The inadequate, autocratic beast!
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi!

A curious question, what is your favorite DE?
I personally at the moment run KDE Plasma. I used to run GNOME 4.1 until the performance in games started to take a hit.
Budgie is nice looking and Cinnamon I feel is the best for new comers to the Linux Desktop experience.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Main computer:
KDE Plasmashell 5.18.6
The machine is fast and strong enough with enough RAM, so the big desktop environment doesn't affect performance in a negative way. Good customization options and I'm used to it.
InfoCenter.png

All others:
Either Mate, XFCE or LXDE – depending on how powerful the computer is. Preferably Mate if it works fast enough.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

A curious question, what is your favorite DE?
I personally at the moment run KDE Plasma. I used to run GNOME 4.1 until the performance in games started to take a hit.
Budgie is nice looking and Cinnamon I feel is the best for new comers to the Linux Desktop experience.
What performance hit did you experience? I've been going back and forth between Gnome and KDE and have found Gnome to offer the smoothest, consistent experience. Granted, I can't run Wayland yet. So, I don't know if that was part of it or not.

May try KDE again when I move to a larger NVME drive.

EWG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
KDE Plasma by far.
That being said, on occasion I log in to LXQt, Lumina, and recently checked out Trinity (TDE). Lumina's next major version release may be exciting. If they can get some extra development contribution, they want to finish a new window manager and some other stuff. Part of the reason I enjoy these is because they're still Qt based and I can more easily install the core packages and optionally even use Kwin.

Otherwise, I actually use Moksha (fork of Enlightenment 17*). It's interesting, different, lightweight, beautiful, and neither Qt or GTK. But, like I said it's different and doesn't have as big of a community behind it.
What's cool is Budgie is planning on using the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) so we're going to have a wholly different EFL based DE.. eventually! :D

* p.s. E is up to v25 now

BubsyOrange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KDE is my favorite but Cinnamon is probably my second. I wish Gnome worked better but oh well
What irritates me the most about Gnome is the fact that majority of the basic stuff such as a dock, minimize-and-maximize, etc. have to be enabled through Gnome Tweaks and extensions. Theming Gnome practically breaks the DE. But, with Plasma (and pretty much any other DE), I don't have to really worry to much about unneccesary hassles such as those.

Reactions: linuxares

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: