YLOD :(

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Teep, Sep 7, 2010.

Sep 7, 2010

YLOD :( by Teep at 7:40 PM (2,172 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Teep
    OP

Member Teep GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So... my PS3 got a YLOD. From what I gather there are 3 different types - power supply issues, blu-ray drive issues and motherboard issues. The third one being fixable via reflowing. Now, I got the identical symptoms as gilksy in the video, except that sometimes the console won't even try to eject the disc, it just gives me 3 beeps when pressing eject, the light doesn't even flash afterwards. If I try to boot it up afterwards, then it tries ejecting the disc and the same thing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    When was your PS3 made; year?

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I've repaired mine by reflowing. Worked wonders for two months, then died again. Currently too lazy to dismount my PS3 again.

And mine did exactly the same thing as yours, no disc ejecting, and (iirc) 3 beeps.

Be aware that this is not an easy operation. If you don't have good expertise in these things, you just risk up destroying the odious micro-ribbon connectors or even worse frying up the entire motherboard trying to reflow it [​IMG]

4. Teep
    OP

United States
    I'm not worried about that, I've done a lot of similar stuff in the past, but I was wondering if there's any distinction between the types of YLOD's... Also, are there any stories of reflowing being a permanent fix, or at least working for more than a year? I bought this second hand and I'd really much like to play it for at least a year before having to cash out for a brand new slim edition.

5. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    It depends. If you use flux it and re-apply some decent thermal paste on too then it might last longer, but you'll just have to try. There are loads of guides on YouTube.

6. raulpica

Italy
    Actually, I don't see how you can apply flux when reflowing a BGA soldering without removing anything [​IMG] And you need expensive equipment to desolder completely BGA.

7. Teep
    OP

United States
    Another thing I noticed - when I plug in the power cord and turn on the unit, after a few seconds I get a very weak burning scent... could it be that it's the PSU rather than the mobo and that I'll have a working unit once that is replaced / fixed?

8. raulpica

Italy
    I don't know the cause, but I can assure you that the burning scent isn't a good sign! [​IMG]

Sadly, YLOD is just a generic hardware error display. As for RROD on a 360, there can be different causes behind one (on a 360 you can get the secondary error code, which helps a bit, though [​IMG]).

It could be practically everything. I'm just going by the fact that the most common cause for a YLOD is a BGA soldering which has went awry. Obviously, there's no certainty behind this affirmation, for this specific case.

I'd advise you to open the PS3 and check if there is some damage on the PSU, before buying one, as I fear they don't come cheap (if you find one for $10, well, then that's worth a try).

9. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    - Dismantle
    - Use flux (the good kind from ebay)
    - Reflow (practice on something else before you attempt this, put it on some solder for example to measure time)
    - Use arctic Silver 5 (proper, watch videos please)

Did it once on my 60GB one year ago and it is still going strong. If you do it right you don't have to open it up again, it's much quieter too now and doesn't kick in the third stage fan until half hour in a game. I don't think mine will die again but if it does I'm gonna reball it with lead free solder.

10. raulpica

Italy
    I still can't see how Flux can help without first removing the BGA soldering. And you actually need a BGA rework station for that.

BTW, RoHS-compliant [lead free] solder is actually a lot more prone than the leaded-one quality to breaking.

11. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Yeah, I meant leaded solder. Typo

About the flux, if you see it disappearing from the sides of the bga it means it's being sucked in by the soldering which is a good sign from what I have experienced. So I guess it works just fine without removing it

12. Teep
    OP

United States
    The more I think about it the more I consider reballing to be a better solution right away. What do you guys think?

13. raulpica

Italy
    Yeah, if done correctly, reballing can be a most definitive solution to these problems. Obviously, you have to use high-quality solder balls, and a good BGA reflowing station.

14. Teep
    OP

United States
    Well, apparently the fix here in the local sony service is cheaper than what I've heard on the internet... I suppose I should go with that as they also said they provide "protection" from it happening again.

15. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They sell non corrosive flux, you also want one for lead free solder, that is if ps3 uses lead free solder. Im not positive if it does, I guess it does tho.

16. raulpica

Italy
    If you don't have the necessary equipment (a hot air gun, a BGA rework station or whatever), then that might be more convenient for you, and most certainly a lot more resistant than whatever home-made solution you could come up with! [​IMG]