GBAtemp Exclusive Gaming Perfection...? Breath of The Wild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Retroboy

Member Retroboy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    this is what i say, nintendo titles are very repetetive its the same thing all the time.

mario - princess is kidnapped you enter levels collect stars and repeat levels doing the same kinda thing and fight bowser and save peach.
    zelda - similar concept enter dungeon fight boss defeat gannon (or who ever) save zelda

i cant think when nintendo have actually come up with a new game, and this is my problem with nintendo consoles, because it lacks the great new titles thrid parties release on XBX/PS and release basic games aimed for kids and may get a small handfull of good games, but the rest is the same old nintendo titles.

2. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I don't understand the whole "perfect score means perfection". Quality of the game is limited by technology, ideology and by extension time imho. For example, if you write an essay and you get an A+, does it means your essay is perfect? Not really, it just means that your essay matches the criterias your professor used to grade it. Those criterias will change depending of the professor, the subject, the school, and even maybe the country and the time in which it was written. Grades and scores represent general quality within chosen criterias, not perfection. Another example, if a game got a 19/20 on NES (test written at the release of the game) and the game company decide to do a remake of the game (better graphics, optimized, but same story, background, content and mechanics), if the score is a reflection of perfection, it should get an higher grade, right? But most of the time the game gets killed for reasons like "lack of novelty". But if you didn't play the original one, this is all new for you and the game cannot be worse than the original since it's like a 2.0 version of the same game. And that's, imho, because the scores are more than a simple reflection of perfection.

DS1 likes this.
  3. SirBeethoven

Member SirBeethoven Super Bowl got "Switched" up! ;)

United States
    I absolutely love it! I'd travel trough the world and back to show all of you the game!

4. Steena

Member Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    That in itself can be impossible to establish. It's just obvious that the system is made out of pure, unfiltered, unregulated, chaotic, 100% dumb shit, and so it will inevitably be exploited.

You can have dogs review a game for all I care. Having the most different spectrum of people to review a game is the most useful, so you can pick someone who most closely resembles yours/can hear a different perspective from yours. My point is in relation of children coordinating assault strikes over a 7/10 instead of a 8/10, or an 85 over a 90, as if that had any sort of objectivity/consistency whatsoever, precisely because of the many reasons I listed. The existence of a numerical score and the importance it is given are both the issue.

Pick any single game of your choice. Swap an unique mechanic with a numerical progression spreadsheet. Is the game better or worse? You will find that in most (not all) cases mechanics are funnier than numbers, partly because if you liked numbers you may as well just go gambling, whereas mechanics can interact with other mechanics and are the true strength and uniqueness of a videogame. But regardless, the point is that you can better appreciate, and make a use of, elements of the game if you recognize one is a number and another is a dynamic mechanic and what else it can affect.

In BotW, it can be the difference between a player using the glider exclusively to get down a tower and another who will exploit it to do stealth aerial attacks as well. One thinks one mechanic is rigid and serves one purpose, the other understood the extent of how fluid a mechanic is and can combine it with others to do new things. Apply this logic to everything and you'll find that each experience can be vastly different. I've seen players play dark souls with the starting weapon, standard attack only, no rolling, no running, no blocking, no parrying, no locking on... and so on. That was not preference. That in itself will affect how fun you find a game. And that is going to be completely different on each individual's discovery and interpretation of a game mechanic, or lack thereof.

I'm happy for you. As for me, I find the complex hitboxes combined with the non-assisted aiming to be unique and therefore valuable. An action game that is in contrast with a spectacle fighter, that focuses on overpowering an enemy with technical finesse of keeping up a combo. The finesse in this game is to calculate attacks and distances versus an enemy much stronger than you so you have more efficient uptime. In fighting games terms, that would be combos versus footsies. The core difference is that in one sub-genre you take control of the pace whereas in MH the boss always has the upper hand - you just maneuver around it more effectively to the point where it seems they land into your attacks willingly to an observer. Two completely different skillsets of the genre. When I play an uncharted's action sequence, my brain goes: "it's max payne but slower, easier and with a controller, while it does not do a single new thing to counterbalance the mediocrity" instead. When I see good story and insipid gameplay, my brain goes "this could have better been a movie". It's all personal preference forged by personal experience and taste. I'd rate a heavily flawed game with one amazing mechanic higher than any uncharted or any consistently derivative game, for example. You'd probably do the opposite. That's why attaching an objective scale to a review is dumb. Even if we both rated a different game 7/10, our score could have been given for entirely different reasons that could be completely out of sync with a third party.

Last edited by Steena, Mar 17, 2017
  5. Snitzle

Newcomer Snitzle Newbie

United Kingdom
    My only issues at the moment is the price in the UK. £50, sometimes less, is still steep for the WiiU version. This means my verdict will be whenever I can justify spending that much on a game I'm not sure I'll like.

It sure is interesting seeing all the contrasting opinions though.

6. MrJason005

Member MrJason005 √2

Greece
    We saw the state of game's journalism back in 2014, yeah we know it's shit and cynical and in the end it is just someone's opinion.

7. Joom

Member Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    So I'd like to weigh in on this. I don't particularly care about reviews on games especially when I find them fun, which is the most important thing to me, but I'd figure I'd write my own (this is actually my first one ever). A game has to be fun to play regardless of the score, how pretty it is to look at, or niche mechanics. Let me just start off by saying that this game is fucking fun, and is honestly a breath of fresh air from Nintendo seeing as just about every title released since the Wii's conception has been entirely too pandering to a supposed dim witted crowd that needs to be spoonfed. As a fan of Nintendo I feel like I've been shat on ever since the Gamecube's lifespan ended. Then, there's this; a glimmer of light in a sea of handholding shit. This game is actually a challenge, and I've not been bored with it the entire time I've played it. Everything from shrines to farming for materials to upgrade armor to the challenge brought on by the difficulty of enemies has kept me enthralled. The map is freakishly gigantic, which I adore as it leads to so much exploration. I know a lot of people don't particularly like this because "hurr, there's nothing to do", but negative space isn't so much a bad thing when the game itself is so scenic and seemingly much more realistic. It feels immersive in this regard because I wouldn't actually expect to run into a dungeon or an enemy every five minutes in open world games. I really can't stand that because it's honestly not realistic in an adventure type setting. A lot of the game, especially shrine puzzles, is very intuitive and hasn't made me groan in exasperation from having to do something either out of necessity or just from sheer repetition. Ball fondling aside, this isn't a perfect game. I don't think there really is such a thing to begin with. The myriad of areas that cause frame drops, and the cartoonish graphics (albeit very pretty) kinda make the game fall a little flat for me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the graphics of Wind Waker (and subsequently Minish Cap), but I feel Nintendo should have gone balls to the wall with this one. The score itself is also a tad lacking as it's much more atmospheric and lacks memorable tunes. I dare any of you to get Clock Town's music out of your head once you listen to it. I also feel the voice acting could have been a bit better as well, but I'm just glad this game actually has it beyond grunts, moans, laughter, and battle cries. I hate number ratings, because like I said any game that's actually fun to me is a 10/10 in my book due to my own biases, but that aside I'd give this an 8.5/10. Nintendo could have put a little extra polish on it, but it's hardly lackluster and is the first game in about 5 years that I've devoted more than 30 hours to.

Why have you not hacked your Wii U yet? Pirate the game, and if you like it buy it. That's what I do since it allows me to properly evaluate the game myself without forming a biased opinion based on other people's reviews.

Last edited by Joom, Mar 19, 2017
  8. Vipera

Member Vipera GBAtemp Maniac

Antarctica
    Quoting anything from Kotaku should be forbidden. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

9. UltraDolphinRevolution

Member UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    In some sense the game has redefined open world games and the Zelda franchise. It's certainly among the best singleplayer experiences in gaming. I hope they keep the formula and add new things like raiding with other NPC or multiplayer.

10. orcid

Member orcid GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    And I am curious what those people think this game is "just good" or "bad" would give to another game that is similar to this Zelda game. Every Zelda game gets "bad" reviews because the new Zelda is different to aother Zelda that somebody really loves. Most of the time the first Zelda that the person played.

11. coolpokemon

Newcomer coolpokemon Newbie

United States
    i been told the fanboys from zero dawn are giving breath of the wild a user score of 0 on purpose

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    lol cry babies just cos their shitty MH ripopff CLONE didn't get a 10! :rofl:

13. coolpokemon

Newcomer coolpokemon Newbie

United States
    well breath of the wild had a user score of 7.5 now it got raised to 7.7 this guy sounds like a micosoft fanboy i just reported him for calling people a sell out http://www.metacritic.com/user/WorstGameI

also it seems i cant give reviews anymore idk why didnt say anything bad just said i didnt liek this one games gameplay and its story i think it was someone from zero dawn falsely reported my review and had me banned from giving reviews i can still give scores

Last edited by coolpokemon, Mar 23, 2017
  14. Snitzle

Newcomer Snitzle Newbie

United Kingdom
    I know there's a lot of information on gbaTemp but I'm still new and didn't really know it was possible. Any chance of pointing me in the right direction? I'm interested in the pro's and con's.

15. Joom

Member Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Snitzle likes this.
  16. Snitzle

Newcomer Snitzle Newbie

United Kingdom