GBAtemp Exclusive Gaming Perfection...? Breath of The Wild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Mar 15, 2017.

1. FierceDeityLinkMask

FierceDeityLinkMask Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    You must not be far in the game at all. Some mid tier and even a bit of low tier shields even tell you, when you get them that they can reflect guardian beams.

Saiyan Lusitano and omegasoul6 like this.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    OOT>BOTW
    Jk I definitely want to try out this game for sure. Not really interested in getting a Switch just for one game but I don't want the copy for the wii u as the best experience to play it on is obviously the switch.

Last edited by BlackWizzard17, Mar 15, 2017
    FierceDeityLinkMask likes this.
  3. FierceDeityLinkMask

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Bold.

s157 and BlackWizzard17 like this.
  4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Too bold, had to edit my statement

5. skawo

skawo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    I'd agree that OoT was probably a more impressive game when it came out than BotW is now.

s157 and FierceDeityLinkMask like this.
  6. FierceDeityLinkMask

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    xD It's like saying that Zelda II was better than Zelda I, in the early 2000s. People will maul you. You'd be the one to get ddos instead of a certain someone, LUL.

7. FierceDeityLinkMask

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    I have to agree. It did innovate more.

8. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Is it weird that an article made me cry?

Really damn well articulated @chavosaur

9. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    TO me, the whole 100/100, 10/10 and 20/20, seems "fair" only in the way to say "Devs? looks at this, THIS is how you do a game, you don't care if you delay it for 2 years, you take your time,
    you push your console to it's limit, making it doing thing you would'nt have imagined it would do, i accept the "perfect" only in that way... but yeah, in all honesty, i spent 70hours before defeating ganon,
    CHRIST I SPENT 70 HOURS IN A WEEK ! Never a game made me do that !
    Even GTA V "only" made me spend 25-35 hours, but 70 ? This is a whole new level... The game is the most close to perfection we ever seen in a decade, it need it's recognition, and i accept that with the iconic score of 10/10,
    but it's not perfect, it got flaws, but in times where every one scream "who cares about 60fps or drops on console" it feel a bit hypocrit to read that it's "horrible" when it drops to 20...
    because yeah, it drop from 30 to 20, but its constant because of ther aspects... so it doesnt go from 30-20 constantly, sad but yeah...

10. Bonestorm

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    Easily best game since OOT hopefully they never go back to the old stale format

11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I don't think it's a perfect game, mainly because of the weapon durability. Maybe if they increased durability across the board by a factor of 10. That alone is enough to drop a couple points for me. But so far I've really enjoyed the game. The moments when things click and you breeze through a puzzle, and the moments when you charged head on into difficult situations (like trying to carry a blue flame to a tower when it won't stop raining!) only to leave it and come back much later to discover it wasn't all that difficult to begin with (just had to follow the lanterns).

That said, I've yet to attempt the final boss. I'm still exploring and tracking down those last shrines and working out the last quests and puzzles. Not the Korok puzzles mind you... I'll be damned if I can find all 900 of them! But I'm just playing it at my own pace, doing what I feel like in this game, just as they intended.... with complete freedom. That's what I love most about the game, that I'm free to do anything at any time, at my own pace! Well, aside from that Blood moon quest...

If it was a perfect Zelda game, there would be no need for more Zelda games... BotW would be the final game. Because it's not a perfect game, there's room for improvement and it lets me look forward to the next Zelda game.

12. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Apparently finding all Korok seeds rewards you with shit. Literally.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-has-a-crappy-reward-for-f/1100-6448741/

13. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    The weapon and shield quickly breaking mechanics are something that I've grown to like. I can no longer hoard items, as is almost a requirement in other games. No, instead I have to manage my inventory and think about my weapon usage strategically. What's the fun in getting the best weapon in the game and reducing the difficulty to zero? I like my stuff breaks and breaks quickly. I like that for each battle, I pretty much have to pick up one of their weapons or two to continue. It's fun, it's dynamic, it gives every battle meaning and consequence. It is a positive, not a negative.

Last edited by osaka35, Mar 15, 2017
    TobiasAmaranth likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Dubbing is easily the biggest pro of the game as it's a big stick that's poking the beehive of diehard fans who for years claimed that Zelda just wouldn't be the same if it was voiced and the lack of a voice-over is a deliberate artistic choice and not a sign of detachment from the reality of the industry and laziness. Before that the last time Nintendo poked the hive like that was when they've moved on from sprites to full 3D in X/Y, going against the diehard opinion of fans that mainstream Pokemon games are meant to be 2D to preserve the anime-ish art style. Cheers, @soulx, do you still lurk the Temp? I remember, see? I never forget.

15. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Breath of the Wild is just proof that a perfect game can exist. And that Nintendo CAN make that game.

16. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Is a 95/100 but no way is a 7/10, that is just clic bait.

17. skawo

skawo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    Are you serious? The VA is awful.

18. FierceDeityLinkMask

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    The game was good easily a 10/10 from me but the VA, now that I would give a 7/10. Although, I actually liked Zelda's British little voice. Maybe because I love Harry Potter so much.

19. Roamin64

Roamin64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2007
    Canada
    I don't mind the weapon breaking mechanic, but they should still last longer than they do. The enemies are too repetitive , I would of liked another dozen different mobs instead of different flavor of the same mob over and over. Not sure why people think puzzles are hard , not a single puzzle startled me logically. Now hitting the stupid ball in the right angle and force to me is not a puzzle , but just annoying. I've not spent more than 10 minutes so far understanding how to clear a puzzle (cleared 65 shrines so far). Dungeons are somewhat too easy. But all this aside , I love the game. I can't put it down. I am doing as much as I can before heading to Ganon because I rarely re-play any games. Obviously this game won't have any replay value to me once Ganon is defeated. So i'm exploring everywhere first. Bosses are too easy, and its all too obvious what runes you need to use to defeat any boss. By the time I reached my second divine beast (Rudania) I already had the master sword , and the boss lasted a whole 4 minutes. I'll keep taking my time because I'm having so much fun. I never understood why ocarina of time scored so high. I still own that cartridge in gold from pre-ordering , to me , Zelda 1,2 and 3 were the absolute top. BotW is up there with them. So glad you don't start with a green tunic ..

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    So after a lot of consideration I have come to the conclusion that this Link is strong as an ox (why he can break a presumably well forged sword with a few blows and considers multiple dynos an acceptable method of climbing) but skimped on the cardio. This hits a little too close to home for the angry contingent.

In what ways? I saw some of the dev videos and they seemed to make a big deal about leaving behind auto jump and some other things like that. Having played more 3d "action adventure" games than I care to count over the last few decades it barely occurred to me that it was a thing, and the very first thing I did in the game (I have video footage and everything) was jump and spin around to test the controls.
    Going by things elsewhere proper dungeons, some of the series staple weapons and items (even if they have to be reimagined to make more sense) and enemies (same proviso as before) and then the other various criticisms on top. That the devs singled the first things mentioned out though leads me to wonder at things.
    I will have to go find the videos, one I think was a thing comparing pre release to current.