Hacking Youtube videos on r4ds?

digiblaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't actually put any videos on my r4ds at all yet, because I haven't got much to put on it. I was using youtube, and came across several videos that I wanted. Now, I searched for a download button, but couldn't find one. Then, I searched on google and found several video converters to take the URL and make the video file. However, I haven't been able to get any of them to work. First, is it actually possible to play videos from Youtube on the r4? And if it is, could somebody help me to get them to work? All help is much appreciated.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
First you need to download the file, you can search your temp inet files for the .flv file, but I'm not sure the moonshell video converter thingy can convert that as well. Other option is to use the online converter vixy.net and download the movie to a playable format, then convert that with that dpg tools or something from moonshell and play it in moonshell...

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, you can, but it does take some time, because the DS has its own video format, namely .dpg.

I tend to use an online converter to pass from .flv (YT's native format) to .avi or similar and then BatchDPG or DPGTools to do a quick convert to .dpg. You can use Vixy's, found here: http://vixy.net/.

Now, just pop it in your MicroSD card after obtaining the .dpg file, load up Moonshell, and you're good to go.
smile.gif

digiblaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I'm getting BatchDPG now. But how am I supposed to download the video from youtube? I have been using vixy.net, to try and get the file (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0jYbmsbY44) into an .avi format, but after a couple of minutes it still says 'Connecting to the server...'. Is it actually working and I should just be more patient, or should it be finished much quicker than that?

EDIT: Now it just shows an error message: 'Error: Header error.' I'll guess it's not working?

digiblaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm... I found a smallish video to test out the BatchDPG with, but that didn't work either... I left most of the options how they were (width 256, height 144, bitrate 256 etc.) and changed just the input/output files. I went on moonshell and get an error message, I suppose...

'Horizontal sizes other than 256 pixels became unsupported.'

Does anybody know what that means? Especially when the video size was actually 256...

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is how I get Youtube videos:

Copy URL of video into vixy.net
Convert it to .avi
Use DPGTools w/ Moonshell to convert to .dpg
Drag and drop into R4
Boot up Moonshell, and enjoy.
biggrin.gif

For dpgtools, it has to be .avi. Don't know about the others though.

moggymatt

Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
This is (read would be) one of my most wanted DS homebrew programs, an .flv player so you can use firefox plugin to grab the vids, and play them straight with on convertion on my R4. Shame it will never happen, Is the DS to slow to process flash movies? (I didn't think it should be)

oh and the other Homebrew I really want is an Amiga500 emulator (I think the DS could handle it)

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Kurai

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want to download a video off of youtube, this one works all the time 100% http://keepvid.com/
It downloads them in Flsah based, then use the program that someone reccomended called Super Media Converter "http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html"
Then convert it to AVI.
Then convert it with BatchDPG to .dpg.
then put the vid on your R4,
And boom. Easy
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Jokes on you I'm fbi