Hardware YLOD reflow botched. any other options?

cefca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a 60gb phat unit that previously had a ylod but tried to apply a second reflow and for some reason the unit won't power up. i don't think i did anything extreme because i barely put the heat gun to the gpu.

i tried to reassemble it and it no longer powers up. i'm thinking something isn't connected completely but i'm under the impression that it still works but most places that fix this won't bother touching systems that have been tampered with like mine.

does anyone know if theres a website or someone around NJ/NY area who will touch my system and actually know what they're doing (professional equipment wise)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Reflow NEVER fixes YLOD. Each time you reflow you put thermal stress on ball solders until they no longer works. The idea of reflow stems from people baking failed GPU which is also a false method. Baking GPU never fixes the problem, only temporary relives the problem.

Only reball fixes YLOD. Reball as in desolder CELL/RSX chips, clean up old solders, and use new ball solders to put both chips back.

Reball is an expensive procedure. Someone on ebay is charging $100 for RSX chip reball only. I know local shop will charge more than $200 to reball PS3.

Reactions: Bobbybangin

cefca

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i saw some ebay listings but i'm not sure the integrity of some of the technicians. i guess i'll take a chance on one....thanks anyhow

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just let them Trumpet.
They HOPEFULLY realize after 6 reflows that a reball is a far better solution.
After that, they could've reballed their console twice.
Maybe even get a whole new PS3 all together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr