YSMenu Saving Issue

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by bceagles, Aug 26, 2010.

Aug 26, 2010

YSMenu Saving Issue by bceagles at 4:44 AM (1,813 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. bceagles
    OP

Newcomer bceagles Member

United States
    Alright, I've had this problem since about April, right after I downloaded WarioWare DIY.

Because of DIY, and my R4, I got YSMenu because I heard the March 30th release of YSMenu was the only R4 version compatible with DIY.

Now, I have a few questions. Why does my R4 so incompetent at making .sav files?! EVERYTIME I get a new game, it absolutely can not create the save file. This is what it does, actually;

"Would you like to create .sav?", and I say, of course, yeah. When I turn the game off, and turn it on later, the R4 freezes when I move the select bar thing to the game. It freezes on the game before. However, if I go and delete the .sav while keeping my DS on, it will again ask me to create a sav, and when I do, it actually puts me back where I was before! It's like, it creates a bad save that secretly works, and then tells me to create another bad save.

I'm using "R4 Revolution for DS", which I assume is one of the "full working clones", and yes, all my saves are in the same directory as my roms.

This is just beyond me and I have no idea why it does this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Another quick question, though; is there a newer firmware of YSMenu (or a more efficient R4 firmware that works with WarioWare DIY? I love that game.) that would work better?

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I think the problem is due to the very large save size of Wario Ware D.I.Y..

You have two options:
    1). Continue to use YSMenu and add the Save Size info to the SAVLIB.DAT file
    2). Get WoodR4 if you have a Real R4.

If you choose option 1, you can do this in two ways:
    1). NDSSavlibEdit:
    Title: UORE, Fill: FF, Size: 32MB
    Mini-gude here: http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/t.../savlibedit.png
    (You can skip steps 1 and 2, that's for finding the Game ID which is UORE in your case... or UORP for Europe, UROJ for Japan)

2). Hex edit:
    HEX: 55 4F 52 45 FF 40 00 00
    Mini-guide here: http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/t...DSTT/savlib.png
    Just add the hex string to the end or edit the current string (Starts with 55 4F 52 45 or UORE in text)

I would recommend using WoodR4 if you can.
    It's similar to AKAIO in terms of functionality and compatibility, but the default WoodR4 uses .nds.sav for save files, so you'll have to rename your saves. There is a script to rename all .sav to .nds.sav which will make things easier for you.

3. bceagles
    OP

Newcomer bceagles Member

United States
    Alright, I tried the Savlib Edit, but that didn't work. I'm gonna be honest and say I have no idea how to hex edit, so that brings me to WoodR4.

I've skimmed through the WoodR4 thread in this forum, and I read "WarioWare DIY lag problems", but that was for version 1.06. Any way to find out if that still occurs?

Also, I've seen various complaints that some games don't work. Is it like that for YSMenu? Every game I've tried has worked one way or another.

I just wanna know before I take the time to back everything up and get a new firmware.

4. twiztidsinz

United States
    I played WarioWare D.I.Y. on my R4 for a while before my AceKard 2i came in. I don't think I had any problems with it at all.
    WoodR4 1.06 is a pretty old version too, btw. It's up to 1.12.

I still have WWDIY, so I'll try to find my R4 and MicroSD and test it out for you then update this post again.

5. bceagles
    OP

Newcomer bceagles Member

United States
    Alright, thanks. The last time I tried to update my R4, I got three consecutive firmware updates that were in only Spanish and wouldn't load DIY, so I don't think I'm qualified for this anymore~

6. twiztidsinz

United States
    Well I played around a few minutes on my old save without problems.
    Then renamed my save and made a new game. Everything saved fine.

If you don't want to use WoodR4, you can send me your savlib.dat file and I'll update yours with any entries I have that you're missing.

7. bceagles
    OP

Newcomer bceagles Member

United States
    Alright, yeah, I think sending you my savlib would be a better choice, since backing up my current roms would probably wreck the computer I'm using right now [​IMG]

8. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
  9. bceagles
    OP

Newcomer bceagles Member

United States
    See, that's not my issue though.

I've been playing WarioWare DIY since early April with no problems, and I still have no problems.

It's creating normal .sav files in all games since DIY.

10. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    sounds like SD card fragmentation error dude

copy all files off
    format card using SD Panasonic Formatter
    copy files back on

using windows formatter normally is the cause of this

11. mAlvarado

Newcomer mAlvarado Advanced Member

El Salvador
    off topic: can I use "SD Panasonic Formatter" on my kingston mSD?

12. bceagles
    OP

Newcomer bceagles Member

United States
    Wood R4 just fixed everything.

Thanks you guys, now I feel less like I have a mediocre flashcard and more like everything's working as well as possible.