Hacking Gateway news update on 11.3 support status

keubibo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wa new update :evil: It will be a good news for a good day :yay3ds: i think i could buy next GW products in the future, they really have a good support for their product till now

Reactions: JCR1

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you've had to use a Gateway to know what a shitty company they are. I mean hell, if there is any truth to that video posted by @zoogie it's clear they don't give a rats ass about their customers anyway. Which is only confirmed in their business practices, like bricking anyone who used a different launcher.dat file, or even a corrupted one in some cases, knowingly doesn't have firm protection when they could have had it long ago, absolutely no priority to their customers by updates taking months. I don't think "continued support" is a good enough argument when their support is bullshit anyway. Especially with other options that are free, updated almost in realtime and have working support as well. Gateway may have set a precedent, but it's very clear they aren't going to do the same anytime soon, if ever again with the way they are going now. I'm just an observer.

EDIT: Okay well the video is a farce, I know but it's still the attitude that rings throughout their product.

Last edited by Majickhat55,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
There is no doubt that what Gateway did for the 3DS scene has absolutely been helpful, and many of things we're capable of with CFWs probably wouldn't be possible without the work that the Gateway team put in.

CFW would have surfaced with or without them, as the community has done a lot more and has more talented coders, instead of some triad group in some disused warehouse in Guangdong Provience, which is were my console probably got lost in.

Reactions: lincruste

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Since they are hosting their project on github, it's easy to grab the source from any release.
I don't know how Gateway manage that, but it's pretty much "no backup"
Hell, they should at least use some form of version control, even if it is a local or private repository. If they don't... well. I don't know what to say to that. lul

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW would have surfaced with or without them, as the community has done a lot more and has more talented coders, instead of some triad group in some disused warehouse in Guangdong Provience, which is were my console probably got lost in.
Maybe so. There's no confirmation that yellows8 and other closed source devs would have ever released their exploits, but Gateway served as the first confirmation that the 3DS could even BE hacked, aside from ichtfly's MSET exploit and a frozen progress bar on a certain overhyped flashcarts page.

What you say may be true, but it's a discernable fact that a good chunk of coders in the modern 3DS hacking era wouldn't be anywhere without the groundwork layed out for them by Gateway. Even the newly released safefirmlaunchhax has ties to Gateway as it's the sister exploit to the original firmlaunchhax that was documented because of the reverse engineering of Gateway.

With all this in mind though, one thing is clear. CFW reinvented the Gateway wheel, and in turn created a.. uhm.. a better wheel? Sure yeah, a better wheel.

(also lmao at that last part, sorry about your brick m8, your lost 3ds will be remembered forever)

Reactions: Quantumcat

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Most of us who have a Gateway do also use free CFW such as Luma and even use Luma as our main CFW. We just still have our Gateway cards from back in the day so we use them essentially as a second SD card slot.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What's funny is how people mock Gateway when they're the ones who gave you everything you have today. I fully agree that Gateway is basically useless right now (save for their vastly superior cheat system), but the fact remains that Gateway:

1.) Gave us the first proper method to load back ups.
2.) Gave us the first way to access 9.2+ games, ESPECIALLY games like FE:If.
3.) Gave us the cheat menu.

I'd be at least somewhat thankful, and rather impressed that they even bother to continue giving support to the card.
I am not mocking them. What I said is actually true. Gateway's CFW was once broken by an OFW update and they spend well over 2 months before making an announcement that they were working on it.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think you've had to use a Gateway to know what a shitty company they are. I mean hell, if there is any truth to that video posted by @zoogie it's clear they don't give a rats ass about their customers anyway. Which is only confirmed in their business practices, like bricking anyone who used a different launcher.dat file, or even a corrupted one in some cases, knowingly doesn't have firm protection when they could have had it long ago, absolutely no priority to their customers by updates taking months. I don't think "continued support" is a good enough argument when their support is bullshit anyway. Especially with other options that are free, updated almost in realtime and have working support as well. Gateway may have set a precedent, but it's very clear they aren't going to do the same anytime soon, if ever again with the way they are going now. I'm just an observer.

EDIT: Okay well the video is a farce, I know but it's still the attitude that rings throughout their product.

About the brick, they didn't really bricked other consoles. They just put a protection. The fault are from the clones which didn't break the protection properly when they modified the "Launcher.dat" to reuse it for themselves.

You wouldn't say it's Nintendo fault if you brick your 3DS because you used something not authorised, right?

But yeah, for newcomers, Gateway is pretty useless now.

Because if they didn't, there'd be a witch hunt by those who spent £50 - £80 on the card in the first place.

Sky3DS did it twice, and I haven't seen any witch hunt.

Last edited by davhuit,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
About the brick, they didn't really bricked other consoles. They just put a protection. The fault are from the clones which didn't break the protection properly when they modified the "Launcher.dat" to reuse it for themselves.
Even as somebody who owns a Gateway, I don't buy this. Gateway put code in which specifically targetted clones and intentionally bricked consoles using those clones knowing full well that clone compabies would miss the malicious code. It's not a case of the consoles being bricked due to the clone's poor compatibility, Gateway intentionally bricked consoles by planting brick code.

This is not an acceptable way to 'protect' your product, and Nintendo would rightly be roasted over the coals if they pulled a similar stunt. What if Nintendo put brick code into a new firmware update which targetted any console with an arm9loaderhax.bin file on their SD card, for example? Would that be acceptable?

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: Majickhat55

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
(also lmao at that last part, sorry about your brick m8, your lost 3ds will be remembered forever)

Lol, it was my one and only first that I bonded with from day 1:cry:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even as somebody who owns a Gateway, I don't buy this. Gateway put code in which specifically targetted clones and intentionally bricked consoles using those clones knowing full well that clone compabies would miss the malicious code. It's not a case of the consoles being bricked due to the clone's poor compatibility, Gateway intentionally bricked consoles by planting brick code.

You are forgetting one thing though, the brick code (BSOD) was randomly triggered in their version 2.02b when using the diagnostics test on Legitmate GW cards.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar

This is not an acceptable way to 'protect' your product, and Nintendo would rightly be roasted over the coals if they pulled a similar stunt. What if Nintendo put brick code into a new firmware update which targetted any console with an arm9loaderhax.bin file on their SD card, for example? Would that be acceptable?
Just FYI, you are both right.

There were 2 seperate incidents. The whole intentional bricking thing was the first one. The protection thing was the second (last year I believe) where super card didn't do a good job breaking that protection to be used in their cards. So users who used a non proper launcher.dat on the supercard's flashcart bricked.

Obviously the first incident was a disasterous choice no matter how you look at it, not sure what they were really thinking. The second incident though isn't their fault. It was supercard's fault. It like installing psp firmware on a ps4 and just wonder why it bricked

Last edited by Madridi,

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just when I thought we were having the most civil GW thread ever, we once again delve into the ethics debate. Like many other pertaining to ethics, isn't a simple 0/1, yes/no, black/white thing. I guess it's like a spectrum. All I can say is rather than do this yet again for the umpteenth time, let's just put that behind us and see what they have to offer when they actually get to it.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't give a fuck about Gateway and their 80$ bricking devices but please don't ever compare hackers who offers their code, exploits and technical specs for free with those greedy motherfuckers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.