YLOD reflow botched. any other options?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by cefca, Dec 5, 2013.

1. cefca
    OP

cefca Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2006
    United States
    i have a 60gb phat unit that previously had a ylod but tried to apply a second reflow and for some reason the unit won't power up. i don't think i did anything extreme because i barely put the heat gun to the gpu.

i tried to reassemble it and it no longer powers up. i'm thinking something isn't connected completely but i'm under the impression that it still works but most places that fix this won't bother touching systems that have been tampered with like mine.

does anyone know if theres a website or someone around NJ/NY area who will touch my system and actually know what they're doing (professional equipment wise)

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Reflow NEVER fixes YLOD. Each time you reflow you put thermal stress on ball solders until they no longer works. The idea of reflow stems from people baking failed GPU which is also a false method. Baking GPU never fixes the problem, only temporary relives the problem.

Only reball fixes YLOD. Reball as in desolder CELL/RSX chips, clean up old solders, and use new ball solders to put both chips back.

Reball is an expensive procedure. Someone on ebay is charging $100 for RSX chip reball only. I know local shop will charge more than $200 to reball PS3.

Bobbybangin likes this.
  3. cefca
    OP

cefca Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2006
    United States
    yeah, i saw some ebay listings but i'm not sure the integrity of some of the technicians. i guess i'll take a chance on one....thanks anyhow

4. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
  5. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Just let them Trumpet.
    They HOPEFULLY realize after 6 reflows that a reball is a far better solution.
    After that, they could've reballed their console twice.
    Maybe even get a whole new PS3 all together.