Homebrew RELEASE XCI - Explorer

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same Problem here.

I renamed it as "ahc.xci" (laying direct on c:/) or as "crash.bandicoot.nt.xci (desktop dir) and get the error "cant access file" when I try to trimm it or when i want to inject a cert file.
Try rebooting your computer and make sure nothing else is trying to access the file first? Close file explorer, etc.

chr0m

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just tried this out, trimmed one game (The End is Night) instantly. Then went to open Sonic Mania Plus and it's just hanging, won't even open. I am accessing the files from my MicroSD directly, maybe I shouldn't

Edit: Looks like it's a bad dump

Edit 2: Actually, it opens in an older version of the tool

Last edited by chr0m,

Bravalerie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've just downloaded the software, looks very nice. It can trim the files very good.
But i can't find the way to cut split the XCI to fit in FAT32 cards
LVj7U5I.png

Do anyone knows the way?

Ratatattat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a write up on how to extract the UPDATE partition from an XCI image would be helpful now that Raj has released ChoiDujourNX?

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I was able to run this and extract my certs, which is really helpful because I can backup the certs for more than one game stored separately from my actual game backups - so I don't have to waste space with two backups of the same game.

What I couldn't figure out is how to actually split the games. I don't see any split option anywhere. There's the option to load the XCI, and trim the XCI, and export or import the cert, or view the cert, or clear the cert, but no split option. If this is supposed to be an option, where is it?

Also: I found it interesting that I could extract from the cart. For example, I was able to extract StartupMovie.gif and view that on the PC. Why isn't there a way to inject files though, to replace things in a cart? I think a tool like this could lead to serious game modding potential AND allow people to share the mods to be injected into someone's backups without breaking the rules by sharing the complete modified game.

If they are only 80% confident, that means it 100% didn't match any virus definition and is just using heuristics.

Heuristics-based detection is used by an AV vender to get ahead of actual threats, but they have serious flaws. For example, if you wrote a simple "Hello World!" program in C and compiled an executable that file would get flagged as malicious by many venders UNLESS you set it as a final release in your compiler. From there, if something can open files and/or make changes to that (like, say, an application designed to edit a short list of hex values within a larger file, like a cert injection tool) it will also be flagged. A dev could submit the file to the company that flagged it (assuming there is even contact information available in English) and they MIGHT put it on their white list, but then the next compiled version will just break again. AV is the bane of all devs, including students like me who can't even share source code with another student working on a project with me without being blocked by over-zealous AV scans.

The only reason why mainstream software generally doesn't get flagged like this is because they use certificates that can be revoked. The basic idea is that if you pay a company like Microsoft for a certificate it must be safe, because those certificates can be revoked if they are not safe, but even that isn't safe because the malware like ransomware have valid certificates that they pay for, and just keep buying them when they get revoked because they make more money than the license costs, so you can't even trust 100% safe either.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to run this and extract my certs, which is really helpful because I can backup the certs for more than one game stored separately from my actual game backups - so I don't have to waste space with two backups of the same game.

What I couldn't figure out is how to actually split the games. I don't see any split option anywhere. There's the option to load the XCI, and trim the XCI, and export or import the cert, or view the cert, or clear the cert, but no split option. If this is supposed to be an option, where is it?

Also: I found it interesting that I could extract from the cart. For example, I was able to extract StartupMovie.gif and view that on the PC. Why isn't there a way to inject files though, to replace things in a cart? I think a tool like this could lead to serious game modding potential AND allow people to share the mods to be injected into someone's backups without breaking the rules by sharing the complete modified game.

If they are only 80% confident, that means it 100% didn't match any virus definition and is just using heuristics.

Heuristics-based detection is used by an AV vender to get ahead of actual threats, but they have serious flaws. For example, if you wrote a simple "Hello World!" program in C and compiled an executable that file would get flagged as malicious by many venders UNLESS you set it as a final release in your compiler. From there, if something can open files and/or make changes to that (like, say, an application designed to edit a short list of hex values within a larger file, like a cert injection tool) it will also be flagged. A dev could submit the file to the company that flagged it (assuming there is even contact information available in English) and they MIGHT put it on their white list, but then the next compiled version will just break again. AV is the bane of all devs, including students like me who can't even share source code with another student working on a project with me without being blocked by over-zealous AV scans.

The only reason why mainstream software generally doesn't get flagged like this is because they use certificates that can be revoked. The basic idea is that if you pay a company like Microsoft for a certificate it must be safe, because those certificates can be revoked if they are not safe, but even that isn't safe because the malware like ransomware have valid certificates that they pay for, and just keep buying them when they get revoked because they make more money than the license costs, so you can't even trust 100% safe either.
wow that's the best explanation i've ever read on anti viruses.

Reactions: Elliander

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
roblem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: XCI-Explorer.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.4.4.0
Problem Signature 03: 5bfaeadd
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.7.3062.0
Problem Signature 06: 5ab95126
Problem Signature 07: 331
Problem Signature 08: 10
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Back when I was in school Symantec kept blocking me from access the NAS no matter pc I was on (fresh install or not) so I just ended up removing it from the system without any admin permissions

Reactions: Elliander

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
roblem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: XCI-Explorer.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.4.4.0
Problem Signature 03: 5bfaeadd
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib