Xbox randomly stops turning on

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Xbox 360 jasper phat stops turning on for some reason, I bought a new power supply and it worked for 2 weeks but now also doesn’t work. Both power supplies show orange light but the console doesn’t show any signal of life.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think we have any specific/known failure modes that blow power supplies up (and it is a Jasper so lowest power of that form factor and thus not likely to be over draw), though we are now far enough into life that we could see the interesting things.

At this point I would suggest you remove everything (hard drive, anything USB...) and only plug in the power lead and video before turning it on. I have had a few later models complain before when USB things were plugged in (including a controller, hopefully you have a wireless one or don't mind using the buttons) and some hard drives can cause issues as well.
In said later models I have also seen a lot of dust in the PSU but that should not be a problem for these.

After that build it back up piece by piece if it works.
If it does not then we have to start looking deeper, or maybe consider coincidence (if you bought a random one off ebay or something then it too could have been on the way out).

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. Have you tried plugging it into another socket? Use another power strip if you have to, as i think both power supplies can't be both faulty, right? I mean it's possible, but is this behavior is because some internal hardware failure causing this, and not the power supplies failing? Maybe.. Try the above, and also tell us what you've tried & experienced, any slowdown/ crashes while the system's on etc. unplugging everything.. inspecting/cleaning ports might help too..

bob1212

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I tried a different outlet and took off all of the accessories connected to the Xbox and used both bricks and still nothing. I do remember a time where I was playing my Xbox with the original brick and it would just shut off randomly so possibly the Xbox is just failing but that doesn’t explain why I can buy a new power supply and it would work again.
Post automatically merged:

I can try to go back to the game shop and see if they have any more power supplies and if I can trade mine in.
Post automatically merged:

Seems that I got it to work but when I try again this happens, I’m thinking it’s possible that, that the power button board is messed up.

Attachments

• 71553393482__A8E40D8D-25F9-422F-BA10-05719BF64257.MOV
    5.5 MB
Last edited by bob1212,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but that doesn’t explain why I can buy a new power supply and it would work again.
Indeed
Seems that I got it to work but when I try again this happens, I’m thinking it’s possible that, that the power button board is messed up.
Could be the RF module malfunctioning.. Can't tell you for sure though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So drops out entirely. No red rings.
Upon trying to power again it shuts down seemingly quicker.

The quicker thing could speak to overheating or capacitors not doing as they should, or maybe something shorting out. Could also be the little button is on its way out and pressing itself (if you have ever had a mouse fail and start double clicking then similar idea). I have had a glut of newer devices (not 360s but pressed about as much) have some failures here with similar types of switches.

If you have another board (don't know if a RRoD one will work here if people have them around still) and a few in the glut mentioned above I have had to remove the button (as opposed to manually jumping the legs and thus hopefully avoiding any mechanical actions with the switch if it is settled).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto