Gaming Zelda!!! I need your help.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,205
  • Replies 21
D

Deleted User

OP
Well i'm looking for the best Zelda game for the Ds in you eyes because my mom is gonna let me buy one game for the Ds and im going with Zelda. Any other games can be added too.
And also a good final fantasy choice would be nice to.

ivobhz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
there are 2 zelda games for the DS, LoZ Phantom Hourglass and LoZ Spirit Tracks. ST is the most recent, and IMO the best of the two, so get Spirit Tracks.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wllmrly said:
any advice about final fantasy?
I really liked Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates and Final Fantasy III for the DS. Didn't play many of the others for the DS though, Revenant Wings wasn't very good IMO and Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time paled in comparison to Ring of Fates.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wllmrly said:
any advice about final fantasy?

My recommendation is to play the older ones. (Final Fantasy 3 in particular)

But you're sure to get differing opinions about this.

Stay away from Revenant Wings

Skyline's recommendations are also good.

D

Deleted User

OP
Okay can you tell me why you don't like Revenant Wings and i also have a playstation should i start there and work my way up because i think i heard about final fantasy being on there

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh crap, I completely forgot about the best FF game ever!
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 !

With FF games you don't have to start from the beginning. Many/most of them are stand-alone games, and there are four or five totally different "types" of Final Fantasy game.
I'm a fan of the old-school turn-based strategy, and tactical games,
(even though Revenant Wings is a "tactical" game, it's confusing and hard to play on such a small screen)

Further Reading

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wllmrly said:
Okay can you tell me why you don't like Revenant Wings and i also have a playstation should i start there and work my way up because i think i heard about final fantasy being on there
Revenant Wings is another entirely touch-controlled game which tries to be a RTS game... honestly, neither of those parts are done well. It also continues the story of Final Fantasy XII, which I didn't particularly like.
As for a PlayStation, get Final Fantasy VII, it's definitely the best one in terms of storyline. Final Fantasy VIII, IX, and X are also very solid games.

QUOTE(Vulpes Abnocto @ Jun 14 2011, 08:10 PM) Oh crap, I completely forgot about the best FF game ever!
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 !

With FF games you don't have to start from the beginning. Many/most of them are stand-alone games, and there are four or five totally different "types" of Final Fantasy game.
I'm a fan of the old-school turn-based strategy, and tactical games,
(even though Revenant Wings is a "tactical" game, it's confusing and hard to play on such a small screen)

Further Reading
This man speaks the truth, Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift is an amazing game with an actually good storyline for a strategy RPG.

And yes, the storylines for most are completely different (Final Fantasy VII has NOTHING to do with Final Fantasy VIII, etc). However, some Final Fantasy titles such as Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 do share a common storyline.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Phantom Hourglass is better. The boat is more fun to handle than the train, and I found the dungeons to be more fun. Being fully touchscreen controlled was a major downer for both though. They would have played substantially better with button controls instead. Regardless, Phantom Hourglass is fun to play through at least once.

Really, Spirit Tracks just feels like a kind of poor copy of Phantom Hourglass, just with a crappy train rather then a somewhat bearable boat.

Final Fantasy games on the DS, a breakdown.

- Final Fantasy III - I, personally, did not like this game much. It is really old school, and fairly unforgiving. It tries to make you get to know the characters, which doesn't work, and you have to level grind, a lot. I wasn't a big fan of the job system either. If that's the kind of RPG you're into, be sure to pick it up. Really though, it wasn't worth the $35 price tag when it was released.

- Final Fantasy IV - The DS version is one of the worst versions you can get. The art style they chose for it completely destroyed the old school feel of the game, and took something away from one of the best RPG's I've ever played. I would avoid this completely and pick up the GBA version for a solid handheld FFIV adventure (provided you don't own a PSP, which has the absolute best version of FFIV available on it).

- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (both games) - They are widely regarded as not being very good games. Some people really like them, most get bored and tired of the flaws. I don't personally think these are worth a purchase at all. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant (sp?) Wings - This game actually does a fairly good job with what it tries to do. I personally didn't play more than two or three hours, as it isn't the type of game that keeps me going, but the mechanics and everything about it were solid. If you have a flash cart, I find this one to be a necessary try before you buy game. It is a very love or hate type of experience.

- Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - I won't lie, I can't get into tactical RPG's. The entire grid system just feels beyond tedious to me. Beyond that, I was actually able to have a solid amount of fun with this. That's something I can't say about any other tactical RPG I have ever played. This thing is fairly phenomenal, appealing to fans and non-fans alike.

For Playstation 1 (PS1/PSX):

Final Fantasy VII - IX are all great to play at least once. IX is easily the best out of all of them, boasting what is actually a fairly good story, likeable characters, and great gameplay. It is underrated among all the other FF games, when really, it is my third favorite just after VI and IV. VIII uses an interesting system that I found bearable enough. It creates many different play styles and an easier way to generate new, more challenging plays every time. VII is just kind of that RPG you should play at least once. It is easily the most overrated of any Final Fantasy game ever made, but it is fun to play.

You can play most of the FF games on PSX due to a plethora of ports available from the S/NES era, but all except for V and VI have had a somewhat recent remake of some kind. I believe that FF III is the only FF game that you can't pick up some kind of version of on PSX due to not receiving an English release until the days of the DS.

Just beware, FF games for PSX can either be really spendy, or fairly inexpensive. Shop around for the best prices, as some people think their older games are worth far more than they actually are.

shaosam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The World Ends With You is universally considered one of the very best RPGs on the DS (which has 3 billion RPGs).

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
shaosam said:
The World Ends With You is universally considered one of the very best RPGs on the DS (which has 3 billion RPGs).

It simply has a cult following. I, among many others, couldn't even begin to get into it.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA ON THE NINTENDO DS:
-----The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The touch screen controls aren't praised, but they're enjoyable and easy-to-use. The boat isn't too fun to control, and you'll end up waiting minutes upon minutes of looking at the sea and the air until you get to your next destination.
-----The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Again, the touch screen controls aren't praised, but are enjoyable and easy to use. The most difficult part may be the Spirit Flute, though I had no trouble using it. The train is essentially the same as the boat from Phantom Hourglass, but there's much more to look at this time around.

FINAL FANTASY ON THE NINTENDO DS:
-----Final Fantasy III DS - An enhanced remake of FFIII for the NES (it wasn't released in the US). It has those old-school gameplay mechanics that make the older Final Fantasy games classic. The job system is quite nice, but a lot of grinding will be required if you want to beat the game.
-----Final Fantasy IV DS - An enhanced remake of FFII for the SNES. It's not as good as the other enhanced remakes of this game. More old-school gameplay mechanics. The story's quite deep. If you don't have a PSP or any way to play GBA games, then go for this. It's worth it ONLY if you can't play the other remakes. If you can, go for a different version.
-----Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - The sequel to FFXII for the PS2. Requires little knowledge of FFXII to play and understand the story, as this game is mostly stand-alone. The gameplay is mostly touch-screen based real-time strategy, and it's really enjoyable. The story is top notch, as well.
-----Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - The prequel to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. Requires no knowledge of Crystal Chronicles to play the game. The AI is crap and the multiplayer is local-only. The story, however, is very nice, if a little stereotypical.
-----Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time - The sequel to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. Requires no knowledge of Crystal Chronicles to play the game. The AI is, like in Ring of Fates, crap. The multiplayer is great. The story is also nice, but again, very stereotypical. This game is also on the Wii.
-----Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - An old-style Final Fantasy game with cutesy graphics. The story is great and the battle mechanics are pretty nice. There's a good deal of different classes to unlock and appears to be quite a long game.
-----Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - The sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. A strategy game not unlike Fire Emblem. Has a few tedious gimmicks and the story is much like the story of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Fun, though.

I would actually recommend Okamiden over anything else in this post, though.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Okamiden was epic amounts of not good. Outside of being kinda pretty, the game was severely lacking in many important places (you know, like gameplay).

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
In terms of FF, I absolutely DESPISE anything after 7. Considering how great 6 was, you'd think they'd be able to pull it off again. 7 is the beginning of FF's downfall.

For your question, I'd advise 4 for DS or LoZ ST.

Coconut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I have The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, FF revenant wings, FF IV, FFCC Ring of fates, and FFCC Echoes of time, and I like them all =P
But I would say Revenant Wings.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
first off, don't listen to waluigi over there, as everything he says is wrong. ::blows a raspberry at Waluigi::

And do listen to what those that listed the games exhaustively. Though if you DO have a DS or DSL (Meaning GBA slot-2) I would recommend "The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap" over the actual DS Zelda titles. It's still a little short, but the gameplay is SO much better. (IMHO, the best handheld Zelda(s) would be the Oracle titles for the Gameboy Color. )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper