Hacking yet another cIOS

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a modification of Hermes' latest cIOS installer I just cooked up. The reason behind this is that using IOS 222/223 to try to remove certain files from the nand results in an error. I have added patches from trucha bug restorer to allow it to delete stuff. Also, I have added a bigger selection of installation options. You can install this at any of the normal cIOS places, as well as use a IOS slot & version that nintendo is using for stubs. With this in place, it hopefully will survive an update, as the system menu will think that it is already stubbed and not bother to overwrite it. And you can use it to restore whatever needs to be restored after the update.

I recommend letting it install in 222 or 223 because it is most like those and will cause little to no confusion with apps written to be used with those, but as a lot of apps default to 249/250, I have made that an option. but any app trying to use this to load games via USB will need to treat it as 222/223 and load the echi module. so you probably will be better off just using one of those spots, since everything is already loading the module when using that IOS.

I have tested out the installing from NUS and SD as well as installing it to each possible slot and everything worked out fine. But I take no responsibility if you go to install this and your Wii blows up in your face.

EDIT-> removed first test version.

heres one that works. it still has some "check #" throughout the installer, but it works.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
whhaat?
dope!

you should have it on your own slot
biggrin.gif

like IOS420

but what does this NAND permissions allow though?
better game compatibility?

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant delete IOSes with hermes' IOS. or at least I couldnt. this would mean that you couldnt delete a stub with it. I thought about using a certain slot for it, but it seems better to go this route. There are a lot of apps with a hardcoded IOS to use, so those apps would need to be recompiled to get the benefit. The user can just use the stub location as my own special slot if they dont want to overwrite what they already have.

as far as compatibility, I havent tried to play a game yet that hermes' stuff wouldnt play. so this should have the same. for the most part, it is 38 (or whichever IOS you choose to merge with). and if you do the merge shit, it just takes 2 modules from 38 and puts them in the IOS you choose to merge.

mariomaniac33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
biggrin.gif

like IOS420
Dude, no offense, but the Wii can't count that high
wink2.gif
. It can only count one byte in hexadecimal aka FF. FF = 255 in decimal hence why no IOS has counted higher than that.

Nintendo limited themselves in this sense when they designed the Wii.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by the time they get to 255, 90% will be stubbed officially and people will be pirating games for the Wii 3.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well they are not limited, they can always end up using 10, 20, 30 again and so on...

ps: probably will not happen, say for every three months they released an update and that update required a new menu ios... it makes the current IOS 70 go up to IOS 150 in two years... probably they will not bother to release updates that often by that time...

PhyniX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
xzxero said:
whhaat?
dope!

biggrin.gif

like IOS420

but what does this NAND permissions allow though?
better game compatibility?
IOS 255 is the last ios what you can use

Can we have the source code from this tool ?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The installer won't work for me... When I select an IOS from the IOS selection screen, it just freezes up as if a stub IOS was loaded.

Using HBC 1.0.6 (which uses IOS36 v1042). Tried telling the installer to use IOS36 and IOS249.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only thing that happens between the IOS select screen and the next one is that it reloads the IOS (which it identical to the original code) and it mounts the sd card. i didnt feel like adding the entire fatmounting code from other projects, so i just made a simple 1 line. It could be that it chokes on this when it gets to your sd card. you can try taking it out before you select what IOS to use.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm able to choose a slot to install the IOS at (i.e.- install to IOS222). However, after selecting any option on the "Select IOS Base" screen, it freezes. (The Wii Remote is still on though.)

This is for both flavors.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have any USB drive or anything else connected to the wii? try it with just a wii and a wiimote and see if it works. (no usb, GC, memory cards, ect)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I get the same freeze on both flavours as well. Nothing was connected, except the Wii remote.
tongue.gif

Is the source available for Hermes' later installers? I know for a fact his v4 installer works for me. I don't believe I was ever able to get his older CIOSes to install on my Wii.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
do you have any USB drive or anything else connected to the wii? try it with just a wii and a wiimote and see if it works. (no usb, GC, memory cards, ect)
Nothing was connected. No USB devices, no GameCube stuff, nothing on the controller...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended