Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Like I already said.

If the large capacity is a requirement for you, then the iTouch isn't really an option.

However, the iTouch is better in every other way.

As far as wireless song transfer, I have to say that the speed of the wireless chipset is far more annoying than having to plug it in.

thats all bias/preference. although (expressing bias), itouch/ipod touch is a gay name. Zune gives the sense of speed or something...

M$ just threw wireless for perks. people who need it will know when to use it and not find it annoying... maybe

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
themartin26 said:
Urza. I'm interested to know what you consider to be the be-all-end-all in PMPs? You seem to be the only one who knows what's going on, and I'd like to know what product you think is the best. I'm talking about functionality, memory, size, style, GUI, codec support....everything. What is the best device?
Overall I'd side with the iPhone/iPod Touch as the handset all-in-one PDA/mediaplayer/etc.

One of its main detriments though is crap codec support. So if you're wanting to play alot of videos (xvid, avis, stuff in mkv containers, etc), or less standard audio formats like ogg, flac, etc, then you might want to look into the Archos players (although I'm not really up to date on the Archos dev community, you'd be best getting the latest generation that's been hacked).

And of course once again the matter of relatively meager storage capacity.

themartin26

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
superdude said:
themartin26 said:
Urza. I'm interested to know what you consider to be the be-all-end-all in PMPs? You seem to be the only one who knows what's going on, and I'd like to know what product you think is the best. I'm talking about functionality, memory, size, style, GUI, codec support....everything. What is the best device?

*looks at post count* the only thing is the itouch has more extra stuff but the zune is more on the casual stuff like music and videos

I frequent the forums, but I don't post often. I know the difference between the itouch and zunes. I am merely interested in what Urza thinks it the best PMP available out of all the different manufacturers. I would not consider either the Zune or the Itouch as being the best. I don't think Urza does either and I'd like to know what he thinks is the best.

Yes, I am an Archos fan. For what I use a PMP for it is the best solution I have found.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
themartin26 said:
superdude said:
themartin26 said:

*looks at post count* the only thing is the itouch has more extra stuff but the zune is more on the casual stuff like music and videos

I frequent the forums, but I don't post often. I know the difference between the itouch and zunes. I am merely interested in what Urza thinks it the best PMP available out of all the different manufacturers. I would not consider either the Zune or the Itouch as being the best. I don't think Urza does either and I'd like to know what he thinks is the best.
...but he just did... (except for codecs)

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Out of the two choices, I'd go with the Zune, only because I need the capacity to fill up my whole collection, along with around 35 gigs of videos.
However, if capacity isn't too important, then Ipod Touch isn't going to lose here. Better usage of wifi, apps, etc.
But for me, I plan on getting the Cowon D2, since I started upgrading my collection to FLAC.

Also, Skullcandies ARE horribly shitty. All it is is simply a trendy crap that every ignorant teen seems to love, since it looks trendy, and the name "skullcandy" sounds awesome to them. With a few of my friends that have REAL headphones (One used PX100, one used the old lower end model of Shure), have listen to the Skullcandy Lowriders, and it sounded AWFUL. Even my $10 earbuds from Korea sounded better, while the Lowriders were around 40 bucks around here. I'll recommend the Sennheiser PX100, and the Koss Porta Pro. I use the Porta pros, and I just love the bass it provides. Porta pros have a lifetime warrenty, so it doesn't matter where you buy them. As for Sennheiser PX100, DON'T BUY IT AT FUTURESHOP OR ANY OTHER CANADIAN STORES. They're charging about 85 bucks for it, when you can get them at 30 bucks in the US. Also, Ebay is your friend.....

Lastly, the newest Archos look, and preform superbly. Here's a pretty through review about it.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/20...os-5-review.php

LagunaCid said:
I've heard that the latest Arches kick major ass. They're more video players than music players, though.
EDIT: More info here. It actually looks kind of nice. However, I've never seen them on sale.

That's the old model.... Not worth it at this point, when you can get the Archos 5

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As a few people have already noted, you can't really compare them.

One one hand, you've got a PMP that's really designed as a phone/video device, with a large touch-screen. It's slimline, small on storage space and expensive. It's more akin to a PDA than a PMP really.
On the other hand, you've got a PMP that's borrowed features from PDAs - WiFi, large screen, etc. It's not particularly slimline, but it's got much more storage space, and it's not as expensive.

Personally, my vote goes with the Zune. Here's why:

1) I already have a Smartphone running WM 6.1. I don't need that functionality in my MP3 player.
2) As a teacher, I use my MP3 player to carry around music I can use as teaching aids instead of hundreds of CD's. 8GB storage (even 32GB really) isn't enough.
3) Zune software is infinitely more appealing to me than iTunes. Have a read about the new software - it's much more visually appealing, and it's much easier to use. Add in features like Mixview which beats out Apple's Genius, nice integration with social aspects, and the Zune Pass, and iTunes is severely lacking in several areas. To be fair, iTunes has a better music and video selection, however.
4) No tactile control - Honestly, whose idea was it to make an MP3 player that is almost bereft of physical controls? Fair enough, have the touch screen as the main control, but let me control volume, play/pause/stop/next/previous with buttons on the side of the device. If you're driving, it becomes dangerous to change tracks, and if you've got it in your pocket, it becomes tedious.

You may say the Zune is a trendy p.o.s that isn't in the same league as Apple products - however I beg to differ. I have nothing against Apple products (I own several Macs in addition to PCs), and the iTouch/iPhone is a very nice piece of hardware. However, if you look at how far the Zune has come since v1.0, it's a very long way, and the support for the products has been great. V1.0 Zune 30s get exactly the same update as brand new Zune 120s, and they get all the same features. Since when do Apple provide such good support for their iPods? Charging for a bloody FW update?
rolleyes.gif

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkMatt said:

One one hand, you've got a PMP that's really designed as a phone/video device, with a large touch-screen. It's slimline, small on storage space and expensive. It's more akin to a PDA than a PMP really.
On the other hand, you've got a PMP that's borrowed features from PDAs - WiFi, large screen, etc. It's not particularly slimline, but it's got much more storage space, and it's not as expensive.

Personally, my vote goes with the Zune. Here's why:

1) I already have a Smartphone running WM 6.1. I don't need that functionality in my MP3 player.
2) As a teacher, I use my MP3 player to carry around music I can use as teaching aids instead of hundreds of CD's. 8GB storage (even 32GB really) isn't enough.
3) Zune software is infinitely more appealing to me than iTunes. Have a read about the new software - it's much more visually appealing, and it's much easier to use. Add in features like Mixview which beats out Apple's Genius, nice integration with social aspects, and the Zune Pass, and iTunes is severely lacking in several areas. To be fair, iTunes has a better music and video selection, however.
4) No tactile control - Honestly, whose idea was it to make an MP3 player that is almost bereft of physical controls? Fair enough, have the touch screen as the main control, but let me control volume, play/pause/stop/next/previous with buttons on the side of the device. If you're driving, it becomes dangerous to change tracks, and if you've got it in your pocket, it becomes tedious.

You may say the Zune is a trendy p.o.s that isn't in the same league as Apple products - however I beg to differ. I have nothing against Apple products (I own several Macs in addition to PCs), and the iTouch/iPhone is a very nice piece of hardware. However, if you look at how far the Zune has come since v1.0, it's a very long way, and the support for the products has been great. V1.0 Zune 30s get exactly the same update as brand new Zune 120s, and they get all the same features. Since when do Apple provide such good support for their iPods? Charging for a bloody FW update?
rolleyes.gif

...how long did that take to type? lol

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkMatt said:

On the other hand, you've got a PMP that's borrowed features from PDA's - WiFi, large screen, etc. It's not particularly slimline, but it's got much more storage space, and it's not as expensive.
I have to disagree.

I'm not going to burden myself with two separate devices. Whatever I choose to use should perform all the functions I need it to.

QUOTE4) No tactile control - Honestly, whose idea was it to make an MP3 player that is almost bereft of physical controls? Fair enough, have the touch screen as the main control, but let me control volume, play/pause/stop/next/previous with buttons on the side of the device. If you're driving, it becomes dangerous to change tracks, and if you've got it in your pocket, it becomes tedious.
The new iTouch's have tactile volume buttons on the side, and you've always been able to use the clicky button on the headphones to navigate tracks.

