Daidude

Puzzled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread may contain spoilers

So most people probably have had the game for a few days now and I want to know what everyone thinks of it and how they are doing in the game.
Answer in questions like this

What level are you? 73

Where are you in the game? On my way to Eryth Sea EDIT: now at Alcamoth and am stuck on the story quest at Eryth Sea At the Telethia in the high entia tomb
Bionis interior can't beat the telethia in the heart
What do you think of the game overall? The graphics are brilliant considering it's on the Wii, the English dub is actually not as bad as some people say so overall I'd say that personally I think that it's one of the best game I've ever played on the Wii
yaywii.gif

Add more questions( and answers) if you need/want more
biggrin.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
sorry didn't like it the battle system just ruined it for me plain and simple felt too much like them crappy mmos on the pc from korea and locking on to fight just plain stupid made it too hard to switch enemies in a fight exsp when your getting pounded by 5+ at once. also no healing items in a rpg is just plain bad. i played it for a day than deleted it.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome experience this game is.
Currently at level 20 and having a hard time winning battles.
I can't seem to get past the tentacle mechon...fairly in the beginning of the game..
did some backtracking an defeated the catterpillar queen in the cave a bit back....
Still figuring things out..it's complex but in a fun kinda way.
Crafting gems, using skill tree etc. is something I'm trying to get my head around now.
Battles need some level of tactics I think...
This game can't be rushed!
Allready 15 hours on the clock! This game is HUGE.

And there ARE healing items.
It's part of your arts, wich is part of your battle skill.
Wich can be leveled up and shared with the party members via the skill tree.
Usage of gems is essential.
Leveling up your skills and arts can easily be overseen, but is essential.
( buying the books, and going into the character management is'nt well explained. )
You can spend alot time in the management in order to get the best out of your skills arts and items.
Quests will get you alot of experience points sometimes.

Daidude

Puzzled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hielkenator said:
Awesome experience this game is.
Currently at level 20 and having a hard time winning battles.
I can't seem to get past the tentacle mechon...fairly in the beginning of the game..
did some backtracking an defeated the catterpillar queen in the cave a bit back....
Still figuring things out..it's complex but in a fun kinda way.
Crafting gems, using skill tree etc. is something I'm trying to get my head around now.
Battles need some level of tactics I think...
This game can't be rushed!
Allready 15 hours on the clock! This game is HUGE.

And there ARE healing items.
It's part of your arts, wich is part of your battle skill.
Wich can be leveled up and shared with the party members via the skill tree.
Usage of gems is essential.
Leveling up your skills and arts can easily be overseen, but is essential.
( buying the books, and going into the character management is'nt well explained. )
You can spend alot time in the management in order to get the best out of your skills arts and items.
Quests will get you alot of experience points sometimes.

I first fought the tenticle mechon at level 18 but failed so I leveled up to about level 21 or so by doing quests and fighting the catipillar queen then I fought him again and he was a piece of cake
biggrin.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was Lv26 when I went to the tentacles boss, and didn't control Shulk.
I played as Reyn, so Shulk did most parts automatically hehe
tongue.gif

I like controlling other character to understand their abilities and decide which one I should upgrade first.

Edit:
As for answering the first post:

What level are you? 36

Where are you in the game? Left jungle village, need to fight that monster...
(same as you, hehe)

