Zelda-inspired action-adventure title 'XEL' announced; launches on PC and Consoles in 2022

xel game.png

Publisher Assemble Entertainment and developer Tiny Roar announced their new game today: XEL. It is described as a game inspired by the Zelda series where you will need to solve puzzles, explore dungeons and battle robots and wildlife as you help the amnesiac protagonist explore and unravel the mysteries of land she finds herself in. An announcement trailer for XEL was released today giving us a look at some early alpha footage:

XEL follows an amnesiac protagonist named Reid, who finds herself shipwrecked on an enigmatic world with no memory of her previous life. Players will join Reid as she sets out to get to the bottom of the mystery behind this bizarre land filled with secrets, puzzles, and a not-so-stable sense of time. Explore a beautiful overworld dotted with challenging dungeons in a classic, top-down, 3D action-adventure format in a rich, vivid palette. During her quest Reid will meet charming, enduring characters, engage in thrilling combat, and of course, find and upgrade a whole bevy of nifty weapons, items, gadgets, and moves — some of which may help her jump through space and time.

Key Features of XEL include:
  • Sci-fi Dungeon Diving: The world of XEL features a vast, extensive overworld and challenging, Zelda-like dungeons to explore
  • A Deep Combat System: Become proficient at using a variety of attacks and combos, while dodging, and parrying to tackle and take out foes
  • Gadgets & Guns: Master and upgrade your weapons, shield, and gadgets to smash your foes and open up new areas to explore
  • Deep Lore and a Deeper Mystery: What exactly happened to this world, and who is responsible? Piece together a captivating story and dive into the legends behind the cryptic history XEL
  • Spacetime? Not a Problem: Unlock special abilities that allow Reid to bend the rules of space and time, grantingher access to previously impassable areas and opening up new ways to defeat difficult enemies
XEL is expected to launch in Q2 2022 on Steam, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It currently looks bad if you ask me. Let's hope this game isn't released in alpha/beta form like so many games on steam. Interest in the games is lost long before the game even makes it to "retail".

Reactions: IncredulousP

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems a little weird to self describe it as a zeldaish game. Why would someone do that and try and draw the direct comparison that's already evident within the first couple seconds of the close up grass and flowers shot.

If you want to make the most zelda'd game when you do it you should shut up about it. Hope for duping casual botw fans or zelda in general into liking your game because it's similar to a very popular franchises. And then also hope to attract zelda fans into this zelda inspired game naturally and let them hash it out amongst themselves organically to see what happens. You can't force this on them it's weird.

I'd like to squash this zelda game genre variant soon as possible. A lot of opinions on the word metroidvania seem to imply that it's stupid.

In closing i think self proclaiming to be inspired by something holds you to be scrutinized for being a wannabe. If some jerk i knew in real life told me they were making a wannabe zelda game i guess i would think it's cool. The fact that some one did it and is managing to publish it is kinda cool too.

Now a lot is riding on suckiness of the game because if the game sucks then the hell with these guys. If it's decent then good.

Here's another closing thought maybe this isn't a zelda wannabe game. But actually an Axiom verge wannabe game. Because that's a great game that everyone knows and is fine with it being a metroid game. So now some group is trying to get in on that action by saying they're making their own zelda.

Either way i hate everything about all of this.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it's the dev's responsibility to set up their store page. As it states in the Steam's documentation for developers.
yes, its upto Tiny Roar to set up its own store, thats completely different if someone writes a news article about its game to publish to their store.

as the opening to the article says it
Together with developer Tiny Roar we have today unveiled the latest title to join our roster.

Its an article written by steam on behalf of Tiny Roar, so the editor who wrote this is one of those folks that seem to think its zelda inspired or zelda like, just because it shares something similar to what nintendo have done, which to the point is that nintendo werent the first to do this sort of game, open world, cartoon theme.

Its like saying Breath of the Wild is inspired by and based on Skyrim......

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I maybe will buy this for my next PS5 system. Look like more new games are going toward new consoles than old consoles.

No PS4 support then I would have force to buy PS5 console but I'm still waiting for upgraded PS5 console next few years. I guess PS5 console would maybe be my last to buy it. If PS6 or later then I will drop support or quit Sony and use computer more often for gaming instead. I dislike Steam due to DRM. I'm big fans of GOG due to no DRM means no internet required is my favorite. I will keep my PS4 for old PS4 games and DVD/Blu-ray disc for to watch movies anytime I like to.

Last edited by console,

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, its upto Tiny Roar to set up its own store, thats completely different if someone writes a news article about its game to publish to their store.

Together with developer Tiny Roar we have today unveiled the latest title to join our roster.

Its an article written by steam on behalf of Tiny Roar, so the editor who wrote this is one of those folks that seem to think its zelda inspired or zelda like, just because it shares something similar to what nintendo have done, which to the point is that nintendo werent the first to do this sort of game, open world, cartoon theme.

Did you watch the trailer? The main character gets awoken by a flying sphere that gave a tour of the game. Then proceeds to show the character pulling a sword out of a thing (which they intentionally included in this trailer, all of this.) i saw a hook shot as well.

These next comments are not intended to start a flame war ( if that's still a thing).

But you're coming in at this angle that people are being jerks about this game because they think the game publishers are ripping off zelda and won't try it in some kind of blind allegiance to a popular game franchise.

But to deny that game is not a one to one zelda clone a kin to a cheap rom hack you find in those super packs you are either delusional or have stock in xel. Which the member at the top of page made a funny observation that the only other game they made was a cheap bomberman clone.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you watch the trailer? The main character gets awoken by a flying sphere that gave a tour of the game. Then proceeds to show the character pulling a sword out of a thing (which they intentionally included in this trailer, all of this.) i saw a hook shot as well.

These next comments are not intended to start a flame war ( if that's still a thing).

But you're coming in at this angle that people are being jerks about this game because they think the game publishers are ripping off zelda and won't try it in some kind of blind allegiance to a popular game franchise.

But to deny that game is not a one to one zelda clone a kin to a cheap rom hack you find in those super packs you are either delusional or have stock in xel. Which the member at the top of page made a funny observation that the only other game they made was a cheap bomberman clone.
This here is a prime example of how nintendo fans take something and go completely off topic on a tantrum because someone has mentioned nintendo and pointing out just because another title looks similar, doesnt mean its inspired by or is a copy of, adding that nintendo were not the ones who invented this style of game/gameplay.

zelda is not the only game in which the character may awaken from what ever and for what ever reason
as for the sword in the stone, well if you want to be that picky, nintendo did not invent the concept of a sword in a stone either.

as for the rest, at no point have i said anything towards what nonesense you just spat out, i am not coming at any angle and classing people as jerks because game publishers are ripping off zelda..... ill try put in lamest terms for you what i actually said.

just because this game has a cartoon style and looks to be open world adventure, does not mean its copying off or inspired by zelda, then stated that nintendo did not invent this style of gameplay.

now i have no idea what your blabbering on about about been a one to one zelda clone, what the hell? so if we ever see an open world like adventure game using a cartoon style theme - your saying its a one to one xelda clone?

please try not to get upset when someone simply says just because its similar does not mean its copying off nintendo, as my last comment pointed out, breath of the wild, using your logic then its a clone of skyrim?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Dude what is your problem Assemble Entertainment and developer Tiny Roar said it was Zelda Inspired on the official press release. See below plus here is a link to the actual press release.

Screenshot_20210824-171125_Gallery.jpg

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...XEL_Announced_for_PC_and_Consoles_in_2022.php

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Why are you only looking at the announcement news article linked in the store page, but not the store page itself?

The store page about is definitely written by them and it mentions what you think isn't:

IMG_20210824_214534.jpg

And like Prans mentioned, it's also literally in the trailer's description as well.

There's no doubt about it at this point, you're really grasping here.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude what is your problem Assemble Entertainment and developer Tiny Roar said it was Zelda Inspired on the official press release. See below plus here is a link to the actual press release.

View attachment 273883

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...XEL_Announced_for_PC_and_Consoles_in_2022.php
that is an article written by an editor on behalf of the game, it is not the game devs, Mark Allen
Mark Allen PR Ltd on behalf of Assemble Entertainment.

He has taken the press release and then wrote up an article, he then mentions its similar to zelda, that been the whole point of my post, just because it looks like it, its like saying breath of the wild is a clone of skyrim.

nintendo were not the first to make this style of gameplay, so why is it when others do one, its always a clone or trying to copy off nintendo.

Last edited by Spider_Man,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
that is an article written by an editor on behalf of the game, it is not the game devs, Mark Allen
Mark Allen PR Ltd on behalf of Assemble Entertainment.

He has taken the press release and then wrote up an article, he then mentions its similar to zelda, that been the whole point of my post, just because it looks like it, its like saying breath of the wild is a clone of skyrim.

nintendo were not the first to make this style of gameplay, so why is it when others do one, its always a clone or trying to copy off nintendo.

You probably really wanted to make it a point to argue on people calling other games Nintendo inspired, but you chose probably the worst example to do so...

Since you're so hellbent on saying everything mentioned so far isn't the devs themselves, here's their own Instagram page:

IMG_20210824_215201.jpg

See the #zelda hashtag? Yeah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol