Hacking Gateway news update on 11.3 support status

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lol, it was my one and only first that I bonded with from day 1:cry:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You are forgetting one thing though, the brick code (BSOD) was randomly triggered in their version 2.02b when using the diagnostics test on Legitmate GW cards.

They fixed the bricked 3DS when this problem happened. At least, people who complained about it on maxconsoles board got a 3DS remplacement from them.

This is not an acceptable way to 'protect' your product, and Nintendo would rightly be roasted over the coals if they pulled a similar stunt. What if Nintendo put brick code into a new firmware update which targetted any console with an arm9loaderhax.bin file on their SD card, for example? Would that be acceptable?

I would find that acceptable, even from Nintendo. I wouldn't complain about such a thing if it was happening to me, as if I use some non-authorized code, it's a risk I take.

Last edited by davhuit,
Reactions: TheShadowRunner

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
False, not everyone received a replacement. Read my previous post.

I just know the few who asked on maxconsoles (official board) got one, someone even posted a pic of the replacement, I don't know for other peoples outside of this board, though.

Last edited by davhuit,

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not relevant to argue wether or not they are a bunch of jerks (they are), the point is: people who provide free and documented (sometimes even open-source) exploits and softmods should NOT be compared to them. It is not the same kind of people, motivation or morality.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even as somebody who owns a Gateway, I don't buy this. Gateway put code in which specifically targetted clones and intentionally bricked consoles using those clones knowing full well that clone compabies would miss the malicious code. It's not a case of the consoles being bricked due to the clone's poor compatibility, Gateway intentionally bricked consoles by planting brick code.

This is not an acceptable way to 'protect' your product, and Nintendo would rightly be roasted over the coals if they pulled a similar stunt. What if Nintendo put brick code into a new firmware update which targetted any console with an arm9loaderhax.bin file on their SD card, for example? Would that be acceptable?
You're not wrong, but with that logic we can say that Nintendo's new update was an attempt at "brick code". Specifically, it targets the NATIVE_FIRM downgraders, and also affected some CFWs (like rx, GW, and co.). If anything is downgraded, or outdated, your NATIVE_FIRM in this example, your 3DS will no longer boot to the home menu. Sorta like how in 2.0b2 Gateway would detect if anything was changed in the Launcher.dat and prevent your console from ever turning on again ;)

But hey, you can't exactly call Nintendo money grubbing brick manufacturers. They're just trying to protect their profits.

Reactions: RyDog

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Bricked only on clone consoles
Gateway Team dug their own hole through bad attitude and have only themselves to blame for offsetting their technical achievements with horrendous attitude. In an attempt to prevent more clone carts on the market, they once implemented code that would DELIBERATELY nuke the NAND chip of consoles determined to run such hardware. That is horrible practice to begin with, but to continue: their code began to misfire and brick legit users, with as high as a 20% chance if one visited the diagnostics tool. They then cowardly denied that they were doing so and eventually released an update that disabled - not removed - the code. Further attitudes such as keeping homebrew locked out and then immediately releasing an update claiming a "breakthrough" after Govanify leaked homebrew functionality to the masses and untruthful claims for as to why their CFW won't boot if the red card isn't in slot make them radiate insincerity, opportunism, partial lack of responsibility - especially where it would hurt their image - and greed where they kept things out until the community actually did them. Furthermore their Time Machine leaving dupe tickets and other shoddy coding inspire lack of professionalism.

Yes they were first. And they revolutionized. And then <a bunch of other bad things>. I'd say the sum-up is in the negative.

Was it unavoidable? Did they have to, as a flashcart company and as a seller. NO. Example of community-friendly development: Acekard firmware.

Last edited by Searinox,

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
False, not everyone received a replacement. Read my previous post.
You were the only case that this happened

Gateway Team dug their own hole through bad attitude and have only themselves to blame for offsetting their technical achievements with horrendous attitude. In an attempt to prevent more clone carts on the market, they once implemented code that would DELIBERATELY nuke the NAND chip of consoles determined to run such hardware. That is horrible practice to begin with, but to continue: their code began to misfire and brick legit users, with as high as a 20% chance if one visited the diagnostics tool. They then cowardly denied that they were doing so and eventually released an update that disabled - not removed - the code. Further attitudes such as keeping homebrew locked out and then immediately releasing an update claiming a "breakthrough" after Govanify leaked homebrew functionality to the masses and untruthful claims for as to why their CFW won't boot if the red card isn't in slot make them radiate insincerity, opportunism, partial lack of responsibility - especially where it would hurt their image - and greed where they kept things out until the community actually did them. Furthermore their Time Machine leaving dupe tickets and other shoddy coding inspire lack of professionalism.

Yes they were first. And they revolutionized. And then <a bunch of other bad things>. I'd say the sum-up is in the negative.

Was it unavoidable? Did they have to, as a flashcart company and as a seller. NO. Example of community-friendly development: Acekard firmware.

The diagnostics was a bug that triggered the brick, and there were very little cases of people that happened, ive been in the scene since it started, ive seen all the cases even with the dude that his console that got lost, the thing was that you could blame gateway for putting bricking code in their launcher, but you do not blame the cloners that trigger it, only 2 cases were that people that used gateway were registered for bricks without the diagnostics bug, and one them tampered the launcher for region free in classic mode, thats what the cloners did, they tampered the launcher to work with their clones.

Their first time machine was the first downgrader that we got that worked and did the job, enlighten me another that was better at that moment?

They are a business, do you expect for them to deliver their code so cloners can profit from it?

You are going to say that they stole the code, well before them where is that magic code that would let you play backups that was open source and free?

Even the devs that gave you cfw, at first most were douches that wanted to create an closed source environment until gionavify leaked the first cfw that was really really bad, and then someone modified roxas to work without signature patches, I do have a GW, and their cheating engine is far better than the open sources have, the thing with GW is that they are not a big team, the community is huge and now they become less ethic oriented, so advances are huge and everything is good, and they do not do exactly what the community do, for example the firm protection, so that is why they tell their users to keep emunand, is that a sin to lose 2 gb of space in the micro sd, for me it isnt.

They are slow, yes they are, but in the end they have given support for 4 years to a product that right now does not gives them money anymore, if they develop something like that for the switch I am in, because even though we have brilliant devs, they hate piracy, GW make profit from it, right now they do not make more money I guess so why do they keep giving support? GW is not the best option as of now, but until Luma does what GW does with the cheats and .3ds files, I will keep using both, even though I use more GW than luma because of that

Last edited by kamesenin888,
Reactions: TheShadowRunner

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They fixed the bricked 3DS when this problem happened. At least, people who complained about it on maxconsoles board got a 3DS remplacement from them.

I would find that acceptable, even from Nintendo. I wouldn't complain about such a thing if it was happening to me, as if I use some non-authorized code, it's a risk I take.

Since we did some ''Unauthorized modifications'' to our console, they have every right to.

LONG LIVE SKY3DS!!!

upfromtheskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What else is there to be done that would "revolutionize" the 3DS scene? Maybe region changing and being able to access any region eshop without doing a bunch of shenanigans first? Virtual Console DS games?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is not an acceptable way to 'protect' your product, and Nintendo would rightly be roasted over the coals if they pulled a similar stunt

Nonsense, Nintendo would get away with it, people would even go as far as defending it.

It's already happened with the Wii. Nintendo intentionally bricked region changed Korean Wiis. There was no outrage and if it's brought up in threads like this, the list of excuses for why it was ok when Nintendo done it gets rolled out.

Shikkichu

A little Pika girl~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nonsense, Nintendo would get away with it, people would even go as far as defending it.

It's already happened with the Wii. Nintendo intentionally bricked region changed Korean Wiis. There was no outrage and if it's brought up in threads like this, the list of excuses for why it was ok when Nintendo done it gets rolled out.
Fanboys will try to protect anything their beloved company does, even if it is being extremely shady and garbage to everyone, including them.
It's like them being stuck in an electronic abusive relationship lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...