Hacking Yet another Semi-Brick...

Senor Afro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, long story short - I was given a modded Wii from a friend - looks like it has a modchip as he had a number of burnt games with it -Looks like he performed a system update using Wii Fit AU - when in fact the Wii is JPN - so now System Menu simply displays Opera Browser error that the page cannot be found.

Not sure which chip or what degree of IOS patching has been done.

Homebrew is installed, but looks like a really old version (Beta 7?) - attempt to rerun LetterBomb said that it could not be done as the wii had to be unpatched???

All I really need is to install WiiMC (which gives me an IOS58 error) and get it connected on Wifi (which i cant without system menu) - but of course having full functionality would be great.

I have run letterbomb on other Wii's before, and installed USBLoader and stuff - so I'm more than comfortable running through troubleshooting etc. to get this sorted.

Did some reading and found recommendations of installing System Menu 4.3J on it to at least get my sys menu back - but dont wont to cause further harm by rushing in...can you guys help me get this up and running again?

Senor Afro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
HBC is an installed channel - unfortunately bootmii does not load...

I did abit more googling and found mauifrog's semi-brick fix here:
http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii...brick-system-settings-locked-opera-error.html

Ran into some trouble finding his particular MultiMod Manager downloads - but eventually got them - ran through his instructions and it looks like it is all ok -I am still playing around with it to make sure it is all working - so far connecting to wifi is giving me error 51331

Also found out that although it is a Japanese Wii (confirmed by checking sticker at bottom of console - yep - definitely written in Japanese) - it is in fact running USA Settings Menu...

Found this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-change-the-system-menu-region-for-your-wii.170971/

and will hopefully have it set to AU in no time

still concerned about the wifi error i am getting as I am 110% sure i did not enter the password wrong...will keep you updated - thanks for the help PsyBlade

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if you reinstalled sysmenu (idk) it should be gone already
but check for a priiloader / preloader install anyway (hold reset on boot iirc)
might be theres a hack for it that can disable wifi

Senor Afro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes i did manage to reinstall system menu 4.1U

I checked for priiloader before trying mauifrog's tut - managed to install priiloader and finally got a NAND backup

My wifi issue was solely network related - needed wifi to be mixed b and g and it worked fine

woot woot

thanks for the help PsyBlade - looks like its all sorted now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu