Yet another pokemon HG/SS topic

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by foodmaniac, Oct 6, 2009.

Oct 6, 2009
  1. foodmaniac
    OP

Newcomer foodmaniac Member

Australia
    Hi all. I know there are about 1000 topics about a HG/SS patch but now I seriously don't know which patch to download anymore.
    I have an R4 card and am playing HG version, but I get a black (or even white :wtf:) screen of death even now and then. I was wondering if there was a specific patch for an R4. I have tried to use Rudolph's patch, but it doesn't seem to work. It says something like "can't find an original Pokemon HG/SS nds file", even though I put the rom in the same folder and right before the error message comes up, there is a .bak file that is made. And I am also pretty sure that my rom is "clean", as i kept the .rar file as a backup, and tried extracting it again.

Thanks in advance!

2. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You're not the only one. I'm getting frustrated with the variety here myself. Normally choice is a good thing, but I think this is one of those cases where there are so many choices that things are becoming counterproductive. If everyone just joined together and made a unified patch, I think it would probably be or almost be completed.

I think the black screens are a result of an anti-pirating check. There are action replay codes to disable them, but I don't know much more than that because I use a CycloDS.

3. Shadz

Member Shadz GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Too many choices of translations, but they all seem to cover the same thing....

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Magnius's Pokemon Soul Silver Translation -or-
    Kazo's Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver Translation

5. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yeah, those are the only good ones out there.

If you don't see their names on a translation patch, then you're looking at a fail translation. Avoid them at all costs!

6. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    If you want a funny patch try Yaymii's

7. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    You need to update your Firmware to the 1.56Beta 3, or what ever the newest is. It fixes the need for anti Piracy patches on HG/SS.

8. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I know. That's what I have done. I was just telling him what I know about bypassing it if you don't have a CycloDS.

9. foodmaniac
    OP

Australia
    Actually I'm not looking for a translation patch. I want to see how different Pokemon is between the English version and Japanese version. Also, I want to know whether or not I've learnt anything practical in Japanese classes at school.

Can anyone link me to a patch that doesn't translate and is compatible for R4s?

10. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
  11. foodmaniac
    OP

Australia
    ^ I suppose I could try using Rudolph's patch again....It didn't work last time I used it. I'll try it tonight, since my brother has the DS for the day.

By the way, that link is broken. I got the following message:

Unfortunately, the link you have clicked is not available.
    Reasons for this may include:
    - Invalid link
    - The file has been deleted because it was violating our Terms of service.

Is there another link? I tried downloading it from here before, but it didn't seem to work. It said something about not being able to find a HG/SS nds file but....Ah I already mentioned this in the first post....

12. foodmaniac
    OP

Australia
    Bump...? Am I allowed to do that on this site?

Anyway, I could really use some help. I really want to play this before my school holidays end, which is next Sunday >_>

13. foodmaniac
    OP

Australia
    Okay, will someone please help me out? I looked around for answers, and found three solutions. None of which have worked.

1) Use Rudolph's patch. I've said twice now that it doesn't work, unless someone has a link to it that is not the megaupload link, or the link I posted two comments ago.

2) Use this patch (which is in Chinese!). I followed the instructions, and it didn't fix anything.

3) Download the new firmware for R4 (version 1.23). I tried this just then and got a freeze.

And no, I refuse to use a translating patch. I actually want to play it in Japanese.

14. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    you might try this, on another website (romsite)(this isn't a rom either) it says this will prevent the Heart Gold freezes on r4.
    I don't believe it is a translation, but not sure 100%

EDIT: Get a fresh rom

15. klight18

Newcomer klight18 Advanced Member

United States
    Magnius's (WataruKun's) Soul Silver patch would be the best. he will be releasing a Heart Gold Patch

16. onivan

Member onivan GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Not another translation, can this thread be killed? [​IMG]

17. foodmaniac
    OP

Australia
    @ Sterl500: I downloaded it just then, it turns out that both the patches are translating patches, which I don't want.

@ klight18: See above.

Sorry if I'm a little too picky, but I just wanted see how Pokemon works when it isn't localised.

18. nadoon

Banned nadoon Banned

United Arab Emirates
    I really don't know.... Sorry [​IMG] Anyway, what I'm doing? I'm waiting for the US version of the game then I'm gonna get a patch for THAT. Because, I agree with you. I like the original text in a game, not a custom made one.

19. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yeah..... don't post roms.