• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypto-Currency Ethereum Wallet Gets Hacked

Following recent crypto-currency news, the popular currency known as Ethereum has been driving up GPU prices and demolishing availability, has been hacked. An estimated 153,000 "Ether" has been stolen, with estimates at a value of 32.6 million US dollars.

"The initWallet function should have been marked internal, but was instead not marked. Unmarked functions default to public in Solidity, so anyone can call that function and reinitialize the wallet to be under their control"

Will this be the down-fall of Ethereum? Will we see a sudden surge of cheap, high end GPU's on the markets? One can only hope!

Read more about the wallet hack here.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Leaving aside that such a move would probably have them under fire by various regulatory bodies how would you propose doing that?

If it could be, I don't see why disabling a feature in drivers would cause any problems legally. It's not like locking off stuff via drivers hasn't been done before.

Nvidia locked you off from using a 2nd card as dedicated PhysX card if your primary card was AMD. Nothing stopping it working except artificial driver limitation (there was hacked drivers to go around it at one point).

Not sure why locking off mining would be different and cause them problems.

They might make a version that is less useful for games but can still do mining style calculations, and possibly some calculations others might want, but that is a different matter.

Sapphire already did it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...sung-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-380-sp.html

470 with video out stripped off. Don't think it had the desired effect as there's no resale value on such a card when the bubble pops.

On gpu prices in general though, I wouldn't expect instant drops soon as mining is done anyway. Not just mining pushing them up, memory shortages are as well. Anything using memory has gone up as well. SSD prices and ram are also massivly inflated at the moment. Mining is not helping, but it's not the sole cause of high gpu prices.

Last edited by Armadillo,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could possibly make a stability argument for the physx stuff, though I shall have to read more into that. The only driver related fun I had previously seen was for the CAD focused graphics cards and the regular ones where the former had special (usually slower and stability focused) drivers for essentially the same hardware.

It was more that it gets a bit tricky if you start restricting things for an otherwise open device. See also Sony getting a slap when they removed Linux from the PS3
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...tion-lawsuit-regarding-os-reached-settlement/
Now I agree that depending upon the timing of actions and how they set about selling it, possibly also the nature of drivers (I am a bit behind the times but I assume they went the same way as Intel microcode in their CPUs/almost FPGA programming style setups) that the PS3 thing above may be poor comparison but that would be where I come from for now.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
If it could be, I don't see why disabling a feature in drivers would cause any problems legally. It's not like locking off stuff via drivers hasn't been done before.

Nvidia locked you off from using a 2nd card as dedicated PhysX card if your primary card was AMD. Nothing stopping it working except artificial driver limitation (there was hacked drivers to go around it at one point).

Not sure why locking off mining would be different and cause them problems.

Sapphire already did it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...sung-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-380-sp.html

470 with video out stripped off. Don't think it had the desired effect as there's no resale value on such a card when the bubble pops.

On gpu prices in general though, I wouldn't expect instant drops soon as mining is done anyway. Not just mining pushing them up, memory shortages are as well. Anything using memory has gone up as well. SSD prices and ram are also massivly inflated at the moment. Mining is not helping, but it's not the sole cause of high gpu prices.
I wouldn't buy any such card unless they were A LOT cheaper than their regular ones.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't buy any such card unless they were A LOT cheaper than their regular ones.
Funny cause Nvidia said they are going to push both gtx 1060 and gtx 1080 (with GDDR5 which has lower latency) with mining optimized driver. They are hardly cheaper if not more expansive and a non-renewable warranty of 90 days.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Funny cause Nvidia said they are going to push both gtx 1060 and gtx 1080 (with GDDR5 which has lower latency) with mining optimized driver. They are hardly cheaper if not more expansive and a non-renewable warranty of 90 days.
If they're more expensive, I doubt they'll have much success

Sent from my cave of despair where I don't stalk Seriel

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a proper business practice and other people are stripped the chance to get a gpu.
Making money is the only proper business practice, and supply/demand changes are logical effects.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Making money is the only proper business practice, and supply/demand changes are logical effects.
Still, I can get pissed about it and wish them bad luck.
And how is something that fluctuate this fast without any other purpose a proper practice? Do they make stuff or offer service that other people can use? Bitcoins have jumped over 1 million times.

Last edited by Yil,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Accumulating goodwill can be vital to making money in the long term. And supply/demand doesn't really work once configuration complacency sets in. Why do you think so many people still use Yahoo?

D

Deleted User

So hopefully the 1060 6gb will go back down to 250$ on amazon?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still, I can get pissed about it and wish them bad luck.
And how is something that fluctuate this fast without any other purpose a proper practice? Do they make stuff or offer service that other people can use? Bitcoins have jumped over 1 million times.
You can do as you please but I can not see how wishing someone ill will for doing no real harm is cool.
If facilitating transactions was not enough then again this is a type of currency which does so called smart contracts and that is a service any way you slice it

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could possibly make a stability argument for the physx stuff, though I shall have to read more into that. The only driver related fun I had previously seen was for the CAD focused graphics cards and the regular ones where the former had special (usually slower and stability focused) drivers for essentially the same hardware.
If we want to get technical one could make the same argument for locking a card out of mining

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If we want to get technical one could make the same argument for locking a card out of mining
So is it more likely to target established executable, codes (professional mining facilities should be running their own os, and Nvidia might not even have a driver for it so blocking is impossible), or protocals?

Last edited by Yil,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if drivers were locked, they'd still be used for mining. People would just create their own. They did it with firmware. Why would drivers be different? We hack the shit out of electronics here for gaming. People will go further if it involves money.

Reactions: Mikemk
D

Deleted-355425

I have a pair of 1050Tis running Einstein@Home, they are awesome cards.

As far as crypto crap and fake money, I'll hang onto the real stuff.

vHUbLI5.jpg

chocolate money?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even if drivers were locked, they'd still be used for mining. People would just create their own. They did it with firmware. Why would drivers be different? We hack the shit out of electronics here for gaming. People will go further if it involves money.
Not every miner has that capacity, even installing a custom firmware can be hard let alone writing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on having to wash them. :D