M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got the demo and uploaded it to my website.

http://shtbc.uni.cc/PHwifidemo.nds
You son of a B*TCH!!!
laugh.gif
rofl2.gif

You got me
tongue.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got the demo and uploaded it to my website.

http://shtbc.uni.cc/PHwifidemo.nds

You son of a B*TCH!!!
laugh.gif
rofl2.gif

You got me
tongue.gif
nyanya.gif
You only had to put the cursor over it to tell it was what it was!
Well, the funny thing is that I told a friend that I had finally found it. So I rightclicked on the link and used copy link location. When I Ctrl-V-ed it in his chatwindow, it was a Youtube-link. After a few times trying, the problem was still present. When I clicked the link...

hate2.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ign have done a "hands on" for the demo:

"Different from the past demo versions, the new retail demo appears to start off right at the start of the game. Since you probably hate it when anyone spoils your Zelda, we'll skip the details and get to the point. Link, in search of Tetra, arrives on an island and falls in the company of a Navi-like fairy. You're told to head to the nearby port village, where it appears sea-travel awaits Link once again.

Nintendo wastes no time getting players into the game. You first start off by solving a simple puzzle in order to get Link's sword. This puzzle involves writing a number on a board directly with the stylus. I was able to input a "7" numeral character to solve this puzzle, in place of a kanji character. Of course, importers may want to prepare themselves in case later puzzles require actual Japanese inputs.

Sword in hand, you're able to lead Link into a forest, on your way to your first dungeon. The forest has lots of enemy targets, which you can take out using the stylus-based combat controls. Expectedly, the game also seems to feature plenty of foliage to chop down, with larger trees joining the shrubs Link has been cutting down since Link to the Past.

We detailed the game's stylus-based controls back in our E3 hands-on playtest. However, for those who are just tuning in, we'll reiterate. This game is controlled exclusively via the stylus. You move Link and target enemies by pointing, and execute special attacks by sliding. Buttons are used for shortcuts, like toggling the map from the top screen to the bottom, although these can be performed with the stylus as well.

The Touch! Try! DS kiosks are programmed to make you stop touching and trying after just 10 minutes, so I was only able to sample the controls via just a few quick fights. I did manage to replay those 10 minutes over and over again, though, and have to admit that while initially skeptical, I've come to love controlling Link via this new control scheme. Combat is fast and fluid, with Link connecting attacks between different enemies. The stylus also seems to be better suited for some moves, like picking up and tossing objects.

What's really telling is that my impressions are so favorable even though I wasn't actually using the stylus. The retail kiosk I used was missing the stylus, so I had to use my pointer finger to play. Even though the screen was somewhat blocked off due to my fat finger, I was still having a blast just moving Link around and slashing at things. With a proper stylus in hand, the experience should be even better!

Nintendo seems to have embraced the stylus completely for this latest Zelda game, rather than going the safe route that most third parties take and offering the option for "standard" controls. As Link advances on his quest, the stylus should come even more into play, with the boomerang requiring that you draw a trajectory, and sailing requiring that you plot out paths on a map. And, of course, there's the ability to jot down memos on the map directly. This will presumably help out when dealing with a particularly tough dungeon.

In addition to the stylus controls, I was a bit worried about the downgrade in visuals from the GameCube to the DS. While the game doesn't have the clean visuals of a GameCube game, it does retain the overall look of its controversial predecessor. On top of some solid cel-shading, Nintendo has packed plenty of detail and animation into the visuals, and even managed to get 3D displaying on both screens during cinemas, a trick that only a few DS games have used so far.

This could be one of the best looking DS games yet.

Screenshots and online videos don't do the game justice. See it running live on the tiny DS screens, and you may have to look twice to convince yourself that this is a DS game.

It was tough to force myself away from the demo kiosk even after playing through the same area of the game multiple times. The wait for the Japanese version of Phantom Hourglass is just a few days, but it's going to be painful. You'll have to wait even longer for a true localized version, but we'll be sure and provide full impressions once we have the final import in our hands."

So sounds like its a demo that you can only play at the kiosks. I'm guessing you can only get it from having a dump of the actual cart? Doesn't sound like its a download to the DS and play demo but then I could be wrong.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys. I just got back from yamada-denki (big Japanese electronics store) and played the demo. I guess since IGN already posted impressions I don't have that much to add.

The visuals are indeed gorgeous. Although viewing it from top-down makes it look like nothing special, every cut-scene and entering houses and shops and stuff looks incredible.

Stylus play worked very nicely though I would recommend a longer stylus to prevent your hand from blocking the screen.

I fiddled around catching a chicken. You have to approach it slowly by holding the stylus close to link. Worked quite well.

A small something for people who are considering importing it: you can get hiragana to display above kanji if you hold your stylus pressed on the word. This is great for people like me, who know a lot of Japanese but are still bad at kanji.

Since it was restricted to 10 minutes I didn't get to do a whole lot. Heck, I didn't even manage to get the sword because I couldn't figure out what to do (reading the text took too much time, making my 10 minutes even shorter).

That considered, I don't think I can answer any important questions...though you're free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys. I just got back from yamada-denki (big Japanese electronics store) and played the demo. I guess since IGN already posted impressions I don't have that much to add.

The visuals are indeed gorgeous. Although viewing it from top-down makes it look like nothing special, every cut-scene and entering houses and shops and stuff looks incredible.

Stylus play worked very nicely though I would recommend a longer stylus to prevent your hand from blocking the screen.

I fiddled around catching a chicken. You have to approach it slowly by holding the stylus close to link. Worked quite well.

A small something for people who are considering importing it: you can get hiragana to display above kanji if you hold your stylus pressed on the word. This is great for people like me, who know a lot of Japanese but are still bad at kanji.

Since it was restricted to 10 minutes I didn't get to do a whole lot. Heck, I didn't even manage to get the sword because I couldn't figure out what to do (reading the text took too much time, making my 10 minutes even shorter).

That considered, I don't think I can answer any important questions...though you're free to ask and I'll try to answer.
Alright! I'll just wait 'till Friday I guess... The demo probably won't be released
frown.gif

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the US release date? I think I'm going to just wait until it comes out in the US so i don't spoil it. I would like to play the demo though just to get a feel of the gameplay and controls.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing its a kiosk only demo and not a downloadable I don't think we'll see it for a long while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster