ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
...and I'd just like to say I confirmed it is working again on a real DS unit.

Back to the translation grindstone...

workingarino1.jpg
workingarino2.jpg

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Nah, it wasn't an AP problem. One of the graphics that were copied from the original GCCX was incompatible with GCCX2 so it would crash. It's fixed now, though. :)
Ah. That makes loads of sense.

...Probably explains why I never got my Daigasso ROM hack working, but that's irrelevant.

Good luck Aaron! I guess that's all I can do.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, small update but I now have all of the conversation with you and young Arino as well as the floating head Arino text done and in the game, playable to the end I believe.

I hope to put in the telephone and "chat" option text as well as the game shop text soon, since much of it is already done.

EDIT> All of the 2-player conversations, the shop conversations, the "chat" optional discussions you can have with young Arino, the power-on conversations and the save dialog in the main game have been inserted into the game and are playable.

EDIT Again> Okay, the Telephone files are almost done but there are a few large files that were never translated so I have to do that myself. I think I'll have it all done and in the game tomorrow and then get on those manuals/magazines.

EDIT 2:30AM Monday JST> I have everything done with the Telephone files except for a large 57 line dialogue file. My brane dunt work anymore at this hour so I'll have to get at it tomorrow and that should be finished. I also looked at the Adventure game and it doesn't look as bad as I thought initially. It still will take some banging away to get to at least the end of the 4 challenges for the game.

I'm having a weird bug where the text in the info boxes when you get a new magazine, etc. is twice as wide as everything else, but other than that it seems to work.

When that is out of the way I'm going to step in and assist in finishing the magazines and possibly the Adventure.

I put the translated text in as quickly as possible and some of the work was done by a few people so I can see some inconsistencies already. There probably will be more in the beta version I want to pass around to the testers.

- Aaron

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
*Update*

This is a big one, though I mentioned parts of it in the last post.

Okay, all of the telephone conversation plus whatever I had to patch in is now in the game and playable. This marks the end of the original translation and everything from it should be in the game and playable to the end. This is like when the first bridge is fixed in FF1 and you cross it (or something). Everything from hereon in is uncharted territory. Note that the original text still isn't "finished" quite yet; text is too long in some spots and gets cut off, some lines don't quite work and will need a rewrite, etc. but at least you can see it all in action in the game.

phone1.png
phone2.png
phone3.png

I started to take a look at the Adventure game, too. I'm not used to the screen dimensions and the space/spacing I have to work with but I gave it a quick go. Here, have a look.

kmstory1.png
kmstory3.png
kmstory5.png
kmstory7.png
kmstory8.png

And to mark the wading into new depths and the next milestone reached (getting everything from the original translation team in the game and working) I decided to upload a few bonus pics

1. I actually have a jacket from when I worked at Hitachi that is like the work jacket Arino wears in the show
2. Contrary to belief, I actually do own Arino no Chosenjo 2 for the NDS
3. ...with the Arino business cards
4. This looks doesn't work on me...maybe when I have a white shirt and am not so tires/in pajamas

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone have connections to Chinese pirates?
It would be awesome to get the translation onto normal carts!

Oh my... not the most politically correct thing to say in this forum at all :(
That goes beyond your regular flashcart question fare.
It's frowned upon, and for good reason, among fan-translators for people that get their patches printed on normal reproduction cards (not flashcards) because of the potential inevitable commercial exploitation on eBay, and we don't need another MIA project if we can help it, don't we?
Please keep this stuff off this thread. I beg of you.

(That aside, you won't get your answer this way, and it would be easier (and better) if you learned how to do it yourself for your personal use without involving pirates and piracy)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Oh my... not the most politically correct thing to say in this forum at all :(
That goes beyond your regular flashcart question fare.
It's frowned upon, and for good reason, among fan-translators for people that get their patches printed on normal reproduction cards (not flashcards) because of the potential inevitable commercial exploitation on eBay, and we don't need another MIA project if we can help it, don't we?
Please keep this stuff off this thread. I beg of you.

(That aside, you won't get your answer this way, and it would be easier (and better) if you learned how to do it yourself for your personal use without involving pirates and piracy)
I was being 75% sarcastic.
That being said, of course it would be up to Aaron if he even wanted the translation released outside of a patch. Since he's living in Japan, I'm guessing anything besides a patch would be too risky.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, I have no great plans other than a translation patch anyway.

Hmm, updates... I'm making progress as usual. I've been touching up the in game magazines and have been enjoying that though I'm sometimes finding it hard to fit all the text or main content in there.

I think if I want a user-friendly-enough for a testable version I'm going to want to do the RPG and Adventure games at least up to the end of where the 4 challenges finish per game. The manuals are sort-of-kind-of nice but the magazines are more important since it gives great help for some of the challenges as well as other game related help which you can take full advantage of in the challenges anyway.

I guess that is it for the moment. For those interested I'm taking the magazines, translating them regardless of length and then I play with them later to get what I need on the screen. It sounds like a roundabout way to do it but for me it is the fastest.

Arique

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you guys are still looking for testers, I'm willing to give the game a try on my R4iGold. I'm a huge fan of GCCX, and I've been waiting forever for this game to get a translation.

Looking forward to the final product when it's completed!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep you in mind.

Finding testers is not an issue since that will be easy to do with something as coveted as this appears to be.

The game right now as it is if I distributed at this very second is a very mish mash collection of work. The in game dialogue between the player and Arino in all forms is done and can be tested. However, there are graphics that, even though much of it is done it has yet to be hacked into the game. The Adventure game only has the intro and command menus done (sort of, the design is a mess at the moment) That text shouldn't be so bad to do up to the end of the base 4 challenges for that game. Speaking of which, the base challenge text is all in the game. I thought the Daily Challenges were as well but if not that isn't so bad since a fair but of the content can be copy/pasted to glory.

The magazines and manuals are the big thing I'm still working on. I underestimated the volume of text in these, particularly the magazines. I have enough time in my schedule to do maybe 1 or 2 per day. I am currently on the 7th magazine of 18 and maybe 1/3 of the manuals are done but I don't want to touch that until after the magazines at least, and probably the adventure game. I want to get the menus done but that might have to come later; those things are a nightmare to deal with.

(I keep mentioning the magazines but they really are key to the game at points. It give you information and secrets on the mini-games you most likely wouldn't figure out on your own as well as gives information on additional challenges and content to the existing games)

The adventure game is being worked on but no text is in the game yet and the real hard part will be the menus which are all graphics made up of various tiles and mappings.

So yeah, that's what I've been up to. Well, that and my updated DDR book was published but that is another story

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Some updates for you since I don't like to keep you all hanging.

I was having a slight problem in that the Info windows showing when a new game is available, a new magazine, something happening at JoycoLand, etc. used to have text that was too wide (but fine everywhere else) but Nagato tried something ingenious and managed to get it all sorted out without mucking up the previously converted text (I'm wondering if it could also help with other projects...)

Also, I have 5 of the magazines (6th is done but needs to be mashed into the game screen; 7th is underway...I would be further but decided to put what I had in the game first just to make sure it was going to convert all right)

So, here is a before/after of that odd bug I had.

widetextbug2b.png
widetext_fixed.png

Reactions: GHANMI and Mars_x

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I was having a slight problem in that the Info windows showing when a new game is available, a new magazine, something happening at JoycoLand, etc. used to have text that was too wide (but fine everywhere else) but Nagato tried something ingenious and managed to get it all sorted out without mucking up the previously converted text (I'm wondering if it could also help with other projects...)
Please do tell. I love to read about this stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza