Country
Canada

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the wii classic controller requires some button configuring when you try to use it with a classic nes mini or can you just plug it in and play?

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Does anyone know if the wii classic controller requires some button configuring when you try to use it with a classic nes mini or can you just plug it in and play?

Original (and several fake) Wii Classic Controllers are compatible with the NES Mini. When you play NES games which only requires A, B, Select & Start buttons, they are mapped automatically on the respective buttons on the Wii Classic Controller. Original controllers can just be plugged it and you're ready to play, but for the fake ones, you need to install the latest Clovercon hmod from hakchi2.
For the mapping, I assume (have not tried it myself since I got a lousy fake one) that the Wii Classic Controller will map GB, GBC, SNES games --in case you installed them on your NES Mini-- as well perfectly, but maybe for other platforms such as Genesis, PSX, etc, you have to check the mapping via RetroArch menu (Select + Start while you're in the game).

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited by maande80,

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
If you have original controllers they will be set automatically for almost all systems including SNES, Genesis, N64 etc.

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original (and several fake) Wii Classic Controllers are compatible with the NES Mini. When you play NES games which only requires A, B, Select & Start buttons, they are mapped automatically on the respective buttons on the Wii Classic Controller. Original controllers can just be plugged it and you're ready to play, but for the fake ones, you need to install the latest Clovercon hmod from hakchi2.
For the mapping, I assume (have not tried it myself since I got a lousy fake one) that the Wii Classic Controller will map GB, GBC, SNES games --in case you installed them on your NES Mini-- as well perfectly, but maybe for other platforms such as Genesis, PSX, etc, you have to check the mapping via RetroArch menu (Select + Start while you're in the game).

Hope this helps. :)

This is helpful, thanks! How do you know the difference between a real and a fake wii classic controller? Also, do you know if the wii classic controller is compatable with extender cables like the NES classic mini controller is?

Last edited by Seiza616,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NES Classic - Unreleased Games - Part 2 (NES Gems)

There are so many Unreleased Games on the NES/Famicom, either non-USA, where I hail from:), or, just in Prototype form! These are some gems I have come across. I will do a part 3, since there are so many more to recommend!

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I stay with 2.14d or update to 2.17d ?? 2.17d seems to be useless. I was told to stay with 2.14d. I think I am staying with 2.14d.

If you are on a 64 bit operating system, 2.14 is fine. If 32 bit, then you have a flash capacity approximately 50 Mb less than those on 64 bit operating systems. This was fixed in 2.15 and on, to work optimally, ram usage wise, with x86 operating systems. But, yeah, 2.14 is perfectly fine, just so long as you are on 64 bit:)

Reactions: spotanjo3

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
This is helpful, thanks! How do you know the difference between a real and a fake wii classic controller? Also, do you know if the wii classic controller is compatable with extender cables like the NES classic mini controller is?

Sorry, I don't know the exact difference. At the time when I purchased my Wii Class-Con, the price was reasonable enough to be the price of an original controller. I had no problem at all when playing Wii games that are compatible with Wii Class-Con, so I still assume that mine is an original controller -- until the time when I used it on my NES Mini, the controller did not work at all.

Extender cables? Do you mean accessory like Nyko Extend Link? I suppose that it would be compatible to be used with Wii Class-Con, but I myself haven't tried that. As long as your alternate controller is compatible with NES Mini, I think that such accessory will be usable as well. I have two OEM extenders, both are compatible with my HORI Wii U Battle Pad controller on my NES Mini.

dial81

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
"UP+B+A = Start" for player 2 on the Famicom version not working.

Can anyone confirm that this is working for them on their Famicom version? "Trog" is what I'm trying to get it to work with but I've tried it many times with various games and can't get it to work at all. I checked the config.ini and it is indeed enabled. Also started the whole process from scratch with another download of hakchi2 with the same results.

I tested and googled all day but only found another person who seems to have the same issue with Mario on reddit.

Possible bug in latest release (2.17d)?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are on a 64 bit operating system, 2.14 is fine. If 32 bit, then you have a flash capacity approximately 50 Mb less than those on 64 bit operating systems. This was fixed in 2.15 and on, to work optimally, ram usage wise, with x86 operating systems. But, yeah, 2.14 is perfectly fine, just so long as you are on 64 bit:)

Yeah, if I am not on 64bit then I wouldn't ask that question, lol. And thanks, KMFDManic.

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone explicitly upgraded to the new custom kernel included in Hakchi 2.17d and tried to use the "power" button on wireless controllers? In all prior kernels, the button would act like Reset and return to the NES mini menu, but now it acts like Start instead.

Anyone else seen this?

Just so everyone knows the answer who might have been curious:

After considerable testing, I discovered the problem. It's not the kernel or clovercon - it's hardware.

I bought two Miniboss controllers on sale on Amazon at the same time, from the same vendor. Both came in identical packaging and look 100% identical in every respect.

One of the receivers, the earlier model, maps power to Start. The other receiver, now known to be the later model of receiver (typically bundled with the Miniboss controllers that have "Home" printed above the button instead of I/O), maps power to Home. The controllers themselves are indeed identical, the difference lies in the receiver.

Oh, well.

Rodney

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have original controllers they will be set automatically for almost all systems including SNES, Genesis, N64 etc.

In terms of arcade games that are running on a mame 2003 emulator via retroarch do I need to map buttons on the wii classic controller or will they be automatically set up as well? If they need to be mapped, how do I do so in retroarch after I access settings by pressing start and select on the wii classic controller?

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have managed to get several arcade roms to run successfully via mame 2003; however I can't seem to get street fighter 2 - hyper fighting or super street fighter 2 turbo to run. I just get a black screen when I load the roms. Has anyone been able to get these games to run on the NES mini? If so, could someone please send me a private message with the correct rom files or the website address where you downloaded them?

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
In terms of arcade games that are running on a mame 2003 emulator via retroarch do I need to map buttons on the wii classic controller or will they be automatically set up as well? If they need to be mapped, how do I do so in retroarch after I access settings by pressing start and select on the wii classic controller?
I currently only run SNES games on my system besides NES games. If I remember correctly, Mame2003 is already configured for the Wii controller. If you do need to change the button layout, you can do that in the settings of RA.

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently only run SNES games on my system besides NES games. If I remember correctly, Mame2003 is already configured for the Wii controller. If you do need to change the button layout, you can do that in the settings of RA.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the response. Where under the settings can you change the button configuration in retroarch? I looked briefly but couldn't identify anything that allowed me to make changes. Also, do you by chance know how to access the dip switches in street fighter and mortal Kombat games while using the wii classic controller? I would like to be able change the difficulty/game speed.

Edit: So I was able to locate where you would change the button configuration; however, I am confused as to how to make it work properly. When I try to change a button it for some reason reroutes the "back" button on the controller which I believe is the B button. As a result, I am able to change the buttons but I am no longer able to access settings from the main menu at that point.

Last edited by Seiza616,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-UPDATE 9-11-17 (Many changes to the HMOD Set, once again! Including, multiple Core Updates, as well as command line revisions, Bios adjustments. And, I updated RetroArch again, particularly Nestopia & FCEUMM. I completely removed FBA standard CPS2 HMOD, as FBA 2012 CPS2 is technically the same thing! So, stick to running CPS2 with MAME 2003, MAME 2010, or FBA old or FBA 2012/CPS2:) Just do not forget to install the Bios for it! Highlights of THIS Update, include Commodore 64 Update (Vice), that allows keybinding of ALL keyboard keys! It is completely awesome! I will do a video on it! I also put together a (Bios) Genesis Plus GX Lock-On (You can do several really cool tricks with it!) HMOD, which I will do a video about, probably tomorrow, along with the Vice Video:) Expect some other interesting videos this week, as well! I am gonna do one about, "Is Contra really that hard!?", then a 5000 Game Build Video!!! To get 5000 Games, requires very careful planning! Enjoy the Updates! As always, I would recommend deleting the old set and replacing with the New! If you have any questions about general set-up, I am always welcome to private messages!

Without further ado!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/6j2zoo/the_mega_hmod_thread/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1