What do you think of the game overall?
Great game engine : map loading fast, menu are fine (though sometime missing few things, like better item sorting method).
Graphics are good, I don't care for the LoD, I don't care it's not HD. it's beautiful enough to look at the environment every time, searching where the "sword" is located, what position is the giant, where are you located on him, etc.
Dub : I switch US and Japanese, but I prefer japanese. I don't like some of the English dubs, like jumping for Reyn "Halley Hoooop", and I hardly understand what they are saying in and after battles, after many time hearing the same thng I still don't understand what Shulk is saying when winning battles hehe, I get irritated by their voices, so I prefer japanese.
Sub: French is fine, I don't know about other languages. It seems English subs are changing a lot of names (NPC names for example, and race names.) too bad to follow a discussion on the forum with someone playing another language.
Gameplay : I like the free feeling of the game. Areas are huge, You can go almost everywhere. Camera is working great (no clipping or bad positioning). Sometime I would like to run faster seeing how long it takes to go from one point to another, Hopefully you can Teleport whenever you want to specific places.
Battles : Sometime can become confuse, but battles are easy. Either you have the level and you win it without problem, either you don't and die quicly, you need then few more levels. Battles with same level to level+2 monsters are enjoyable, long but not hard. Auto attack is great and not a handicap, on the contrary it can let you hit the monster while you decide which action (ability) you will do next. Abilities are ATB system, it fills more or less quiclky depending your ability level. You upgrade them with Ability points. It's a mix of Action RPG and Turn based RPG, it feels like MMORPG. It's a turned based RPG without special battle screen. You need to place yourself correctly according to the action you want to do (long range, short range, back, side, etc.).
Battles have "frienship" system, where you can call your other character (you can't control them), they give supports, protection, in needed time (You can see future enemy action with Monado, so you need to select specific protection to prevent the action to happen).
The more you successfully do an action, the more relationship you get, etc.

Story : Well... don't expect an epic story evolving every minutes ... you don't spend your time watching the story but exploring the world. You walk a lot, you do a lot of missions, and you battles a lot. You don't see the story that often. only on beginning and end of each maps, which are huge.
I'm sure the dark facia is .... (hehe, when he looked at Reyn I knew there where someone inside/controled by someone/with someone's mind/etc. and I think I know who it is. Damn, what a bad character personality!)

I play it a LOT.
It's been 10 years since I didn't play a game all days long. around 10 hours a day all straight.
If you don't have time to play 100H+ game, don't focus on Xenoblade.
It's more an exploration, free move, many mission etc.

Of course, you can complete the game without doing any mission at all, except missions give a lot more exp. So you'll end doing only battles to level up.
Though, battles are a lot based on friendship, as you can't control the other players yourself, you need a good friendship to help you.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Potentially awesome game ruined by shitty battle system. There's no strategy involved, you just do the boring "kill monster X" sidequests until you're powerful enough to wail on the boss until he's dead. Otherwise the story was pretty interesting and I love Matsuda's music. I just couldn't last more than 5 hours with the gameplay

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like MANY other RPG.
In other RPG you just kill all the monsters from random battles. At least here you can decide not to fight boring and not enjoyable battles.

Hit them all and start again.
Not many RPG games have strategy, you just wait for ATB to fill, select "attack" or "Magic" or "Item" or "Skill", select one of them on the monster and win.
It's the same here, there's just no Item to consume in battles.

Each characters have different skills system, each have different strategy, you have to positions yourself correctly to make more damages, etc.
Lot of skills system, lot of strategy depending on the controlling character I think.

You have to make strategy depending on the "next move" of the enemy, because you know 10 seconds before what attack the enemy will do, so you have to anticipate your action in real time based on that.
It's entertaining, fast paced battles. Of course, you couldn't see that system after only 5 hours into the game. you are only at the beginning with the first characters.
Though, you don't take your time to create strategy on multiple turns, you have to react quickly (other members acts fast).

It's like saying Zelda or Seiken Densetsu's battles are bad, you don't make strategy, you only smash the attack button, or course you do, it's an action game, not a turned based game.
If you want a strategy game, choose another one. You took the wrong one. It's not a SRPG, it's a ARPG.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
synce said:
Potentially awesome game ruined by shitty battle system. There's no strategy involved, you just do the boring "kill monster X" sidequests until you're powerful enough to wail on the boss until he's dead.
yep pretty much sums it up that's what is called a quest and grinder rpg which is what this is
tongue.gif

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bladexdsl said:
synce said:
Potentially awesome game ruined by shitty battle system. There's no strategy involved, you just do the boring "kill monster X" sidequests until you're powerful enough to wail on the boss until he's dead.
yep pretty much sums it up that's what is called a quest and grinder rpg which is what this is
tongue.gif

We'll if you guys played it a bit more longer you'de know there's tactics involved.

@Cyan: Whenyou open the map ( press - ) you can teleport to the revealed landmarks within a region.
There's only reason to walk the map once, after that you can speed the gameplay up by teleporting.

I don't know why people a complaining about the battle system, what where you guys expecting?
It's awesome IMHO, and I usually only play snes rpg's like Secret of Mana ( wich I finished )
You had to grind in that game too . This is much more fun.

BTW you can defeat creatures of a higher level if you KNOW how to use the Items and Tactics.
( not in battle but mainly before and preparing )
It's NO Zelda!
For this game you'll acctually have to read stuff in order to understand and utilize it in game.
Sure you can grind untill you have a higer level, but if you know what you're doing it's not mandatory per say if you want to defeat higher level enemy's.
Understand the game, and go back to visited places to learn things that will help you in a different way than "just grinding".
There's alot more to this game than some people think.
But agreed you have to have time to play and enjoy.

Daidude

Puzzled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hielkenator said:
Bladexdsl said:
synce said:
tongue.gif

We'll if you guys played it a bit more longer you'de know there's tactics involved.

@Cyan: Whenyou open the map ( press - ) you can teleport to the revealed landmarks within a region.
There's only reason to walk the map once, after that you can speed the gameplay up by teleporting.

I don't know why people a complaining about the battle system, what where you guys expecting?
It's awesome IMHO, and I usually only play snes rpg's like Secret of Mana ( wich I finished )
You had to grind in that game too . This is much more fun.

BTW you can defeat creatures of a higher level if you KNOW how to use the Items and Tactics.
For this game you'll acctually have to read stuff in order to understand and utilize it in game.
Sure you can grind untill you have a higer level, but if you know what you're doing it's not mandatory per say if you want to defeat higher level enemy's.
Understand the game, and go back to visited places to learn things that will help you in a different way than "just grinding".
There's alot more to this game than some people think.
But agreed you have to have time to play and enjoy.

The game definately isn't ruined by "a shitty battle system" the battle system in the game is quite enjoyable and it isn't just grind until you are levels higher than what you are fighting, if you use tactics and utilize the moves you have you can defeat things 1-4 levels higher than the level you actually are

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Daidude said:
So most people probably have had the game for a few days now and I want to know what everyone thinks of it and how they are doing in the game.
Answer in questions like this

What level are you? 36

Where are you in the game? On my way to Eryth Sea EDIT: now at Alcamoth and am stuck on the story quest at Eryth Sea

I'm about to go to colony 6

What do you think of the game overall? The graphics are brilliant considering it's on the Wii, the English dub is actually not as bad as some people say so overall I'd say that personally I think that it's one of the best game I've ever played on the Wii
yaywii.gif

It's okay, I've seen better graphics on the ps2, it's the best RPG on the Wii but not the best RPG this gen.
This is the only Wii game that have kept my interest for this long, don't know how long that will last though.

Add more questions( and answers) if you need/want more
biggrin.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry, forgot to answer the level and position in game.
I'm like you, lv36 going to sea. (well, first I have to fight the big flying thing)

(Shouldn't spoil too much).

Like the Nopon said near the tree : You will be surprised
tongue.gif

And we need to continue with Reyn's odor too...
Ahaha, of course he would sweat in that armor in tropical forest XD

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
sorry didn't like it the battle system just ruined it for me plain and simple felt too much like them crappy mmos on the pc from korea and locking on to fight just plain stupid made it too hard to switch enemies in a fight exsp when your getting pounded by 5+ at once. also no healing items in a rpg is just plain bad. i played it for a day than deleted it.
I'm enjoying the game.. but I admit I really don't like the locking on thing.. I just find it super hard to switch enemies to the one I want...

But anyway...
I'm level 23 and struggling to beat the big metal guy at the bottom of the mine right now.. (I forgot his name >_>; ) I just can't topple him. x_x;

The voices were a bit... weird at first, but I've gotten used to them and kinda like them now. I really like the world, it's amazing.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hielkenator said:
Bladexdsl said:
synce said:
tongue.gif
doesn't matter the game is still boring all you do is fight and quest rpg these days need a lot more than that to keep ME interested this game feels just like a damn MMO you can download for free on the PC with them crappy kidanime characters. what makes this game also bad:

1. no healing items
2. crappy lock on system
3. don't have full control over your party
4. clumsy controls
5. boring story

after all the hype and finally getting this game it ended up disappointing the shit out of me just like many other wii games that came before it.

--- END OF LINE ---

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You forgot to tell about the "boob job" they did on sharla. ( that's no kid anime!)

Anyway, It like the atmosphere of the game very much.
I'm just taking my time and enjoying it.
Sometimes it's rather hard though.

I find the story very good so far.
The big bosses are just epic.

I suggest using a classic controller for this game.
It makes A LOT OF DIFFERENCE.
Makes moving, navigating very good.
especially the camera, wich is free with a classic controller.

1. no healing items Dude it does'nt work THAT way.
2. crappy lock on system ? use a classic controller?
3. don't have full control over your party More control that I can handle personally...
4. clumsy controls Only if you are clumsy yourself I can image, lol
5. boring story You must have "a hell of a action packed life" if you find this story boring.
It's absolutely not. Also there's no way in hell you can tell that after just one day.
Seeing the scale this game on.

Are you sure you even like games in general?
This game is as complex as MH tri, wich is a good thing IMHO.

It's not like those free MMORPG's ( why would you play those? )
Atm i'm at the sewers, enjoying sharla's outfit. ( no kid anime again! )

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm at level 21 and on the way to Colony 6 right now. I will just dump my thoughts here too:

QUOTE said:
Xenoblade has lots of cool stuff going for it.
  • Amazing landscapes, one of the best looking/art directed game on the Wii?
  • Huge variety of monsters (and huge ass monsters too.)
  • Minimal loading times: Roaming these vast beautiful lands and into towns without waiting for it to load is just great.
  • Loads of items and this crystal forging system.
  • Epic cut scenes
  • Innovative battle system - real time but mixed with features from turn based systems.
The last point is also a bit of a negative point:
Battle sometimes gets chaotic for me. But I haven't lost a fight because of it, so this point is minor.

The only other negative thing for me is one that I have with almost every JRPG (and Anime): The look/clothing of the characters.
tongue.gif
It's really just a matter of taste and I can look over it because I have beautiful virtual nature and awesome monsters to look at.
I am really enjoying this game. Yep, easily best RPG on Wii. There are so much side missions (albeit only fetch quests) and so much different things to encounter it doesn't get boring. It's great that you don't have to get back to the NPC that gave you the side quest. It's automatically completed when you got the item(s), defeated the monster(s) etc.. Also the sunset is gorgeous!
laugh.gif

I haven't looked into the skills and tactics system yet... so I guess I have even more to explore now
smile.gif

Daidude

Puzzled
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cuber said:
Bladexdsl said:
I'm enjoying the game.. but I admit I really don't like the locking on thing.. I just find it super hard to switch enemies to the one I want...

But anyway...
I'm level 23 and struggling to beat the big metal guy at the bottom of the mine right now.. (I forgot his name >_>; ) I just can't topple him. x_x;

The voices were a bit... weird at first, but I've gotten used to them and kinda like them now. I really like the world, it's amazing.

Xord was insanely hard to topple I first fought him at your level but couldn't beat him so I trained a bit, leveled up to 26 and then beat him just about
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1