homebrew banner that will appear when you launch the rom with the 3DS banner. To do so, drag the mgba.cia file to the New Super Ultimate Injector "Extract and build cia" window.

16. Add the retroarch CIA file (downloadable from retroarch.com) to the New Super Ultimate Injector "Extract and build cia" window and extract it.

17. Go to extracted > ExtractedEXEFS and copy the logo.darc.lz file and copy it to the same folder in the extracted mgba.cia folder.

18. Then in the New Super Ultimate Injector "Extract and build cia" window, click on the (Extracted) mgba.cia entry and click the "Rebuild 1 CIA(s)" button.

19. In the mgba.cia extract folder, copy the mgba_Edited.cia file and put it in a safe location. Then copy it to the /cias folder on the 3DS and use FBI to install it.

20. After installation, it will launch the rom from path.txt in a localized copy of mGBA.

21. In the game, press X to open the options. Go to Configure. Then you can enable Super Game Boy features and borders by turning "Enable SGB features" and "Enable SGB borders" on, respectively. You can also crop SGB borders so the game runs full-size. (You can also play with this setting as well as the screen mode while the game is running by pressing Y).

22. Repeat these steps from Step 4 for each additional game.

23. Enjoy!

Here are instructions for creating a custom icon for an N64 game.

This is not a forwarder!
It will only launch DaedalusX64, which is now at Version 1.0 which is surprisingly playable (with the exception of the diving game in Zelda Ocarina of Time ugh).

So really this is just if you have the space on your home screen for N64 game icons and you want them to look like all the other games you can install on the home screen, even if they don't function exactly like that. It's more of an aesthetic thing, iow.

1. Open New Super Ultimate Injector

2. Create a new TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine CIA project (you can use a different game type if you want--just pick one you're not using). This will be the temporary CIA file that we'll extract needed files from to modify the DaedalusX64 CIA into a custom launcher.

3. Fill in the information needed.

4. For the Game Icon, create a 48px icon of the game's title screen.

5. Screenshot the title screen and open it in Photoshop. In Project64, you'll have to use the Glide64 graphics plugin in the Settings box for the screenshot functionality to work.

6. Crop out any black box if it occurs in the game you're screenshotting.

7. Resize the title screen to 40x30 pixels, then copy it into the png file attached below. It should fit neatly in between the grey border and have some black bars on the top and bottom.

8. Make sure the canvas is set to 48px by 48px and the image is centered. Then export the PNG as a 48px file.

9. Resize the file to 24px and export it as a 24px PNG file.

10. Add the 48px game icon to the New Super Ultimate Injector project.

11. Click "Load image from file" and choose the screenshot you took from Project64 to create the 3D icon banner image.

12. The banner style should be 3D frame with color. The color is c0c0c0.

13. Change the banner sound to the "banner sfx for launcher cias.wav" file I attached. (It's the Mario 64 coin sound)

14. Add the title. Use All Caps for the main title if it's a ROM Hack. If it's not, use normal capitalization.

15. Save the CIA file in an temporary folder.

16. Next, go to Tools > CIA extract and rebuild.

17. Open both the temporary CIA file you created and the latest DaedalusX64 CIA file (found online).

18. Extract both CIAs.

19. Copy the information from the temporary CIA to the DaedalusX64 CIA, *especially* the Title ID and Product code.

20. Click the Large icon and select the 48px PNG icon image you made.

21. Click the Small icon and select the 24px PNG icon image you made.

22. On both CIAs, click the Open extract folder of CIA(s) button.

23. On the window that pops up, go to the temporary CIA folder > extracted and copy the ExtractedBanner folder to the same location in the DaedalusX64 launcher folder. Overwrite the files there.

24. Then in the temporary CIA folder, go to extracted > ExtractedExeFS and copy the banner.bnr and icon.icn files. Paste them into the same location in the DaedalusX64 launcher folder and overwrite the files there.

25. Back in the "CIA extract and rebuild" window, go to the DaedalusX64 CIA and click the Rebuild CIAs folder.

26. Copy the new "Edited" CIA file from the DaedalusX64 launcher folder and copy it to where you want to store this file on your PC.

27. Rename the edited CIA file to the game or ROM Hack's title.

28. Install the CIA on your 3DS.

Attachments

• icon48_Mario Kart 64.png
    icon48_Mario Kart 64.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 16
  • banner sfx for launcher cias.wav
    124.2 KB
Last edited by SWChris,
Reactions: ichig0

Chewocodonosor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
To convert PlayStation 1 files, do you know what format the source file has to be? I have two bin files and one cue file but when I try to add the file it gives me an error message saying that the file cannot be located in the location. what should I do?

champsblinder02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the guide, very detailed.

I tried a few things, but I can not get the rewind feature to work. Could someone point me to the right directions? I exported .cia with injection method mGBA with the rewind feature, of course.

Last edited by champsblinder02,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto