Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the SNES Mini run on Linux? @godreborn

What I'm wondering is would it be possible to create a shortcut to power off the device from the controller. I found this:

https://github.com/CompCom/OptionsMenu

But its a bit bloated and I don't need all that and don't like the keypress menu. Just a title on the main screen where I can click it and Mini powers off. Sure I know the switch will still be up and need to be changed again but its just more convenient and would be a nice quality of life improvement.

Found a couple of comments that suggest it can be done:

You could make a fake game named shutdown. Then edit the .desktop file change exec=. To exec=bin/sh (name of your script)
Make a simple file/script and has one line of code
poweroff
using ftp move it to hakchi/rootfs/bin
I think that is the path but either way it need to be placed in the bin folder
This should power it off while still having the power switch in the on position....so at this point when remotely turn of the wifi recepticale u are basically unplugging it.
I haven't tested it but this should inturn power back on when the u turn the recepticla back on.

Madmonkey said "create a 'game' with /bin/gameover command line" Combined with the other reply, you might be able to make it work.

of that I'm not sure. I got a new computer, but a lot of stuff isn't sett up completely yet, so I can't check what using another emulator looks like. it seems to be a command, but I don't remember if it's linux based. what you're wanting, I think is highly probable that it's possible, yes, at least from my understanding of the minis.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
of that I'm not sure. I got a new computer, but a lot of stuff isn't sett up completely yet, so I can't check what using another emulator looks like. it seems to be a command, but I don't remember if it's linux based. what you're wanting, I think is highly probable that it's possible, yes, at least from my understanding of the minis.

Thats great. I thought it was based on what I recall. Haven't looked around the file system or any depth of the operating system but its nice to know its doable.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats great. I thought it was based on what I recall. Haven't looked around the file system or any depth of the operating system but its nice to know its doable.
Well, I don't know for sure. You can get a lot of plugins from a repo store. I've only used a few like Retroarch with the ozone interface.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Been looking around a bit and found out that there are actually multiple versions of Canoe out there. The later versions apparently had work done on the emulation as there were three revisions. I tried the latest version and can't say if its placebo or not but the input felt exceedingly snappy, like noticeably quick.

Another thing is command line options:

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/Command-line-arguments-(SNES-Mini)

Wondering how the down and select mod gets you back to the menu because theoretically you could use that with "-resume FILENAME.break" to reload save states via another hotkey instead of menu. This post about dual booting make the whole user system seem very simple to edit:

Generally just interested in seeing how much more we can tweak this with more quality of life mods. More research:

The options mod is comprised of two executables. The optiond executable acts as a watchdog that waits for the controller combo to be held down and executes the options executable. All files are stored with the /etc/options_menu/ folder. There are two important folders for the usage of the options menu these are the commands and scripts folders. The commands folder stores the options to be displayed on the menu. The scripts folder contains scripts executed by these commands.

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/blob/stable/clovercon/clovercon.c

I wonder if that could be repurposed to load save states via a command line ran by key combo? Seems possible:

https://github.com/DanTheMan827-Hakchi/hakchi-setting-games/tree/master/CLV-C-SET_RESET_BUTTON_COMBO

Or maybe not as each game calls its own state from its own folder and its own slot. @godreborn you ever looked under the hood of the emulator to see what else we can tweak?

The option -magfilter INTEGER seems interesting as @Sono worked wonders on DS via 3DS using the scaling correctly.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been looking around a bit and found out that there are actually multiple versions of Canoe out there. The later versions apparently had work done on the emulation as there were three revisions. I tried the latest version and can't say if its placebo or not but the input felt exceedingly snappy, like noticeably quick.

Another thing is command line options:

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/Command-line-arguments-(SNES-Mini)

Wondering how the down and select mod gets you back to the menu because theoretically you could use that with "-resume FILENAME.break" to reload save states via another hotkey instead of menu. This post about dual booting make the whole user system seem very simple to edit:

Generally just interested in seeing how much more we can tweak this with more quality of life mods. More research:

The options mod is comprised of two executables. The optiond executable acts as a watchdog that waits for the controller combo to be held down and executes the options executable. All files are stored with the /etc/options_menu/ folder. There are two important folders for the usage of the options menu these are the commands and scripts folders. The commands folder stores the options to be displayed on the menu. The scripts folder contains scripts executed by these commands.

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/blob/stable/clovercon/clovercon.c

I wonder if that could be repurposed to load save states via a command line ran by key combo? Seems possible:

https://github.com/DanTheMan827-Hakchi/hakchi-setting-games/tree/master/CLV-C-SET_RESET_BUTTON_COMBO

Or maybe not as each game calls its own state from its own folder and its own slot. @godreborn you ever looked under the hood of the emulator to see what else we can tweak?

The option -magfilter INTEGER seems interesting as @Sono worked wonders on DS via 3DS using the scaling correctly.

The nes, snes, Genesis minis are a bit confusing. I think there's a way to ftp to them, because if you use Retroarch and fuck up the menu command, you have to reflash hakchi to the system to reset it. It's especially troublesome with the Genesis mini iirc.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The nes, snes, Genesis minis are a bit confusing. I think there's a way to ftp to them, because if you use Retroarch and fuck up the menu command, you have to reflash hakchi to the system to reset it. It's especially troublesome with the Genesis mini iirc.

Yes, you can FTP in and the command line makes it quite flexible. I did play around with it a bit so when you pick a game from the menu it loads the latest save state directly. It worked but it didn't record the play time as I was accessing snapshots instead of the save state and this wasn't ideal.

Seeing as there are clover hacks that allow auto fire it should be possible to program a macro which boots savestates on a key combo. Maybe not though as its not a generic slot but specific to each game. Either way just playing around with it to see how much more we can mod it.

The updated stock builds are definitely more responsive if you've got the original 2017 FW on your SNES. The -lowlatency mode makes it especially noticeable (use Super Aleste pad config to verify) as the button response is almost instant and the lowest latency I've seen on the device.

Powering the SNES off from the menu via a dummy file with Linux command is next as it would be a nice feature. The power menu low watt standby is nice but due to its code its not recommend with a wireless pad. Makes sense but not ideal.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I agree with that. I never played them either after the hack. Recently got it out and wondered what else we could do with it. Modding for moddings sake...

Its a nice piece of hardware though, everything is so well designed and that CRT filter is almost perfect.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with that. I never played them either after the hack. Recently got it out and wondered what else we could do with it. Modding for moddings sake...

Its a nice piece of hardware though, everything is so well designed and that CRT filter is almost perfect.
The irony is that I care more about the hacks or mods, how they work, than I do about the games. That's why I stopped with the switch. I wanted to start playing games again after not for two generations.

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know if there has been talk of the nes/snes classic being able to emulate gamecube? concidering the fact it can emulate some N64 games and most PSP games i think its possiable!

nothing-to-see-here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea,all I know its Hakchi2 or something.
you can see what emulator it's using inside of the haxchi2 installer app. if you bought it used or with games already on it, I don't know if you can fix it by reflashing, if it's not using retroarch. reflashing will reinstall all games, so if you didn't do it yourself, you would lose everything. you could try getting into the retroarch menu, but with an snes controller, it would be like L and R, or select for two seconds, or possibly even the reset button that could get in you there while playing said game. it does sound like it's using the default emulator though.

Reactions: SnesNesMan

SnesNesMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
you can see what emulator it's using inside of the haxchi2 installer app. if you bought it used or with games already on it, I don't know if you can fix it by reflashing, if it's not using retroarch. reflashing will reinstall all games, so if you didn't do it yourself, you would lose everything. you could try getting into the retroarch menu, but with an snes controller, it would be like L and R, or select for two seconds, or possibly even the reset button that could get in you there while playing said game. it does sound like it's using the default emulator though.
Thanks but I dont wanna risk it as its better to have it with most of my favorite games,missing Tin Star and Rendering Ranger I can live with.All I know is that my Snes was modded just a week or so after the Snes went on sale.
In 2017.

nothing-to-see-here

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but I dont wanna risk it as its better to have it with most of my favorite games,missing Tin Star and Rendering Ranger I can live with.All I know is that my Snes was modded just a week or so after the Snes went on sale.
In 2017.
well, there pretty much is no risk with the nes or snes minis afaik, because the kernel is the same for all units (at least regionally), so you can reflash to stock if you google for the original kernel. however, I do agree that it's a pain to reflash everything when either something goes wrong or you need to make changes. it's even worse on the genesis mini due to lack of buttons to get into retroarch config, so if you mess up something like being able to get into retroarch config, you have to reflash unless you made a game of the config, which I've never done. that happened to me at least twice. have to redo the retroarch configuration if you reflash as well, so hopefully the person doesn't make a mistake and have to start over yet again. this isn't as much of a problem on the snes mini.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto