ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Looks like it was using a different font altogether.
So everything else is working just fine? That's good news.
Was it tested on real hardware or just emulated?

Thanks for keeping us updated, it was such a pain on past
projects, with little to no updates...

Yep, everything else (that is done) is working fine as far as I can see, both on Desmume and on real hardware. I just got the 6th manual done and it all fits on the screen (each page fits on the screen). I know this is taking quite a bit of time but I really want to finish with this train of thought/work before moving on. AFAIK the RPG is still chugging along but I'm probably going to have to tackle the Adventure myself, which actually shouldn't be so bad, especially if I want to do enough of the game to cover the base 4 challenges for that game to start (and do the rest afterwards)

Fishaman> From what I understand (and forgive me if I am wrong), instead of converting back and forth between SJIS, you could have a double byte character sequence with the first half being null and the second being a half-width character code. This was because even though the game supports half-width characters in many parts of the game, the game forces double byte characters in some of those.

Reactions: Pix3l

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Update time, since keeping people in the dark is never a good idea

I'm plugging away at the magazines, and I also passed around the first 6 magazines to be checked. These things are pretty massive but fortunately there shouldn't be too much graphic work to do on these later.

Also, and this is probably more interesting, I planned out a translation path so I can get a test version ready. What I want to have done at the minimum level is:

* All the magazines since they contain information fairly important to the game even though it is possible to get by without reading them (you'd never figure out the codes or some of the secrets though)
* The adventure game up until the end of what the four challenges cover
* The RPG up to what the first four challenges cover, though in this case all the battle text and those damned annoying menus (all tiled graphics) have to be done

With a small text guide to the in-room and shop menus that should cover the basics of the whole game from beginning to end.

Optional to do immediately/soon but should be done:

* In Room and Shop menus
* Game manuals (though many of them are trivial to figure out)

Other work before the final version:

* Graphic swaps of some title screens
* The rest of the Adventure(s) text
* The rest of the RPG
* Spot graphics in the magazines and manuals
* magazine promo text on the bookshelf screen; it is all in the overlay files I believe (found it with a hex editor)
* Daily Challenge description text

...and maybe some spot text with the Game Training Tool but that should cover most if not all of it.

I do have help on the RPG but if anyone can lend a hand on the magazines or the Adventure to speed things up, it would be appreciated. You don't have to be some licensed translator or anything; just be able to make something that gets the meaning right and flows in English; we can check and revise it if we have a base.

Also, if anyone is willing to tackle the RPG menus or the in-room/shop menus I would *really* love that. I'm not positive on the details myself other than what files need to be changed and those that can do it are busy elsewhere. I can help with what the menus are supposed to say but the technical aspects are still a bit shady for me. If it comes down to it I suppose I will have to figure it out, though :/

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can edit the images, but putting them back in the game, that's something I don't know.
I guess it's not that useful. If you need me tho, send me a PM with the images :)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I just thought I'd share a quick pic on why I'm doing the magazines. This isn't exactly a spoiler since:

a) You get this magazine as you get the challenge, so it is freely viewable at this point
b) The grey areas are scratch off areas. You rub them with the styles to reveal what is underneath

Basically, you get the tips you need if you are struggling with a challenge or just where to start, and in something not completely linear like the Adventure and RPG (moreso the RPG but with the adventure you are free to roam and do whatever while trying to solve the mysteries).

Edit> The translation is still a work in progress (especially since it was done at 1:30AM) and yes, I fixed that space issue already but I snapped this last night and wanted to share it before I got tired and fell asleep...that didn't go according to plan.

magazine_why.png

Oh, extra fun to break up the monotony. Up in Wako-shi where I live I think I found out where Wiz-Man gets his hair done:

wizhair.jpg

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hello, just a quick update.

I have been plowing through the magazines and just got through 17 of them (out of 18). Only the first 6 have been pieced together well enough to fit on the screen but that part is a lot quicker than doing the initial translation. I did underestimate the length of the text but it was necessary to do. The best part is that I did receive a translation of the 18th magazine so that should help fit the last magazine into place.

After that I'll fix it up so it looks right on screen and then I'll have something else reviewable.

Then I suppose I have to tackle the Adventure. The text substitution tools work fine; I just need to do the text, which I hope isn't as long as the magazines for at least the first four challenges worth of text.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Agghh... I cant believe its happening.
Do you plan on releasing a demo/testing version of the translation?

:nds:

Yes, but probably to a closed group at first. It won't be just to play from beginning to end, however. (though that is even possible in it's current state; just use the magazines and challenge descriptions to get through each challenge). I really need people that can look at what is written and point out odd or strange wording or phrases as well as anomalies like some text string too long for the screen or I forgot a newline character or there is a misspelling or a quote is missing, etc. It might not be too bad in practice but there are so many lines of text I've worked with I'm just wondering how much of a task it will be to try and test them all.

EDIT> This would also be to test for any game-crashing bugs. I don't *think* there are any currently but I'll keep an eye out as I mess with the Adventure and RPG games.

Also, I would want a closed group because I am willing to bet the text of the game will be done and testable before those "#$%"& menus are done so in the worst case I will have to pass around a text file showing what each menu option means in the main room (not so many, but if you can't read Japanese I'm sure it is all just bug splats anyway). Some people here will want 100% perfection in graphics and text but the reality is that some parts will be ready before others and those parts should be tested. I'm tainted though in that I did the translation for some of this and I would like a fresh perspective on it rather than trying to review my own work beyond the initial passes for really stupid mistakes.

Finally, I'm warning that anyone that tests this may also risk ruining the game for themselves. It won't be as bad as my case where I have seen the game from beginning to end, inside and out now, but I'm sure there are people that would rather wait for a more complete version to experience this game.

Reactions: Mars_x

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but probably to a closed group at first. It won't be just to play from beginning to end, however. (though that is even possible in it's current state; just use the magazines and challenge descriptions to get through each challenge). I really need people that can look at what is written and point out odd or strange wording or phrases as well as anomalies like some text string too long for the screen or I forgot a newline character or there is a misspelling or a quote is missing, etc. It might not be too bad in practice but there are so many lines of text I've worked with I'm just wondering how much of a task it will be to try and test them all.

EDIT> This would also be to test for any game-crashing bugs. I don't *think* there are any currently but I'll keep an eye out as I mess with the Adventure and RPG games.

Also, I would want a closed group because I am willing to bet the text of the game will be done and testable before those "#$%"& menus are done so in the worst case I will have to pass around a text file showing what each menu option means in the main room (not so many, but if you can't read Japanese I'm sure it is all just bug splats anyway). Some people here will want 100% perfection in graphics and text but the reality is that some parts will be ready before others and those parts should be tested. I'm tainted though in that I did the translation for some of this and I would like a fresh perspective on it rather than trying to review my own work beyond the initial passes for really stupid mistakes.

Finally, I'm warning that anyone that tests this may also risk ruining the game for themselves. It won't be as bad as my case where I have seen the game from beginning to end, inside and out now, but I'm sure there are people that would rather wait for a more complete version to experience this game.
None of this concerns me at all. In fact, I'm actually excited!
Being a grammar Nazi? Finding bugs? Spoiling a game? Sign me up!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, all 18 magazines are in the game and now I have to make it all fit on the screen somehow...I'm not quite happy with some of the translations I used so I may have to cheat/substitute something else to keep the tone of the game. Actually it is better this way; some of the later magazines were done at 1 or 2am and I'm seeing some funky work so I'd better at least try to clean this up a bit before I want others looking at it.

EDIT> Okay, I have 15 of the 18 magazines now fitting properly on the screen. I'll have to finish the last 3 tomorrow. My brain is completely frazzled and it is 4AM...I have to get up for work at 5.

Edit again> Okay, that does it. They all fit nicely on the screen, I think. I'm moving on, though I found that I still need to do the magazine descriptions as they appear on the bookshelf. They are small blocks of text, so even 18 of them is no problem but it is right in a BIN file and I think I may have to hex edit this in manually...how annoying. Those GFX will have to be changed too, but that can come later

mag16d.png

I also put the Adventure game text in one massive file so I can look at it all in one place (on the train on my Kindle Fire). The text itself isn't bad but I'm going to run into major length issues. I can add new pages freely but even then I wouldn't want the player to cycle through twice the number of pages for the same basic content. There are a lot of GCCX references (subtle in many cases) but right at its core the Adventure game script and dialogue isn't all that bad. It's just going to be tedious with so many individual files to manage. In the worst case I'm sure more die-hard fans of the GCCX TV series can point out whatever should be changed to more closely reflect the TV series or characters within.

EDIT> Oh, I'm also plowing through the adventure though there is a mountain of text to do. I think I can get away with some small subsets of this for now if I only want to cover the first 4 challenges for the game.

If anyone wants to take a peek at every line of text in the Adventure games... enjoy :) (I believe it is in SJIS if you have trouble seeing it)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hello again.

The magazines are now fine as in they are done enough for review. I'm burned out from those things so I need to clear my head with another section of the game so I'm working on the Adventure game.

There are some odd cases where the new page tag doesn't work, mostly in cutscenes, but I don't think it is a problem. In any case this is going much better than I expected.

When I get a bit more of this done I can make another short video showing the magazines, the telephone and discussion dialogue and the Adventure I suppose. It won't be as grand as the first video but I am getting requests for another one. Anyways, back to the grind.

As usual I can always use a hand if you can translate. Even if you don't think you are good that's fine. I can work with whatever you have in relation to the source material. Just taking the leap and making the initial translation would help me with the last of the game manuals. (And potentially the Adventure and RPG)...those are the only major text sections left to do

And yes, if you can hack GFX in a game I would *really* appreciate it.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Well, I'm hoping to at least have something that is playable from beginning to end. (I'm getting there...I think)

Translating the Adventure is proving to be a bit odd at times. The text isn't so bad and slowly I'm getting used to what I can get away with on screen (space-wise) but I'm having a very odd ping-pong game of "See line of dialogue in game, Search large text file for string, find file it was associated with, edit that file and put it in the game, repeat" because the dialogue jumps around and pieces are taken from multiple files. For completeness sake I need to do them all anyway but it almost feels like I'm doing pieces of this out of order (technically, I am). This might cause for some "interesting" results when it is all pieced together.

As an interesting note, there is a file which I originally assumed was part of the game that turns out to never be used. It has a few plot points that are bizarre, like it starts by chasing someone dressed as you through conveyor belts into hell (I'm not joking)

Then again, there are a few interesting oddities in the whole game in general. It looks like the 2nd Adventure game was originally going to have its own set of challenges but was scrapped at the end (too much Adventure madness?) The 2nd Adventure is still in the game, of course, but it is completely optional.

Also, it looks like there are a few challenges you can't skip/forfeit.

I think the only other real game "secrets" for the in-game content is all in the magazines which I have already finished.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As an interesting note, there is a file which I originally assumed was part of the game that turns out to never be used. It has a few plot points that are bizarre, like it starts by chasing someone dressed as you through conveyor belts into hell (I'm not joking)
You should probably update the trcf.net wiki with this. Sounds amazing!

Any chance of a beta restoration project when the translation is complete? :P

Reactions: GHANMI

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should probably update the trcf.net wiki with this. Sounds amazing!

Any chance of a beta restoration project when the translation is complete? :P
I second this. If we can accurately see what this unused stuff is and how it would have been used, adding it to the wiki would be a boon for archival and research purposes.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh, hidden text...
I recall seeing an almost verbatim script lifted directly from the manga/anime (specifically, when that L actor is killed on TV) inside the Death Note DS game, even though that whole sequence isn't visible at any point in the game (which only has a resume), and while skimming through Ninokuni DS in the process of translating it (which is currently stalled unless we find translators), I found button graphics for an in-game Magic Master book, like in the PS3 version. Of course the DS game doesn't have the digital book option available normally. Also the TGS/E3 demo data is still there.

I wish I was more fluent in Japanese so that I could recognize better what the text actually means (and sort hidden text from the rest), so that I could upload it somewhere on the net. It's exciting stuff.

The text you found doesn't necessarily means the programming data for the challenges are still there. But who knows, maybe someone could re-enable it someday with cheat codes or patches (that is, someone talented with ARM).

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Nice find, Nagato!

Hrm, I have some good news and some questions that could determine the fate of humanity (kind of)

First off, I have alternate title graphics for the Adventure games (not sure which to use):
arinotitle1.png

Second, I actually have some of the in-game text working. There are spacing issues and messed up lengths all over the place but I'm going to blaze through a group of files at a time and fix them all together; it is painfully slow to try and go find, analyze and edit each line of text since they are taken from multiple files and there doesn't seem to be any logic behind what goes where (read: it's driving me insane)

adv_06.png

My big issue is putting the title in the game. It isn't as simple as copying over the mapped image, which looks like this:
messeduptitle2.png

I have to put it into the original image unmapped, which looks like this:
messeduptitle.png

Can anyone here offer any help? This affects a number of graphics.

Also, there is a name entry screen in the Adventure game since you actually play alongside Arino solving the mysteries together. Any idea what I should do with this?

entername.png

Edit> Oh yes, the magazine descriptions as they appear on the bookshelf is in a bin file and had to be edited through a hex editor. It is easy to change but I am very limited in space. Some of these may need some reworking. The graphics at the bottom for the instructions can probably be taken from the original game; I'll take a look into that. Actually, some of the magazine graphics from the old game might be usable, too.

newmag.png

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice find, Nagato!

Hrm, I have some good news and some questions that could determine the fate of humanity (kind of)

First off, I have alternate title graphics for the Adventure games (not sure which to use):
arinotitle1.png

I think the first one works just fine.
I remember seeing the title "Detective Kacho" a number of times... I like that title.

My big issue is putting the title in the game. It isn't as simple as copying over the mapped image, which looks like this:
messeduptitle2.png

I have to put it into the original image unmapped, which looks like this:
messeduptitle.png

Can anyone here offer any help? This affects a number of graphics.

Ok, maybe you already have this information:
Each tile is 64 px. per 8 px. In a full screen there are 96 tiles.

I uploaded a PSD with each tile in a separate layer if its of any help.
The algorithm must be custom and I don't know how to decipher it.

Attachments

• messeduptitle.zip
    107.3 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: Pix3l

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    +1
    well, sonic fans are a whole separate thing from furries
    like bronys
    sonic porn is too weird even for me
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    bruh
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    guys how do i delete a post
    you don't
    you can report it and request deletion
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ea play raised priced to $6 a month lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Same with uremum, she's now $2 a month
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also seizures come and and go they don't have an off switch like that it all depends
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    alright guys, who would win, sonic or goku?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Knuckles
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    knuckles vs broly could also be a good one tbh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Bakerman vs. Wario
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Announcer - "Ok folks we have a good fight today, Bakerman takes on Wario. This should be a good fight. Wait...why is bakerman undressing?"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Oh sorry, this is Wario? I thought it was your wife
    +1
  • E @ eenterx:
    hello guys how do i type on forums?
  • E @ eenterx:
    i am the new user
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I am the Eggman... I am the Walrus...
  • E @ eenterx:
    oh ok
    E @ eenterx: oh ok