Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The slim has this too but the moment you use a memory card with the slim the intern storage isn't available anymore.
Probably the same with the PSTV?
So i have to remove the memory card to use internal storage? That sounds silly. There should been a way to combine them as one partition or least have access to both at same time. Why would they include 2 storage units and only one can be used at a time?

I guess is for people who only buy game cards with no memory card, to save data for it. Only thing that make sense.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And so I was right. This is a kernel exploit. Jokes on people few pages back who acted superior because they think they know it all. :)

Looking forward to emulators and piracy if and when it becomes available.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Henkaku doesn't support the Internal Storage. You need a mem card.

Well very seriously: It's not possible.

IMPORTANT

AT THIS VERY MOMENT, HENKAKU DOESN'T SUPPORT PSP AND PSX EMULATION.
IT'S UNCERTAIN WHETHER IT WILL DO SO IN THE FUTURE.
OKAY, thanks, but at least can i use emulators with this hack? neither vhbl works with HENKAKU?

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So i have to remove the memory card to use internal storage? That sounds silly. There should been a way to combine them as one partition or least have access to both at same time. Why would they include 2 storage units and only one can be used at a time?

Well that's the way it is. The question really is: Why would you want to use 1 poor GB internal storage anyways? Not much you can do with that in the first place.

faster7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watching this space closely. Will buy a Vita maybe this Black Friday. Probably the last time it goes on sale before it is discontinued.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

These confused alot of people... Maybe for people who would say 'Hey I have 500MB intern and 500MB on a card, why can't I download these 700MB game?' (<- nightmare to support)

Well that's the way it is. The question really is: Why would you want to use 1 poor GB internal storage anyways? Not much you can do with that in the first place.

Would have been nice for all savegames (PSP and physical vita)

Last edited by VitaType,

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OKAY, thanks, but at least can i use emulators with this hack? neither vhbl works with HENKAKU?

I updated my post. VHBL works. check it out.

And so I was right. This is a kernel exploit. Jokes on people few pages back who acted superior because they think they know it all. :)

Actually this is NOT a kernel exploit. It grants us writing and read rights, but a kernel exploit goes beyond that.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Saying things like "Looking forward to piracy" will not make people want to do it, in fact maybe not want to do it at all. Then where is your piracy when you was hoping for it? Is called "Back ups"

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These confused alot of people... Maybe for people who would say 'Hey I have 500MB intern and 500MB on a card, why can't I download these 700MB game?' (<- nightmare to support)
I guess is for people who only buy game cards with no memory card, to save data for it. Only thing that make sense.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yifan is definitely anti piracy, but that still does not make piracy inevitable, whether measures were set or not.

And backups is a polite way of saying I pirate, but there's no need for formalities or lies.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The Vita suicided. If anything this might revitalize it. Not that it's gonna.

And no, the homebrew scene is essentially non existent for the Vita, no way in hell is that the cause of them dropping the Vita. They drop the Vita cause they just don't care about it, and never did.
It's going to "Rejuvenate" it? :D

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yifan is definitely anti piracy, but that still does not make piracy inevitable, whether measures were set or not.

And backups is a polite way of saying I pirate, but there's no need for formalities or lies.

I agree with you but since it wasn't designed to work this way, it will take one really skilled hacker and a reasonable amount of time till this actually will happen.
So people shouldn't expect that this will happen anytime soon. Although it might happen eventually.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many tries does it take to work? I keep getting errors.
L-O-T-S.... Sometimes once.... is very random. Just don't turn system off once you do it or you have to do it again.

Is a browser exploit, Most if not all have some flaws, just like the system your using it on :P

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

ayy lmao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L-O-T-S.... Sometimes once.... is very random. Just don't turn system off once you do it or you have to do it again.

Is a browser exploit, Most if not all have some flaws, just like the system your using it on :P
How do I fix it? I keep hearing to either reboot or rebuild the system.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Yifan there is a way that hekaku will run offline eventually. But again: not anytime soon.
Cool, i had originally thought that the whitelist mehtod for psvita games could work on this. But i doubt it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How do I fix it? I keep hearing to either reboot or rebuild the system.
Try reboots. It works sometimes, that all i can tell you. :mellow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Then it dropped sometime in 2022, 2021 was when it really went up in price.