Hacking Custom Amiibo Cards for BOTW

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey @Random11 ! I've been away for a bit but I've had an amazing time with these cards that I created a bit ago with your formating. I've done a bit of searching around but haven't seen a SSB Bayonetta (P1 & P2) done by you. I prefer your format because your backgrounds are always done perfectly and the bleeds are always on point for use when printing out. Do you happen to have these done? If not, could I bother to request them? If not, that's okay as well. Thanks.
Haven't done bayonetta. I can do her. But p2 isn't going to look good. There is no high quality render of her character art. Only 512 by 512 pixels. Which is absolute garbage. If I had a high quality render I'd do it.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@forthisisme

smash bros card bayonetta.png smash bros card bayonetta v2.png smash bros card bayonetta p2.png smash bros card bayonetta p2 v2.png

Here. I tried my best with bayo p2. It isnt great but until someone finds high res renders I think its the best youre gonna get.

Last edited by Random11,

mrdami3n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Random11 Yeah good luck with finding ssb artwork for her. Couldn't grab it either. A friend designed these which are pretty badass, i did print them for him though so got myself a set too :) I did what you did and made the crappy SSB ones lol, these are much better. Ignore the poor image, it's like that for a reason. They are actually high res and look awesome. Some designs our only resource is to go fully custom. Got some custom fox and falco ones too ill be working on some cloud ones should get some decent high res images now with the VII remake.

Attachments

• Testcards.jpg
    Testcards.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 527

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Random11 Yeah good luck with finding ssb artwork for her. Couldn't grab it either. A friend designed these which are pretty badass, i did print them for him though so got myself a set too :) I did what you did and made the crappy SSB ones lol, these are much better. Ignore the poor image, it's like that for a reason. They are actually high res and look awesome. Some designs our only resource is to go fully custom. Got some custom fox and falco ones too ill be working on some cloud ones should get some decent high res images now with the VII remake.

The art is a composite of varying quality images. I'm sure a majority of people wouldn't ever notice the difference and what parts are made up of the low res image, unless you told them that the images were composites and they started inspecting it closely. And even if you do notice it on the digital file, if you are printing it on a standard inkjet printer you aren't going to notice anyway because the printer wont be able to print that level of detail. So like I said, it isn't "great" but its good enough for most people.

mike817

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want cards to be rigid there's a very easy solution. Just take scrap booking paper and sandwhich it between the two. You'd need twice the glue since yours obsioily gluing a third sheet in there but it works very well. This produces something slightly thicker then your average trading or playing card. It's a bit more effort but I started doing this and have been pleased with the outcome. My wife does scap booking so there isn't really an additional expense as I can use her paper scraps. Even still it maybe add around 5 cents a card if you go out and buy sheets yourself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I printed mine at staples before we bought a color laser printer (for unrelated reasons). I guess it might depend on who you work with. I printed them on multiple occasions (at least 6) since I made them for fitness too and I didn't have any resistance.

I say just try. It's not like their going to call the fbi on you lol. Look st how many people are selling this stuff all over the web. You trying to get a copy printed is going to be a very low risk in comparison.

I'm not worried about getting caught, you can barely find someone to check you out at my staples. I'm just looking for some pointers on what printer and paper options work best there. I've never actually used a color laser before.

JrDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I've searched far and wide, and this is the closest, but for a small handful, no dice.
I'm looking for a Super Mario version of Diddy Kong.
I'm also looking for a decent looking custom version of Gold Mega Man.
I like the Splatoon 2 ones, but is there any that match the artwork of the Amiibo box? They seem to have different pictures.

EDIT:
One reason I assume the Splatoon 2 is different is because it's hard to find good quality images of the boxart, well with some digging and searching, I found this.
It's not full, but it's the best I got. I'm still looking for the correct version of the boy.
Splatoon 2 Pic.png
EDIT 2:
And now a full version of the girl. That dang boy though.
char-pink.png

Last edited by JrDude,

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. I've searched far and wide, and this is the closest, but for a small handful, no dice.
I'm looking for a Super Mario version of Diddy Kong.
I'm also looking for a decent looking custom version of Gold Mega Man.
I like the Splatoon 2 ones, but is there any that match the artwork of the Amiibo box? They seem to have different pictures.

EDIT:
One reason I assume the Splatoon 2 is different is because it's hard to find good quality images of the boxart, well with some digging and searching, I found this.
It's not full, but it's the best I got. I'm still looking for the correct version of the boy.
View attachment 116787
EDIT 2:
And now a full version of the girl. That dang boy though.
View attachment 116788

Basically, if I cant find the art, I didnt make a card for it. Splatoon 2 I kind of made this mistake of thinking because I could find the squid the other 2 would be also available, so I just put in the next best available art for the girl and boy. Thats the first Ive seen of the girl in her proper pose.

spat2 card girl v2.png

------

And here are these:

smash bros card cloud.png smash bros card cloud v2.png smash bros card cloud p2.png smash bros card cloud p2 v2.png

Both P2 cards obviously are using less than great quality art. But the box art style one is really not good, so be warned. I couldnt hide the bad quality as well as I could with bayonetta p2 for the box art style.

Reactions: JrDude

Shadraak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is anyone else having problems with homemade amiibo?
i bought some really cheap PVC plastic credit card sized ntags.
they seem to be weak it takes like a good 30 seconds of holding them to my joycon for them to be detected and i have to hold them on there just right at some weird angle, and i cant get them to scan on the pro controller at all.
does anyone know is the problem my phone or my switch, or do i need more expensive or a different shape of ntags?

JrDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I tried hard, I couldn't find any official images for Splatoon 2 Boy, Mario Series Diddy Kong, nor Gold Megaman. Not much I can do about Splatoon Boy nor Diddy Kong, but I am OK at photo editing, so I modified the Smash Bros version of Mega Man to make him Gold.
Gold Mega Man 3.png
Not perfect, and doesn't look like the real Amiibo, but I did what I could, tried multiple times, couldn't get it to look close enough to the real thing, but it's a card, so what's it really going to matter?
So I was hoping for a custom card if possible. Though he is posed like the Super Smash Bros character, it is not officially a SSB Amiibo, as it's for Mega Man's Anniversary. Is it possible to make it look Mega Man-like?
If not, I wouldn't mind it using the SSB Template, but with Goldish & Blue accents if possible.
Thanks my good sir, you've been awesome at making these cards.

Oh, and to add on. Is it possible to make these without logos on them? I think the card would look cooler without all the names and what game it's from and all that.

EDIT:
I realized you use much bigger images when making these cards, which I didn't originally take into account. So I remade it with a bigger image. I didn't remember all of my exact steps, so it's different.
Gold Mega Man 7.png

Last edited by JrDude,

JrDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. I tried finding a way to make it myself, but I don't have the tools nor the knowhow to make it happen.
If you can't/don't want to, you can say no, of course (to this and the Gold Mega Man).
Could you make a Majora's Mask Link card, with a different image? I want clarity of Majora's Mask, but I neither want the Goron Mask in it, nor it being Fierce Diety Link.
I have found the best quality image that I would like.
MM3D_Link_Slash.png
No Tatl necessary, though I also don't mind her being there either.
I realize this is not a request thread, and I thank you for your time and hard work.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK. I tried finding a way to make it myself, but I don't have the tools nor the knowhow to make it happen.
If you can't/don't want to, you can say no, of course (to this and the Gold Mega Man).
Could you make a Majora's Mask Link card, with a different image? I want clarity of Majora's Mask, but I neither want the Goron Mask in it, nor it being Fierce Diety Link.
I have found the best quality image that I would like.
View attachment 117666
No Tatl necessary, though I also don't mind her being there either.
I realize this is not a request thread, and I thank you for your time and hard work.

.png

Here. Im sorry but thats all the time Im willing to put into this, so if you dont like it or would like x y or z changed, here is the template https://random11x.deviantart.com/art/Zelda-Template-678468174, you can make it as you like.

As for the gold mega man. Maybe at some point I'll work on it, but no plans right now. If you want to do it yourself I also uploaded the smash template here https://random11x.deviantart.com/art/Smash-Bros-Template-692722587

If you dont have photoshop, gimp will open the files, it will just require a bit more futzing around to get it to look right because some layers and effects dont get translated well. But its still usable.

Reactions: JrDude

JrDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 117694

Here. Im sorry but thats all the time Im willing to put into this, so if you dont like it or would like x y or z changed, here is the template *New Member Can't Have Links*, you can make it as you like.

As for the gold mega man. Maybe at some point I'll work on it, but no plans right now. If you want to do it yourself I also uploaded the smash template here *But without Link, who will save Zelda?*

If you dont have photoshop, gimp will open the files, it will just require a bit more futzing around to get it to look right because some layers and effects dont get translated well. But its still usable.
Dude. you are the raddest. I would have done it more zoomed in, but this is 100% fine too.
I tried opening the files, but I'll try again, see what I can come up with.
GIMP (which is what I use) gives me error messages when it tries to open the files asked to download from those links (today). Though, when I tried in the past (on a different computer), it opened it on a different program, which the free version of didn't seem to have the capabilities to do anything except pretend it's the program Paint.

The thing that would help the most is blank slates of the Zelda and Smash Bros thing, though I realize through skimming through this thread you've removed it due to people selling your stuff.
I'll fenagle a bit more. Because I have tried, and I have the ability to do it, but not the tools listed here.
Thanks for what you've done though. It's appreciated!

Last edited by JrDude,

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dude. you are the raddest. I would have done it more zoomed in, but this is 100% fine too.
I tried opening the files, but I'll try again, see what I can come up with.
GIMP (which is what I use) gives me error messages when it tries to open the files asked to download from those links (today). Though, when I tried in the past (on a different computer), it opened it on a different program, which the free version of didn't seem to have the capabilities to do anything except pretend it's the program Paint.

The thing that would help the most is blank slates of the Zelda and Smash Bros thing, though I realize through skimming through this thread you've removed it due to people selling your stuff.
I'll fenagle a bit more. Because I have tried, and I have the ability to do it, but not the tools listed here.
Thanks for what you've done though. It's appreciated!
What version of GIMP are you using. The zelda one worked fine when I opened it in GIMP 2.8. And the only thing I removed was the link to my mega.nz folder that had a PDF of all the cards set up for printing. Just cause it's was too much work to keep updated and people were sharing just that link without the context of this thread. I also made a guide for people to make their own PDFs. I didn't really take anything away.

JrDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version of GIMP are you using. The zelda one worked fine when I opened it in GIMP 2.8. And the only thing I removed was the link to my mega.nz folder that had a PDF of all the cards set up for printing. Just cause it's was too much work to keep updated and people were sharing just that link without the context of this thread. I also made a guide for people to make their own PDFs. I didn't really take anything away.
OK. I as going the "fast route" of opening files. In other words, I was doing it all wrong! But a few Google searches later and I discovered, I can!
I typed a whole message asking how and whatnot, and realized, there's a faster, quicker, easier way to answer questions. Google!
So, I have the template working now!
We'll see what I can come up with.
Wish me luck!

Reactions: Random11

JrDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried REALLY hard on the Majora's Mask one (in order to zoom him in, like some of the other Zelda cards). Epic fail, I couldn't figure out anything for that one. And I thought that one would have been easier.
So I instead tried Gold Mega Man. And though, I don't think I did bad, I don't think I did that good either. I think I did alright for my first try.
Gold Mega Man.png
I tried to make the font stretch out, but even my knowledge of GIMP is limited.
I tried blue accents, but it didn't look good, so I stuck to Gold all around.

EDIT: A few minutes of studying my work, I realize I need to make the name smaller (nuuu, it's already super small) so it doesn't get cut off. Luckily I also saved the file to be able to edit it later.
And though if I needed to, I would use my Gold Mega Man Card for what I'm looking for, but I think using a pro's version would be preferred. But if you don't want to do it, it's fine.
I officially have all the things I need for the Cards I want, and though not everything is perfection, everything is close enough.

Last edited by JrDude,

forthisisme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most places won't print them because they contain trademarked images (ie the characters and logos)

So I wanted to share my experience as I was one of the few many months back (early 2017, mid 2017 and lastly February 2018) who used makeplayingcards.com to print my own set of amiibo cards rather than printing myself or using Staples.

In all my orders, I've only recently had them respond to my last order and ask me to remove images due to copy right. Those cards were the Mario Odyssey cards that Random made. It surprised me as they let me print the Splatoon characters, Shovel Knight, all the Zelda cards, many different Smash Bros cards and the Metroid: Samus Returns cards. All with the back images that have the amiibo logo still there. I can't tell if they are only now actively reviewing images but that has been my experience so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password