Hacking Homebrew You can mod a PSP using Lumines?

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No he isn't talking out of his ass, the original Lumines UMD has an exploit in the coding that allows you to run homebrew code, thus allowing a downgrader program to be executed.

They patched it for more recent copies of Lumines and more recent firmware releases.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
What's the easiest way of knowing if your copy of Lumines is the older version vs. the newer version?

Look at the spine of the PSP case. At the bottom, the one that's able to modify the PSP says 'ULUS 10002'

I've got an extra copy sitting right here that's never been played
biggrin.gif

puff1983

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, any copy of Lumines can help you downgrade. I used a greatest hits copy to mod my co-workers PSP. I think the PSP has to be on official firmware 3.1 to 3.5 to work but don't take my word for it.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
My electrical lecturer said he modded his PSP with just a copy of Lumines. Is he talking out of his ass?

Nope, and it's pretty easy too:

http://psp.scorpei.com/TBGTPSPHB.html

I've written a guide about which even a newby with 0 experience can follow (I think anyway, gave it to a mate-o-mine who didn't really know much and he was able to downgrade and then get a custom firmware running in no time). This method only works with the regular PSP btw and not with the slim.

Also the custom firmware I provide in the zip file might not be the latest but it works fine for me. I might look into upgrading that bit (upgrading to the latest gratest m33 firmware) but as it isn't needed (not much functionality has been added in newer firmwares) and I have a lot to do I'm not sure when I'll upgrade the zip. The instructions should work fine though whatever firmware you want to install
wink.gif

Quote of the page:
psp.scorpei.comThis is my Beginners Guide To Sony PSP homebrew. I try to aim at people new to the scene, covering from box to play. This means that even if you haven't handled your PSP before and only just received it following this guide you should be able to get homebrew running without problems. I also provide a zip file with most files prepared AND examples of several homebrew applications including things ready to play.

Though I do not get to technical (as that would most probably confuse readers), my guide is a nice step up for starting out. Once you have read my guide and understand it well, you've mastered the basics and are left with a nice custom firmware PSP.

Please note, although the zip file is 100megabytes big it is needed for the guide. If you do not download it you will have to download all files included manually anyway (resulting in around the same amount of data you have to download) and have to run through several extra steps which I have already done for you (copy and rename files to the downgrader / 3.52 install, etc.). So just download it
wink.gif

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks Scorpei but I don't wanna dl a 100mb file just to read the modding process. If I owned a PSP then sure... I gotta quick question: for my cousins PSP, do they need any additional hardware, just the game and the PSP?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks Scorpei but I don't wanna dl a 100mb file just to read the modding process. If I owned a PSP then sure... I gotta quick question: for my cousins PSP, do they need any additional hardware, just the game and the PSP?
Haha, don't worry the guide itself isn't so big
wink.gif
. The 100 megs is just the files which you need for the downgrade. The guide itself is in a nice and small (3.5 megabytes) pdf file (you would have seen that if you would have opened the page
rolleyes.gif
).

mattchase00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just used your tutorial scorpei, just got to say it was very easy to follow and im enjoying playing my nintendo games on psp, ah the bigger screen!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: