• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypto-Currency Ethereum Wallet Gets Hacked

Following recent crypto-currency news, the popular currency known as Ethereum has been driving up GPU prices and demolishing availability, has been hacked. An estimated 153,000 "Ether" has been stolen, with estimates at a value of 32.6 million US dollars.

"The initWallet function should have been marked internal, but was instead not marked. Unmarked functions default to public in Solidity, so anyone can call that function and reinitialize the wallet to be under their control"

Will this be the down-fall of Ethereum? Will we see a sudden surge of cheap, high end GPU's on the markets? One can only hope!

Read more about the wallet hack here.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And f****d over themselves, then they either move on losing an portion or become broke and homeless.
So? Businesses and other ventures fail all the time. It seems to be a risk society is OK with, especially as the upside is you get nice businesses and ventures.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bitcoin has been around, popular even, for how many years now? Most governments I have seen have ultimately said "we will treat it like various other types of investments and as long as you pay the relevant tax (capital gains or something) when you sell it or perform exchanges with it then it is all good". Any other illegal services/items you might purchase then fall under existing laws, possibly with the nature of payment being an aggravating factor in charges.

Likewise the grounds for making it illegal would conflict somewhat with the basic concepts of law in most "free" countries, that being something like you are free to live your life as you see fit as long as you are not harming others or society at large.
First gpu mining is now useless for bitcoin, and second it's stable.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_0590.PNG IMG_0589.PNG IMG_0588.PNG

Tell me how these charts show crypto as unprofitable?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So? Businesses and other ventures fail all the time. It seems to be a risk society is OK with, especially as the upside is you get nice businesses and ventures.
The problem is they start 'b*t**ing' after suffering the consequences. And the recent Eth drop?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

View attachment 93450 View attachment 93451 View attachment 93452

Tell me how these charts show crypto as unprofitable?
Trading, yes. Mining, hell no.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is they start 'b*t**ing' after suffering the consequences. And the recent Eth drop?
The mandatory bust after a bubble. It's why the Federal Reserve was created in America. Too much growth too quickly always has a backlash.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The mandatory bust after a bubble. It's why the Federal Reserve was created in America. Too much growth too quickly always has a backlash.
Maybe the government gets smart before things get out of hand.

Last edited by Yil,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First gpu mining is now useless for bitcoin, and second it's stable.
How is GPU mining relevant to this aspect of the discussion? I can go just as broke by buying FPGAs or custom silicon.
Also
https://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg730ztgTzm1g10zm2g25
Hardly stable compared to other financial instruments; start of the year around 1000 exchange rate for that exchange (for the sake of keeping the posts relatively link free can we agree it is going to be broadly similar for the other exchanges), topped 3000 a few months later, then saw a drop of 33% to 2000 or so which is still double what the thing started the year at and in the last few days has crept back up.

The problem is they start 'b*t**ing' after suffering the consequences.
And? A business I do some stuff for had a partner completely drop the ball and tank it a while back. Some harsh words were said by people involved there. After that life carried on. Seems no different here.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not a governments job to think for people.
No. It's to save themselves the trouble of cleanning up.
How is GPU mining relevant to this aspect of the discussion? I can go just as broke by buying FPGAs or custom silicon.
Also
https://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg730ztgTzm1g10zm2g25
Hardly stable compared to other financial instruments; start of the year around 1000 exchange rate for that exchange (for the sake of keeping the posts relatively link free can we agree it is going to be broadly similar for the other exchanges), topped 3000 a few months later, then saw a drop of 33% to 2000 or so which is still double what the thing started the year at and in the last few days has crept back up.

And? A business I do some stuff for had a partner completely drop the ball and tank it a while back. Some harsh words were said by people involved there. After that life carried on. Seems no different here.
It's much better than years back but after it enters public eyes.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. It's to save themselves the trouble of cleanning up.
Clean up what? Money lost
in poor investment strategy? That's not a governments job either.

I can understand regulations and oversight. Humanity has greedy tendencies. However, the intrusion into personal liberties for the sake of "protection" is always a bad idea.

Last edited by brickmii82,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
HA!
Justice has been done. In case somebody forgot, many organized crime syndicates and even terrorist organizations relied on cryptocurrency to do their finances. Not to mention buying up GPUs en masse to the point where their prices skyrocket and using them for purposes other than their intended use is analogue to scalping. GPU manufacturers should have torpedoed mining with driver updates long ago.

Reactions: Yil

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and using them for purposes other than their intended use is analogue to scalping
>researchers relying on raw GPU power in their campuses
>CAD designers that need a decent GPU
>people that do Blender renders as a hobby
>people that have 8GB of VRAM but'll never do anything but using MS Office and surfing on Facebook
Are those "intended uses" for a gaming GPU? If so - why not mining? How is it any different in comparison to projects like folding@home? And why do you keep your head so far up your intestinal cavities?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>researchers relying on raw GPU power in their campuses
>CAD designers that need a decent GPU
>people that do Blender renders as a hobby
>people that have 8GB of VRAM but'll never do anything but using MS Office and surfing on Facebook
Are those "intended uses" for a gaming GPU? If so - why not mining? How is it any different in comparison to projects like folding@home? And why do you keep your head so far up your intestinal cavities?
People can still be pissed with not very good reasons.

Reactions: brickmii82

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big companies like mining too. There went your GPU. Anyway, I do not support crypto-currency but I do support a silver/gold standard system.

bKYUml8.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's pretty good at being conductive
Not really. Copper is better and considerably less dense. Gold just does not corrode that easily so it is OK for coating connectors.

I will give that unlike diamonds and the purity fetish there it is not without practical uses, however they are not so many. It is harder to imagine what it might be used for were it as common as brick and steel but its mechanical properties are known and they are not great.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think