Hardware Your longest lived USB flash drive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Titles, I do like to make good representative ones.

Anyway depending upon the IT type you speak to then USB drives have a limited amount of time they live for. My 64 gig one is at the point where I do not want to rely on it to work when I get somewhere/store something that would be annoying to lose when I got somewhere so I thought I would ask others what their experiences are.

I do also have a 4 gig supposedly kingston one (I have since seen the shell get used by other things) I got in mid 2010 and has been a rock solid workhorse ever since -- documents, small files, drivers, PC fixing tools... the lot. It has been everywhere with me, on planes, on trains, on boats, that one time I got launched into space and in my pocket throughout it all. I had a bunch of them once but sold them, kind of wish I had not now.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I still have a 128 mb flash drive from 2004, it works better than the 16gb flash drives that I got with my laptop in 2010 (which tend to corrupt data really often and I'm actually thinking of tossing them out).

Mr. Sparkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 256mb lexar sport that I just bought. I bought it to deliver the payload to mod original Xboxes. Haven't gotten to use it for that yet because I used a different one first that was newer and 4gb. But it does work, and I believe it's over 10 years old...

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 500MB Lexar Firefly from 2006 or 2007. I still use it, as it has my .txt files where I have certain things listed and documented, also where I save my movie reviews. It also has Kaspersky Rescue Disc, but that was for Windows XP, I don't know if it would work on Windows 10. It takes up the most space.

Last edited by RustInPeace,

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
1GB Kingston from 2005 it think.
This one:
pen-drive-kingston-1gb-poco-uso-ver-605001-MLA20255896371_032015-O.jpg
Works like the first day

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That'd probably be a 512MB SanDisk Cruzer Micro from 2003-2004. It might not store much and it's not too fast, but it still works.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems some of you got in on this flash drive lark quite early. Before about 2009, maybe 2008 it was cheaper around here to buy a SD card and SD card reader (or CD or smart or XD....) so I kind of missed out there.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Seems some of you got in on this flash drive lark quite early. Before about 2009, maybe 2008 it was cheaper around here to buy a SD card and SD card reader (or CD or smart or XD....) so I kind of missed out there.
I never had a CD burner back then so a 512MB USB drive was miles ahead of my old floppy disks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gah typo I meant CF.

But yeah CDs, even rewritables, were a pain so after floppy discs died it was an interesting few years for me for the day to day file transfers. Fortunately I never truly suffered at the hands of zip drives and I mostly only needed to do stuff on local networks/ones I had some kind of FTP into.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 4GB Kingston from 2010 is my current longest lived one I have not lost. Used it for modding my Xbox 360 saves a lot until I misplaced it and used a different one. Found it recently and it works, but now it mostly sits around because of the 128GB PNY USB 3.0 flash drive I keep on my keychain :P

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,
Reactions: VinsCool

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Seeing as it was right next to me I randomly decided to snap a picture of it to commemorate its long term of service. It has long lost its former rubbery cover, and if you look closely you can even see some dents here and there:

IMG_2312.jpg

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as it was right next to me I randomly decided to snap a picture of it to commemorate its long term of service. It has long lost its former rubbery cover, and if you look closely you can even see some dents here and there:

View attachment 30069
Sturdy little guy. Kind of rare to find good ones with a metal casing these days.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I still have a 128 MB Cruzer flashdrive somewhere which was the first flash drive I got. I haven't seen it in ages, but it still worked last time I used it and I doubt it has spontaneously broken since then. It's probably in one of the boxes with my old stuff.
In fact, I don't think a single flashdrive has ever broken on me, though I never did use them heavily because the transfer speeds were much too slow. By the time flash drives started to get faster, my storage needs had outgrown the capacity of USB flash drives and I had moved on to external HDDs. Now I have plenty of SD cards laying around in various form factors so the occasional times I do need a flash drive for something (like reinstalling Windows) I can just stick a SD card in a USB reader and use that.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom