YouTube game reviewer Videogamedunkey starts his own indie game publishing studio

Jason Gastrow, otherwise known as Videogamedunkey, or just Dunkey, is a YouTuber who talks about and reviews games on his channel. For years, he's covered games both big and small, using his trademark sarcastic humor to build on his career as a game reviewer that has over 7 million subscribers. His latest video was not about a specific game, and instead was an announcement for Dunkey's new independent game publishing label called Bigmode. According to Dunkey, too many good indie games are "getting lost in a sea of mediocrity", and he's tired of just sitting on the sidelines merely reviewing games after they release, and now he wants to be directly involved.

"I am not looking for creative control", Dunkey explains, claiming that he wants to be involved, and for Bigmode to act as a seal of approval. His brand would, in theory, offer developer-friendly contracts, and help promote quality games that have substance, over anything else. Dunkey leverages the fact that he knows what good games are, after years of promoting various indie titles on his channel, such as Undertale, Cuphead, Hades, and others.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish him the best on this but i did NOT like his video announcing it. it seemed like he was hyping himself up waay too much and taking credit for the success of lots of huge indies. (sorry dunkey, undertale still would've taken off without you.) as someone who loves his content, i hope this goes well but my man needs to humble himself a bit

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i wish him the best on this but i did NOT like his video announcing it. it seemed like he was hyping himself up waay too much and taking credit for the success of lots of huge indies. (sorry dunkey, undertale still would've taken off without you.) as someone who loves his content, i hope this goes well but my man needs to humble himself a bit
LMFAO HE SAID UNDERTALE’S SUCCESS WAS BECAUSE OF HIM?

People like him need to disappear. I don’t wish him to be hurt, just to realize how much of a dipshit he is and consider a career in farming or something, far away from people.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
First time I read about this guy, completely unknown for me.

Hope he doesn't follow the line of LRG, that totally sucks and is ruining the gaming experience for many people all over the world.

If he's looking to promote indie games -games in general- they should be made available to the vast majority of gamers all around the globe and not to a very limited quantity of them.

If he achieves something like that, then I'll be glad to support BigMode.

kjaved373

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

People like him need to disappear. I don’t wish him to be hurt, just to realize how much of a dipshit he is and consider a career in farming or something, far away from people.
Maybe I missed that part, but I didn't get that impression from the video. It sounded more like he gets exposure to millions of people (which seems true based on most of videos getting at least 2M views), not games succeed because of him. Not sure how many of those convert to sales though. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think larger indies would go with him though since he's new to the publishing game, but I'm interested to see if he can get some more obscure/small indies more exposure that wouldn't get as much by self-publishing.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
it seemed like he was hyping himself up waay too much
This is definitely true, although if you're starting a new business and trying to get people on board, you don't go, "I kind of helped Undertale reach more people", you go all out, full on, "yeah bro my content is why people even KNOW what Hades is". He has an incredible reach, and I can see why he took that kind of approach in his video, but it does come off as very arrogant and self congratulatory

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is definitely true, although if you're starting a new business and trying to get people on board, you don't go, "I kind of helped Undertale reach more people", you go all out, full on, "yeah bro my content is why people even KNOW what Hades is". He has an incredible reach, and I can see why he took that kind of approach in his video, but it does come off as very arrogant and self congratulatory
I doubt he's the reason Hades is popular. Everyone was going on about it everywhere while I heard not a wink about him.

Reactions: eduall

NewLoveMachine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring his awful takes and massive ego, if he can stay true to just funding the indie devs and not interfering with development that's a great and I hope some good indie developed games come of this.

Nope, it's that you self publish as well. Else it ain't no indie, just a normal game studio.
So Wayforward, a well known indie developer, is actually a normal game studio because Arcsys published River City Girls yet the Shantae games are developed and published Wayforward? :rofl2:

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
ISo Wayforward, a well known indie developer, is actually a normal game studio because Arcsys published River City Girls yet the Shantae games are developed and published Wayforward? :rofl2:
Correct, that is an Indie title. Since they self published it.
I never said they can't be a publisher as well? But a title isn't indie if it got a publisher. Just because it looks "pixel art" doesn't make it an indie game.

Even Valve that publish their own games, is a Indie title. If it's the same company that develop it and publish it, it's a Indie title. Since it have no involvement of a publisher. It's literally the most simple rule.

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Correct, that is an Indie title. Since they self published it.
I never said they can't be a publisher as well? But a title isn't indie if it got a publisher. Just because it looks "pixel art" doesn't make it an indie game.

Even Valve that publish their own games, is a Indie title. If it's the same company that develop it and publish it, it's a Indie title. Since it have no involvement of a publisher. It's literally the most simple rule.
Games where the publisher has minimal input outside of funding and distribution are also considered indie.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

But why? The guy is hilarious, why would you deprive other people from so much fun? Such a joykill!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...