Hacking Xvid4psp

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I love this program, it convert all my files perfecltly, but there is one problem.

I want to convert a TV serie dvd to Xvid, and i know how to do it, but it doesnt have Subtitles.

I mount the ISO, select the VOB (~1Gb) and convert it. (It plays fine)

The original DVD do have subtitles (I can choose between English,Dutch etc..)

Can i somehow get the episodes + Subs converted to Xvid for my PSP?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sadly the PSP doesn't seem to support "soft subtitles" (i.e. subtitles that can be enabled/disabled on the fly) from my experiences. Your only option AFAIK would be some software that takes a subtitle stream and adds to the actual video ("hard subtitles" i.e. subtitles embedded within each frame). I don't know of any such software off hand, but I would speculate it may require converting twice (first add the subtitles, then convert to PSP). It may be possible to do it all in one step, I am not 100% sure. I will look around and see what I can find.

EDIT: Looks like you can do it with VirtualDub and VobSub. Here's a guide: http://www.my-guides...sing-virtualdub

This will result in an AVI file. You can then convert this using xvid4psp or whatever. I think this is probably the best you can get.

EDIT: A little more research/experimenting shows me that installing VobSub doesn't seem to work on Windows 7 (at least for me and some others). You can use VSFilter instead: http://www.videohelp...er-DirectVobSub - install, then copy vsfilter.dll from the install directory to the VirtualDub "plugins" directory and rename to vsfilter.vdf.

In addition, it doesn't seem to work with VOB files. You might need to convert to some other format first (maybe AVI would work well?), then dub the substitles in, then convert to PSP. Seems like a fairly drawn out process I'm afraid.

EDIT: I'm trying something else, it might work better...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I should also note DVD subtitles are not text but small pictures (hence having to OCR them and them being several megs when you download them) and set to various parts of the screen although the latter should be handled well enough.
To this end be careful when scaling them or the resulting video down for the PSP.

I should also note TV series DVDs can be a pain (especially ones hastily slapped together and needing subs for the Dutch market) and simply ripping a vob might not be ideal. However from what you say it might well be a fairly smart program handling conversion (will parse ifo files and grab any extra vobs before handling sound issues and such) so that is OK.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Found a much better option. Grab Freemake Video Converter from here: http://www.freemake....ideo_converter/

Install it, load it up and then use the +Video button to add your video file (or +DVD for ripping DVDs, but that might need a "helper" program like DVD43 or AnyDVD for encrypted, commercial DVDs - if you're on XP, you're probably on 32 bit, so DVD43 will work for you and is free).

Then select the subtitle stream by clicking the default "Subtitles Off" option shown at the end of the details on the video entry in the list and choose the correct stream (there will be several, to make sure you have the correct one, click the play icon at the right, beside the scissors icon to preview the video (you can also identify the correct audio stream in the same way if there are several).

Next click the "to Sony" button along the bottom. Make sure the "PSP" preset is selected, then click "Convert". The video will be converted with hard subs. It'll use the Xvid codec just like xvid4psp and works all in one step. Results seem good from my quick test.

EDIT: You might want to edit the preset using the gear icon beneath the drop down for choosing the preset, or add a new one with the + button, the default uses what I feel is an unnecessarily high bitrate of 1500 Kbps, although you may disagree.

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you for your research :D Freemake does indeed look simple enough. As soon as i get the oppertunity i will try it out (Should be later today)

I don't dare messing with Presets :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: b