"Xbox One S" image leaks surface

8XK4z8S.png
A user on NeoGAF has supposedly leaked images of the new revision of the Xbox One, titled "Xbox One S", with the S obviously standing for slim. According to the leaked image, the console is 40% smaller, contains a 2TB hard drive, and supports 4K video with High Dynamic Range. It includes a streamlined controller and a vertical stand, with an internal power block. The only statement a Microsoft spokesperson has made about the leak is this:

"¯\_(ツ)_/¯ www.xbox.com/e3."

80a0f1a9-eca9-4508-99xouft.jpg

:arrow:Source - NeoGAF
:arrow:Source - Microsoft Statement to The Verge

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it was confirmed, but I don't really see the point with the Scorpio on the Horizon.
Also seems that the Scorpio will most likely be using a AMD Polaris or Vega GPU with the crazy power it'll be putting out.

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
Those contain 2x 2tb separate drives internally. You're welcome to check the many reviews. My argument stands.

A single internal 4tb 2.5 inch drive is not yet available.
Excuse my ignorance - but the 2nd link points to a drive that states it is a 4Tb 2.5" HDD. Can you please show me where it states it or is proven it is 2 x 2Tb drives?

Not trying to argue but I am genuinely curious as I didn't realise they may have been 2 x 2Tb drives

Link again for ease: http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...rtable-hard-drive-black-sgbkpp4tb?cm_vc=pdrp1

Or what about this one on Amazon (which definitely seems to be a single 4Tb 2.5" drive - picture of drive itself included):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...16YFEYK6&fp=1&pc_redir=T1&tag=storagerealm-20

I am happy with the 2Tb in the slim - as long as it performs at a good speed :)

I never asked for a 4Tb - but found a link that pointed to a hdd that states it is a 2.5" portable HDD

@Foxi4 - strange never had an issue with any of the 360 slim consoles with fan noise - the phats were louder than slims for me... Goes to show everyone's experience can be different

Either way - I enjoy gaming and play whatever console has the game I want today. Xbox one is my main console and use the PS4 for its exclusive games only... Just can't get past the fan noise (and bad controller battery life)

I have plans to buy the Xbox ONE S when my warranty runs out on my 500Gb model... I only hope the fan noise is just as low as my experience with the 500Gb model :)

Last edited by Fun_Zephyr,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, Xboxes went through a zillion internal revisions without changing the name of the system. I'm sure Dinoh might shine some light on this, but the Slim I play on has a noisy fan and an even noisier drive - it sounds like it's shredding discs, not reading them. Perhaps it was covered in a ton of dust before I got my hands on it so the bearings on the fan went to shit - I wouldn't know as the sound doesn't bother me, it's still quieter than the ambient noise floor of my flat as I usually listen to podcasts or YT videos all day anyways. Sometimes I'll jokingly say that the "PS4 is taking off" when the fan kicks into high gear, but it's not that loud all things considered and it's never overheated as far as I know. I could technically make it quieter with some love and a can of grease or WD40, but I never bothered doing that on modern systems, only on my oldies which truly do show signs of wear and tear on the fans.

D

Deleted-355425

I just pre ordered the White Xbox slim s 2Tb at game, launch day firmware for collecting dust!

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same_old_tricks_3832c1_5946810.jpg

Same_23ec22_5946810.jpg

I was looking forward to it being about the size of a Wii U. Sadly I was misled. And it will launch at $400 in Canada while I can get the original for $300 on Amazon. I'm glad I pretty much don't want any of the games for it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Same_old_tricks_3832c1_5946810.jpg

Same_23ec22_5946810.jpg

I was looking forward to it being about the size of a Wii U. Sadly I was misled. And it will launch at $400 in Canada while I can get the original for $300 on Amazon. I'm glad I pretty much don't want any of the games for it.
It would be physically impossible for it to be the size of the Wii U, the Wii U's CPU operates fanlessly (the system only has a small extractor fan to vent the case), uses an external power supply (the XBO S got rid of the power brick) and doesn't require heat displacement (meanwhile the XBO uses heatpipes to move the radiator away from the APU), this stuff takes space. The TDP of the APU is much higher, you can't cool it with fairy dust.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It would be physically impossible for it to be the size of the Wii U, the Wii U's CPU operates fanlessly (the system only has a small extractor fan to vent the case), uses an external power supply (the XBO S got rid of the power brick) and doesn't require heat displacement (meanwhile the XBO uses heatpipes to move the radiator away from the APU), this stuff takes space. The TDP of the APU is much higher, you can't cool it with fairy dust.
Idunno, I just assumed the Xboss used the latest tech to it's advantage. It's only a little bit more powerful than the original Xbone, so a die shrink and a more efficient architecture is not out of the question.

Also, Intel's Skull Canyon NUC is pretty close despite being much smaller, so something only a bit bigger than the Wii U shouldn't be impossible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Idunno, I just assumed the Xboss used the latest tech to it's advantage. It's only a little bit more powerful than the original Xbone, so a die shrink and a more efficient architecture is not out of the question.

Also, Intel's Skull Canyon NUC is pretty close despite being much smaller, so something only a bit bigger than the Wii U shouldn't be impossible.
Not even close. In processing power, maybe, but not in structure. The 6770HQ has four physical cores (but 8 threads, hence 8 "logical" cores) while the Xbox One has 8. The Iris Pro 580 is also behind in GPU TFLOP's - 1.11 vs. 1.31TFLOPS's, not to mention that Intel's GPU's have notoriously poorer feature sets compared to AMD and NVidia. Whatever savings they made by shrinking the die were mitigated by the introduction of the PSU. Even so, a 40% decrease in size is still huge - it's almost half the size of the original.

Daniel41550

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody think that black part on the bottom of it ruins the look? It doesn't go well with the white color and makes it look more bulky, when they were going for a sleek design.

D

Deleted-355425

Does anybody think that black part on the bottom of it ruins the look? It doesn't go well with the white color and makes it look more bulky, when they were going for a sleek design.

its to give the illusion of being smaller,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To be fair, Xboxes went through a zillion internal revisions without changing the name of the system. I'm sure Dinoh might shine some light on this, but the Slim I play on has a noisy fan and an even noisier drive - it sounds like it's shredding discs, not reading them. Perhaps it was covered in a ton of dust before I got my hands on it so the bearings on the fan went to shit - I wouldn't know as the sound doesn't bother me, it's still quieter than the ambient noise floor of my flat as I usually listen to podcasts or YT videos all day anyways. Sometimes I'll jokingly say that the "PS4 is taking off" when the fan kicks into high gear, but it's not that loud all things considered and it's never overheated as far as I know. I could technically make it quieter with some love and a can of grease or WD40, but I never bothered doing that on modern systems, only on my oldies which truly do show signs of wear and tear on the fans.

Xbox had 7 revisions
360 had 13 revisions
Xbone has 2?

I'm pretty sure Sony has done more internal revisions on one console then MS did in their entire lifetime ;p

Well, in all fairness, 360's are a bit noisy.
However Slims should be quiet.
It's highly likely your console is just dusty and has worn out bearings.
The DVD drive issue can be circumvented by installing games to the HDD, the only noise you'll hear then is the disc check noise and AP2.5 table checks when the console boots/loads a game.
As for the fan, kinda weird it'd be borked already but eh, can't rule out that possibility.

Also, I personally find the PS3 the loudest of them all.
I got a 19 blade fan in me PS4 (could also be that the bearings are a bit shot) and dried up thermal paste underneath the IHS of the CPU.
It kicks into high gear quickly ;/

Edit: apologies for the late reply.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Xbox had 7 revisions
360 had 13 revisions
Xbone has 2?

I'm pretty sure Sony has done more internal revisions on one console then MS did in their entire lifetime ;p

Well, in all fairness, 360's are a bit noisy.
However Slims should be quiet.
It's highly likely your console is just dusty and has worn out bearings.
The DVD drive issue can be circumvented by installing games to the HDD, the only noise you'll hear then is the disc check noise and AP2.5 table checks when the console boots/loads a game.
As for the fan, kinda weird it'd be borked already but eh, can't rule out that possibility.

Also, I personally find the PS3 the loudest of them all.
I got a 19 blade fan in me PS4 (could also be that the bearings are a bit shot) and dried up thermal paste underneath the IHS of the CPU.
It kicks into high gear quickly ;/

Edit: apologies for the late reply.
I take great care of my systems and clean them quite often. If anything, it could be a manufacturing flaw of the fan, but it never caused any overheating issues so I didn't give it much attention in that department. Noise has never bothered me, to be honest with you - I'm too busy playing the games to notice how loud the system is. ;) Nice necrobump though. :lol:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I take great care of my systems and clean them quite often. If anything, it could be a manufacturing flaw of the fan, but it never caused any overheating issues so I didn't give it much attention in that department. Noise has never bothered me, to be honest with you - I'm too busy playing the games to notice how loud the system is. ;) Nice necrobump though. :lol:

Well, after you've heard me PS3.. You'll start to complain for sure ;p
I usually keep me RGH around 70% fanspeed (CPU/GPU/RAM won't come above 60c)

Wasn't me who necro'd it tho.

Anyway, me mate got a Xbone S and I gotten his old Xbone.
The One S is so quiet that you can actually hear the HDD's R/W operations.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, after you've heard me PS3.. You'll start to complain for sure ;p
I usually keep me RGH around 70% fanspeed (CPU/GPU/RAM won't come above 60c)

Wasn't me who necro'd it tho.

Anyway, me mate got a Xbone S and I gotten his old Xbone.
The One S is so quiet that you can actually hear the HDD's R/W operations.
I know, I bought one myself this Christmas. It's a solid system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1