GBAtemp Exclusive Gaming Perfection...? Breath of The Wild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Mar 15, 2017.

1. FranckKnight

Member FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    A game can never be perfect.

But it can perfectly do what it should, entertain you, surprise you, make you react.

Zelda is doing that for me. Objectively I could probably find lots of faults, like the weapon durability is a bit weak, they definitely don't last long enough to my taste, but does that make the game unplayable? Not at all, you learn to work with it. This is a designed difficulty.

This is different than having a game's difficulty artificially or accidentally inflated because of bad controls, coding bugs or stuff like near invisible ledges you that you need to somehow figure out. Sure, technically it's still a design problem, but Zelda doesn't make it feel like it was an accident or that QA didn't do their work.

And that's perfect enough for me.

2. CoolAlpha

Member CoolAlpha GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    For me to turn on 5 terminals only and defeat a boss cannot be considered as a dungeon

3. guedesbrawl

Member guedesbrawl GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    No...

I just listed a bunch of the game's issues. I can see it's an amazing game, but with those flaws people still give it a 10/10? it's just ridiculous.

4. gamesquest1

Member gamesquest1 Nabnut

United Kingdom
    Yeah I think they could have at least added some classic Zelda style dungeon, even if they made them optional to appease the people who just want a walk though the park experience

Idk I miss the traditional Zelda format, I would imagine they could have easily added some end game tradition dungeon style dungeons, maybe we will get that in the dlc, for me that was the only big issue for me with botw is that they have scrapped what was imho one of my favourite parts which was the new items per dungeon keeping things fresh and challenging dungeons

5. Fotonick

Member Fotonick GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Honestly, what's difficult in botw?
    Respect to the classic dungeon of past Zeldas I see no difficulty, even the 4 colossuses are embarassing by how much easy and boring they are. :/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Expecially when all 4 are practically the same. :/

CoolAlpha likes this.
  6. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I had a very long discussion with a friend a few years ago about that. The biggest problem with scores imho is that there are things that cannot be rated because it would not make sense to rate it, but in the same time, those things can be really important parts of the experience. In a perfect world, every game should be rated with it's own set of criterias. But I think that with the democratization of indie games, we're starting to get a grasp of how to make those tests more reliable, or at least interesting.

7. Retroboy

Member Retroboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    dont know how you can call it gaming perfection when loads of people are having lagging issues.

also how can you call it freedom to roam when all games regardless if its open world, playing the game you are on a fixed track from A to B.... just you have the option to run around aimlessly doing nothing but killing random bots.

all nintendo have done is seen of recent how popular open world games have been and thought, lets make zelda like this.

8. skawo

Member skawo GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    This is the strangest argument I think I've heard to date.

9. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    if it was a perfect game, i wouldn't have any complaints about it

that's not quite the case here, but it is pretty good.

VinsCool likes this.
  10. chavosaur
    OP

Contributor chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    It's as if the entire article is questioning perfection itself. With that big ol question mark... right there... in the title...

Ritsuki likes this.
  11. tbb043

Member tbb043 Member

United States
    10/10 doesn't mean it's flawless, since there's no such thing as a flawless game. It just means best of the best, a must have.

BOTW is not close to flawless, but it's certainly much closer to 10/10 than 7/10 to anyone but some hack troll looking to piss people off (and then crying when mission accomplished).

12. Saiyan Lusitano

Member Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Addict

Portugal
    10/10 is a perfect score which also means flawless. It's neither.

13. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    People still salty about 7/10. Let it go :rofl2:.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  14. Steena

Member Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Metacritic is a joke and giving numbered scores is a joke. What's the point of measuring when the scale is completely arbitrary in the first place? Not only among different websites, but the same exact reviewer does not follow some sort of education, paper or standards to giving a score. There aren't even arbitrary pretend-standards among the crazy people. There is absolutely nothing objective in a review. Some people can appreciate little touches or having the best of X in flawed games (monster hunter) much more than they do bland/predictable but consistent and well executed overall mediocre games (uncharted/ac) and vice versa. On top of that, your experience with the genre of whatever you're reviewing will greatly influence your opinion on it. Is everyone expected to play every entry in a given genre? Or none of them? How many hours? Who decides this? What's the objective consensus here?

Besides, reviewers are mostly casual players with no experience requirement. No thesis on game design has ever been asked to anyone to become a game reviewer. Hell, most reviewers don't even know what game design is, nor the basics of game programming, which is incredibly helpful to establish how much effort went into a unique mechanic versus just padding something with higher numbers for example. So doing any sort of measuring is irrelevant at the basis of this alone.

Yet the children go crazy over these completely arbitrary numbers like they are objective, down to the decimals as if there were scientists carefully establishing whether a game deserved 97 or 98 through thousands of test runs in the lab.

And then you have the inevitable click-baiters who know how dumb the system is and want to exploit it for some easy visibility.

It's like a vicious circle of idiocy that feeds on itself and some sort of drama happens on every big release without fail. It's a giant retarded beast that got too big to kill now, and has too many issues at once to try and fix.

15. ErrorVL

Newcomer ErrorVL Newbie

United States
    Its overrated. Its time for Nintendo to step it up.

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    if it didn't have that yiga clan sneaking bs it would have been perfect i HATE that SHIT. and that fucking shrine quest where
    SPOILS!
    :hateit:

so i have it about 8/10

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 17, 2017
  17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Was this click bait? I agree it is not the guy's first tangle with "low" scores ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/jim-sterling-gives-mario-kart-7-a-5-10.314755/ ) but it seems internally consistent.

Also while I don't disagree with much of what was said how many book reviewers have language or literature training, or film/tv reviewers have film making training, or play reviewers... I agree it is probably a higher proportion but it at no point strikes me as a prerequisite. Going further might this lack of such things result in a potentially more useful review to someone that is not steeped in game design and so forth, aka avoiding the film snob problem?
    What does effort that went into something have to do with the final execution? Many a wonderfully complex or even basic and serviceable mechanic has been hose up by a tweak in base stats or something, and assuming we are not going to hack the game as part of a review it could stand to be noted.

That said I will take either of those games you mentioned over monster hunter -- I have still yet to find out why I dislike monster hunter (on paper is much I want from a game) but the whole is so much lesser than the sum of its parts, despite serious efforts to enjoy it.

18. xdarkx

Member xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I am more curious as what those people who think this game is perfect would give to a another game that is similar to this Zelda game.

Let's assume the other game has all the same gameplay and whatnot. The only differences are the title, character models, and any UI in the game. Would people still give the game a perfect 10/10 or would they still overreact when someone give it a "bad" score like 7/10?

19. Retroboy

Member Retroboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think these ratings are biased, how many times do you see nintendo get 10/10 on a zelda game, take wind waker, tho its visual layout was good, but the actual game i found very annoying having to do all that sailing.

I think people at IGN and what ever are from zelda fans and will give it 10/10 because to them, its the best zelda they have played and they love zelda.

Ive played alot of games that get good ratings but never a 10/10 when the game has been far better.

and this is why i never take reviews or ratings to influence me buying a game, mainly because these are done by fans of that console and/or game.

take for an example The Last of Us 2, tho it will be an epic game, i bet it will get excellent reveiws and rating but what has helped this title get its instant fame is that its from Naughty Dog.

dont get me wrong THOU is an excellent game, but i did find some parts of the first one rather dull, but because its a ND game people were able to ignore this and love the game.

20. iQue

Member iQue GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It's an okay game, far from a perfect score ...it's is however a very repetitive game ...you are just doing the same things over ...and over.
    Yeah sure the map is huge, but most of the time there's nothing around??
    If feels like Zelda skins have just been added like Hyrule Warriors, well just because the Zelda brand sells more ...for me it's not real Zelda game.