And while everything else you said is either irrelevant to myself or I disagree with as well (WiMo = /vomit), at least your points are backed up with logic.

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Urza

Fair enough. I haven't had the opportunity to use the new iTouch yet, so I didn't know they had volume controls - that was a big complaint for me anyway.

I do like convergence, but to me, it seems better to carry around two devices than one device that does half-arsed jobs at both. If I could get a large iTouch at a similar cost to what the 16GB one costs, I'd probably jump on board. The fact that I can't get a bigger one than 32gb (I have 100+GB of music, and I need to have access to it in case I need it in a lesson, etc), means it's out of the question.
For most people the iPod range is probably better - there's a better range of accessories for them, for a start. If Apple would take a leaf out of Microsoft's book and upgrade the software (it really does need re-writing, not just more parts tacked onto it) as much as they upgrade the hardware, there'd be no competition.

As for Windows Mobile, it's not THAT bad
tongue.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkMatt said:
If Apple would take a leaf out of Microsoft's book and upgrade the software (it really does need re-writing, not just more parts tacked onto it) as much as they upgrade the hardware, there'd be no competition.
The iPod Touch firmware has been updated several times since its release a year ago.

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
DarkMatt said:
If Apple would take a leaf out of Microsoft's book and upgrade the software (it really does need re-writing, not just more parts tacked onto it) as much as they upgrade the hardware, there'd be no competition.
The iPod Touch firmware has been updated several times since its release a year ago.
Not the iPod Touch firmware - that's fine. iTunes is what needs updating. Instead of re-writing it to take into account that it's grown significantly since its inception, they keep adding stuff onto it. It's not the sleek, minimalist piece of software it used to be.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkMatt said:
Urza said:
DarkMatt said:
Not the iPod Touch firmware - that's fine. iTunes is what needs updating. Instead of re-writing it to take into account that it's grown significantly since its inception, they keep adding stuff onto it. It's not the sleek, minimalist piece of software it used to be.
Ah.

Well I really don't pay much mind to it anyways, since its only open a few minutes a day for syncing purposes.

You should keep in mind that iTunes is designed primarily for OSX, had to be rewritten from scratch for Windows, and that Microsoft doesn't even offer their Zune software on other operating systems.

CyrusVN

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got an iPod Nano 3rd 8Gb and I hate it so much with its stupid iTunes.

Actually I like Zune better but due to the fact that iPod is like a trendy fashion so...

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
If you own a Mac, get an iPod (though if you're thinking about a Zune, why not think about the Classic? I have a Classic and like it a lot). I am told Zunes don't work with iTunes (though I am not clear on this). Under Windows iTunes is awful, awful, awful, but there are a variety of programs you can use to get music and movies on an iPod under Windows that are much better than iTunes Windows.

I have a Mac and all the people who say iPods suck are really just anti-trend whores. They have the same knee jerk reaction they accuse the people they dislike of. The Zune and the iPod Touch are very very different players so if you're into movies, need Net access on the go, or want to mess with the App Store (and its not clear how good or bad that will be), get the Touch. If you just want a lot of music/movies on your person, the Zune (or the Classic) is the best way to go.

I haven't had much experience with Microsoft support, but if you have AppleCare (every new iPod comes with a year of it, but I would highly recommend buying the apple warranty at some point before that year's out) getting a broken player replaced is really easy (and they do break). I've used it (the warranty service) world wide and been reasonably satisfied with it.

Generally speaking under Windows I would say either is fine but keep in mind the iPod is far and away more popular than the Zune, so when you want an FM transmitter, a case, or some other accessory, the iPod's much better supported there too.

superdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://www.zune.net/en-us/whatsnew.htm the fm is bulit in so you don't need to spend an extra $50 for the add-on to make your itouch look alot bigger. well of course when you use apple products with a mac it will work better becuse it's apple but if you use windows products with windows xp/vista they will work better becuse it's windows

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work