Hacking Gateway news update on 11.3 support status

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well technically they have 'revolutionized the 3ds scene' in the past, just completely unintentionally because it was due to someone (good guy yifan-lu) reverse engineering their code and documenting it, effectively bridging the gap for CFW on 9.2. Gotta love that Gateway scorn :P

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay..... they made some stupid choices BUT how many flashcard suppliers still support their card after 4 years?

I still use it as I can't seem to find any good reason to (potentially) mess up my 4.5 O3DS(XL) for CFW in order to do what? Play some illegal games? I can do that right now. Start-up my 3DS a few seconds faster? Whoop-di-f**ng-doo!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Okay..... they made some stupid choices BUT how many flashcard suppliers still support their card after 4 years?

I still use it as I can't seem to find any good reason to (potentially) mess up my 4.5 O3DS(XL) for CFW in order to do what? Play some illegal games? I can do that right now. Start-up my 3DS a few seconds faster? Whoop-di-f**ng-doo!
You're more likely to mess up your console with Gateway than without it. There's lots of ways Gateway can screw up your console when you're just doing seemingly innocent things actually documented in their website.

Reactions: retrofan_k

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They didn't fix anything, it's only an announcement that they are working on it and a notice to not update to 11.3.
Yeah, I impressed that they actually made an announcement. I was expecting people to wait another 4 months, like they did before.

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did the gateway "team" even wrote any code themselves? looks like theyve just stolen other peoples work.
Same with Datel and their incredibly cool Powersaves 3DS, which definately does not contain any code made by Kaphotics and SciresM...

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Did the gateway "team" even wrote any code themselves? looks like theyve just stolen other peoples work.
Same with Datel and their incredibly cool Powersaves 3DS, which definately does not contain any code made by Kaphotics and SciresM...
Everything about this post is nonsense.

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
yes, since it was the 1st ever device to get free game and allowing cfw without anything else public. (2013, aka "it was the good time" :P)

Maybe the only code they wrote, if it's not the in-game menu (lol)

Last edited by Arck,

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
yes, since it was the 1st ever device to get free game and allowing cfw without anything else public. (2013, aka "it was the good time" :P)

Maybe the only code they wrote, if it's not the in-game menu (lol)
they also made the 1st ever downgrader 9.2 -> 4.5 (when 9.2 was the latest)

But it was not and still not perfect. (I have heard the downgrade file are from a dev console)

Last edited by ZoNtendo,
Reactions: adrifcastr

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
they also made the 1st ever downgrader 9.2 -> 4.5 (when 9.2 was the latest)

But it was not and still not perfect. (I have heard the downgrade file are from a dev console)
Oh yeah I forgot about that

Hum they made a lot of cool thing, but there was all replaced by better stuff (better downgrader ect...)

Maybe it'll be sighax, let's hope, I don't see what will "revolutionize" if it's not that.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Do you really trust their "Next big thing" though?

The last time they had a "big thing" to show, it was a botched A9LH install which didn't work for most, and those which did work - had a high risk of bricking their systems (much like OTP-less). Of course, this was fixed months after initial release when the community version of A9LH was pretty much safe and posed a much smaller risk to begin with.

It will mostly likely be re-branded/re-worded files/tools of the community findings, along with maybe some of their own DRM code botched in. There isn't much to revolutionize imo, that I can think of, that will better with what we have now.

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's funny is how people mock Gateway when they're the ones who gave you everything you have today. I fully agree that Gateway is basically useless right now (save for their vastly superior cheat system), but the fact remains that Gateway:

1.) Gave us the first proper method to load back ups.
2.) Gave us the first way to access 9.2+ games, ESPECIALLY games like FE:If.
3.) Gave us the cheat menu.

I'd be at least somewhat thankful, and rather impressed that they even bother to continue giving support to the card.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be at least somewhat thankful, and rather impressed that they even bother to continue giving support to the card.

Because if they didn't, there'd be a witch hunt by those who spent £50 - £80 on the card in the first place.

Show interest in the product (i.e continue to develop for Gateway) and you'll make money from customers buying your product. Stop development and abandon it and you'll lose money faster than Usain Bolt can run the 100m sprint.

It's all common sense in the end, but I can't help but feel they've loosened their grip with Gateway as community offerings started to either glide past what Gateway developed, or flat out replaced it (i.e Community A9LH is far superior, as are the CFWs available, and the emunand system is no longer mandatory. Ticket installs are better than backups as you can update them from the eShop if you want to, unlike backups which are hit and miss).

It'll be interesting to see what they bring to the table next, but I would hardly call anything they'll release soon "Revolutionary" unless it's a form of SigHax, but I doubt that seeing as how they still haven't implemented Firm 0/1 protection patches (which are freely available), that'd be a pipedream and a half).

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's funny is how people mock Gateway when they're the ones who gave you everything you have today. I fully agree that Gateway is basically useless right now (save for their vastly superior cheat system), but the fact remains that Gateway:

1.) Gave us the first proper method to load back ups.
2.) Gave us the first way to access 9.2+ games, ESPECIALLY games like FE:If.
3.) Gave us the cheat menu.

There is no doubt that what Gateway did for the 3DS scene has absolutely been helpful, and many of things we're capable of with CFWs probably wouldn't be possible without the work that the Gateway team put in.

However, at a certain point, you have to be able to recognize that what you're using has long been obsolete and in fact more risky to stick with. If that's a realization that one can only make after being sufficiently mocked, let the ends justify the means. No one wants a bricked system, and if people are stubborn about what they're using and resisting the change, then perhaps they sometimes need a push like that. I'm not saying its cool, but at the end of the day we're all just looking out for each other's 3DSs, it bums me the hell out anytime I see a post about someone accidentally bricking their 3DS, especially when you know it could have been prevented.

Last edited by duffmmann,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying we have to kiss Gateway's ass, but it revolutionize the 3DS scene paving the way for CFW's to appear. A Gateway thread can not be civil as the CFW crusaders circle jerk each other until their brains can not produce dopamine anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the...