XBOX Set top box being released as Cheaper Alternative

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Multiple sources associated with TheVerge.com have shared with them that Microsoft is planning a Xbox Set top box as apart of their next gen strategy. The device will mostly focus on causal gaming. No specs have been shared however. Microsoft is supposedly planning on officially announcing the set-up box and their next-gen console sometime next year.

:arrow:The Verge

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how many bits of rumors and speculation we've heard regarding the 360's successor (or Next-Box, if you're cool like that), it's probably best to take this with a grain of salt... or perhaps a silo.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They already have something resembling an IPTV with all their partnerships with various video providers and I could see an XBLA (not sure about tablet windows 8 stuff) and "just not a satellite/cable box" working as a standalone thing. If they can work in a media player of reasonable quality I might even be tempted to park one under my hypothetical TV.
As Gahars said though the rumour/speculation mill is in overdrive right now so I am not paying too much attention to anything.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can see MS using the same strategy as the launch 360's

Core console (basic version) for the casuals, Pro (normal) console for the rest, Elite (large HDD etc) for the die hards.
Same thing goes for their Windows versions. Home, Professional and Ultimate.

Reactions: noob killer

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I can see MS using the same strategy as the launch 360's

Core console (basic version) for the casuals, Pro (normal) console for the rest, Elite (large HDD etc) for the die hards.
Same thing goes for their Windows versions. Home, Professional and Ultimate.

I got the Elite simply because it was cooler, more space and had bonus like free games. =3
And well, when I see several versions of a console, I can't help but choose the best one, the cheaper models are always worse anyway.

Anyway, I'm not interested in this thingy, what's the point of releasing a low cost version of the 360 next year, when the next console should be coming in two years or so?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I got the Elite simply because it was cooler, more space and had bonus like free games. =3
And well, when I see several versions of a console, I can't help but choose the best one, the cheaper models are always worse anyway.

Anyway, I'm not interested in this thingy, what's the point of releasing a low cost version of the 360 next year, when the next console should be coming in two years or so?

Hardware wise, they're all the same. (exception for Arcade Jaspers which have BB NANDS, 265MB and 512MB)
There's a Core/Pro of the Xenon.
Core/Pro/Elite of the Zephyr.
Arcade/Pro/Elite of the Falcon.
Arcade/Pro/Elite of the Jasper.
Slims also are exactly the same.
4GB and 250/320GB Slims both have the same Mobo.

So yeah the Core/Pro/Elite is just a selling name.
From the inside they all do exactly the same.
So I think this is just a marketing strategy to attract more customers.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not surprising, since Google and Apple already have their own TV add-ons. Leaving everything to other manufacturers/companies would be a bad marketing decision, since integration with competitors' products is bound to be worse than with a native MS products (just look at Apple's products and how well they work natively with others).

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hardware wise, they're all the same. (exception for Arcade Jaspers which have BB NANDS, 265MB and 512MB)
There's a Core/Pro of the Xenon.
Core/Pro/Elite of the Zephyr.
Arcade/Pro/Elite of the Falcon.
Arcade/Pro/Elite of the Jasper.
Slims also are exactly the same.
4GB and 250/320GB Slims both have the same Mobo.

So yeah the Core/Pro/Elite is just a selling name.
From the inside they all do exactly the same.
So I think this is just a marketing strategy to attract more customers.

More space and limited edition bundles makes it superior to me, pffft!!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The outside is different and brings stuff like games!

Outside is exactly the same except for the colours which can be repainted with spray paint super easily.
As for the HDD, HDDHackr and for games just flash the drive.

Skell wtf are you doing ;o;

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Outside is exactly the same except for the colours which can be repainted with spray paint super easily.
As for the HDD, HDDHackr and for games just flash the drive.

Skell wtf are you doing ;o;

Pfff!! If it comes with a bigger hard drive, plus even brings games with the bundle, paying a bit more is worth it, rather than going for a version with lesser space. Take the PS3 for instance, I went for the one with the biggest space (don't recall which one it was) and the same applies for the WiiU, you have the normal and the deluxe version, while it's 50€ more, you get more space and also brings other benefits (which I don't really recall).

What I mean is, if you're going to buy a system, you might as well get the one with the most stuff, even if it's slightly more expensive, I actually deem the expensive versions as the real versions whereas the cheaper ones are pretty much for people that don't plan to do much with them (like seriously, could you download anything with the cheapest version of the 360?)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Pfff!! If it comes with a bigger hard drive, plus even brings games with the bundle, paying a bit more is worth it, rather than going for a version with lesser space. Take the PS3 for instance, I went for the one with the biggest space (don't recall which one it was) and the same applies for the WiiU, you have the normal and the deluxe version, while it's 50€ more, you get more space and also brings other benefits (which I don't really recall).

What I mean is, if you're going to buy a system, you might as well get the one with the most stuff, even if it's slightly more expensive, I actually deem the expensive versions as the real versions whereas the cheaper ones are pretty much for people that don't plan to do much with them (like seriously, could you download anything with the cheapest version of the 360?)

I do agree with you on that.
It doesn't change the fact that it's still the same from the inside.

I also go for the most deluxe edition out there, adding things to the cheapest console to make it look like a deluxe is more expensive then getting it in the first place.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read something about this awhile ago on either tech crunch or the verge ....from what I remember though it said something like it will only play arcade games at most.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly