Zimbra Server, Noobish help?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Pecrow, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    I've set up a Zimbra Web server setup under a virtual machine.

1. I have a domain with GoDaddy.
    2. I have a static IP at home.
    3. I have access to my modem, where I route ports to local virtual machines, etc. (I have done this just fine with webservers, and other applications.
    4. I can route items like subdomains under godaddy to access my domain under individual ports, etc.

My question is:

I set up a VM running Zimbra, It works just fine under my internal network, I have performed routing under godaddy and my modem so that I can access both the Admin and Client websites for Zimbra externally. I can create email addresses just fine under my Zimbra server.

How can I actually get my Zimbra to be able to send emails to other emails, like gmail, outlook, etc?
    Do I have to buy email subscriptions under godaddy to be able to route that to my personal Zimbra server?

During the Zimbra server installation I only had this error: (adding if relevant)
    DNS ERROR - none of the MX records for <removed>.com

My /etc/hosts has: <IP> <domain.com> <hostname>

I would assume that I would have to configure direct ports on my router (below) to all e sent to my Zimbra VM's IP address, right?

13) IMAP server port: 7143
    14) IMAP server SSL port: 7993
    15) POP server port: 7110
    16) POP server SSL port: 7995

How can I let the External world, connect to my .... email@domain.com? (I have a domain, I just added domain to remove my noob'ness from the internet.

Anyone willing to give me a hand please?

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    So, you don't have an MX record for your domain?

3. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Hi, Thx for the reply.

I currently do not, or not sure, which is worse. If I access may domain on godaddy I see for the NX Records I have the following:

mailstore1.secureserver.net
    smtp.secureserver.net

Should I change these to my static IP?

4. Pecrow
    OP

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    How do I know what needs to go under the MX record, or where can I get that information?

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Your MX record should point to wherever your mail server is located (in this case, your server's IP since GoDaddy isn't handling your mail). Also, for convenience sake, use i-MSCP In the future. It does all this for you automatically.
    https://github.com/i-MSCP/imscp

Pecrow likes this.