aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
you got a point there linuxraes
my only problem with usb support is that due to the fact that i keep using my switch all the time in handheld mode i can't attach an hdd or usb to it unless someone comes up with a workaround that allows us to connect usbs in handheld mode
Yup, in SX OS I use the USB C to USB A that came with my phone and plug in a USB HDD and it works perfectly. It's an SSD one so there's no external power required.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I may also be making the jump from SXOS to atmos seeing as support from TX seems to be all but gone. This is an awesome option as I normally only instal games since nsps became a thing and xci is useless afaik. All round good stuff and atmosphere has come a long way.

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am on SX pro and I love the fact that I can store my nsp on USB hard drive which I can then install to at card or the switch, means I don’t have to take out the sd card and go to the computer all the time and XCI mounting of USB is the best, for me my switch lives in the dock 99% of the time and to have them just siting there waiting is the best thing I just pick what I want to play go back to the main screen and play, I would love to be able to use the USB hard drive as a giant SD card that’s about the only thing I would like, to be able to install NSP to the USB like said mine sits in the dock 99% of the time. The only time it is not if is if I take the SD card out to copy something on to it or update the switch

D

Deleted User

god this fuckin thread is toxic lol
just play your games however
one thing bothers me though
if you can get multiple hdds for xci loading
couldn't you have gotten multiple sd cards for cheaper?
amazon has still really good deals

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
god this fuckin thread is toxic lol
just play your games however
one thing bothers me though
if you can get multiple hdds for xci loading

Not picking any sides here, but imagine having a 1TB HDD full of XCI and then having to get 3 or 4 SDs, put all those games in different cards and then installing them. The time that would take.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

No.. a 2TB USB 3.0 2.5" external drive is cheaper than a 400GB SD card on Amazon.

That's at NOW pricing.. so USB HDD support was even better value for dollar per GB storage. That is why USB HDD support on SX OS has been so popular.

paulzheng

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Also, have to say most of the work must be credited to @Sigma_Guy and other Rust devs, I just did the part of implementing their system to libnx and/or atmosphere.
Also, have to say most of the work must be credited to @Sigma_Guy and other Rust devs, I just did the part of implementing their system to libnx and/or atmosphere.
As another note, I haven't talked with SciresM nor other atmosphere devs, I just started working on a small implementation to fs-mitm on my own, will have to see if they agree to allow the PR when it gets stable (and works fine)

hello Xortroll,are you sure goldleaf 0.6's support USB-HDD to install NPSs directly? the biggest problem is files transfer, it depends different HDD brand, disk formats etc.

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
For those wondering, I got back to work on this, and here you have: https://github.com/XorTroll/Atmosphere/tree/fspusb-dev/stratosphere/fsp-usb
fsp-usb is a brand new fs-like service which will be merged into ams_mitm as soon as it is finished, which allows mounting USB drives.

GitHub's code works fine, according to my latest tests everything works fine except messing around with more than 1 drive. Anyway, anyone who wants to compile and test it (who has knowledge of sysmodules and IPC stuff) go ahead.

Things are going pretty nice :)

D

Deleted User

For those wondering, I got back to work on this, and here you have: https://github.com/XorTroll/Atmosphere/tree/fspusb-dev/stratosphere/fsp-usb
fsp-usb is a brand new fs-like service which will be merged into ams_mitm as soon as it is finished, which allows mounting USB drives.

GitHub's code works fine, according to my latest tests everything works fine except messing around with more than 1 drive. Anyway, anyone who wants to compile and test it (who has knowledge of sysmodules and IPC stuff) go ahead.

Amazing work and Thank You

Reactions: charlieb

Essasetic

General Spectator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Welp time to update the OP haha

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

The miracle was done.

ms87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't doubt that this is an extremely noob question but does this mean that games can be installed to, and launched from, a USB device?

Or, does it mean I can mount an exFAT usb with my >4gb NSP files and install them from there to my Fat32 sd card? I currently use goldleaf for USB installing from my laptop but would love to be able to just plug in a usb stick directly to the switch and install from there

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Second.
Install from, not to.
Please forget about that, it would involve so much stuff.
Unfortunate, really. :( As long as SXOS has the monopoly on xci loading on both SD cards and hard disk, they will remain a viable option for a lot of users. And with great apps like the one from julesontheroad that can join all DLCs, updates, and base game nsp files into a single large xci file, the scale tips in favor of SXOS for user friendliness.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunate, really. :( As long as SXOS has the monopoly on xci loading on both SD cards and hard disk, they will remain a viable option for a lot of users. And with great apps like the one from julesontheroad that can join all DLCs, updates, and base game nsp files into a single large xci file, the scale tips in favor of SXOS for user friendliness.
Although I can't deny that I would be pretty happy if
  • installing NSPs (and even XCIs?) from USB
    and
  • having homebrews (especially RetroArch + roms)
would be a thing in Atmo. Many people have their NSP collection on an external drive anyway so plugging that in to install from there would be cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte