Xbox One memory performance improved significantly (ESRAM@192 GB/s)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jun 29, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

GDDR5 am cry. :(

2. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Look at MS trying to get out of their grave. I applaud them for the effort, but so many people still wont turn to them for next gen because of the initial info on the system.

Sang, xwatchmanx and Madridi like this.
  3. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    You'd honestly be very surprised.
    Only the REALLY grudgy people are still angry at them about their console. A lot of people have already hopped back on the bandwagon. Gamestops are selling out of pre orders left and right for Xbone AND PS4.
    I think the only thing still slowing them down is their price point. It's still pretty friggen large ._.

EZ-Megaman, Madridi and Sagat like this.
  4. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    And those people are complete morons. People wanted the DRM and used game shit to be removed, and they did it. People are calling MS "pussies" for doing that, which is honestly stupid as fuck.

Yet people also want Nintendo to remove region locking from the 3DS and Wii U, and I'm sure if they did, no one would be saying the same shit about them.

Foxi4, EZ-Megaman and Sagat like this.
  5. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Really? I never knew that. Quite interesting.
    As for the price, it's the stupid Kinect that no one wants. If they took that out, they could reduce the price by a nice chunk. Either way, I was always going to get it, this news just adds more players to the multiplayer. :D

EZ-Megaman, Madridi and chavosaur like this.
  6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    You know, even reading the article, I don't know how the fuck you would manage to be so far off on your own specs.

"Well we had interns figure this out before, and once somebody that actually understood our technology looked at it, they realized, oh hey, it's more capable than we thought!"

bowser and Ron like this.
  7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

I love how they find power for their console like people find twenty dollar bills in their back pockets.

"Gee, how did that get there?"

bowser, gamefan5, Foxi4 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    In other news, gaming media sources still [willingly] being spun under the auspices of anonymous sources that have absolutely no vested interest at all in seeing the Xbone recover some of its lost luster.

9. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I read about this yesterday on neogaf where they ask how could ms not know about their own final hardware?
    I also watched this vid the other day where Mark Cerny states how Sony nearly went with a similar setup but didn't because it wasn't in the best interest of developers:

Kinda funny how MS are trying to downplay the rivals hardware saying it isn't about specs. I'm sure they'd still be saying that if they had the better specs ;)

10. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    I'm confused.

Is it just the ESRAM being capable of 192GB/s or is this the theoretical throughput they are expecting from the total 8GB of RAM due to the boost from the ESRAM?

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    *sigh* I've said this before and I'll say it again: there's just no point in arguing what'll be the more powerful console at this point. Not only are the numbers so complex that hardly anyone can grasp what kind of effect it will effectively has on the output and there's hardly an objective source to be found...now they're changing specs as well!

I really wonder why the hell anyone would want to preorder anything right now. Sure, MS sure is going for the Guiness record of worst presentation of a console ever ("oh, so the memory is nearly twice as powerful as we said? Gee...I wonder if anyone actually cares about it?" :rolleyes). But it's becoming more and more clear that until a multiplatform game is actually benchmarked on all systems, all "info" is basically worthless.

EZ-Megaman and Thug like this.
  12. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place

Region locking effects such a small number of Nintendo's consumer base though, DRM effects every single person who buys a console. Personally, as a Nintendo fanboy, I couldn't give two squirts of piss whether Nintendo has region locking or not because I don't read Japanese and I actually like to read the texts in my games. Only a small population imports games from Japan anyway and the majority of Nintendo releases see world wide launches in a timely manner.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Oh MS, you so crazy~

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Embed memory all you want - it may very well increase bandwidth, but you'll still have to develop ways to cut your resources into chunks to stream through the narrow throat of the embedded memory. It's overcomplicated and it wastes developer's time. Oh, did I also mention that it has to be done asynchronously to the console's CPU clock, so timing may end up all over the place? Yeah.

By the way, what does Microsoft mean by "theoretically possible"? Either it is or it isn't - it's low-level functionality, measure actual performance, it's not rocket science.

15. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Oh Foxi, you'd go at such lenghts to defend Sony at any cost :wub:

Xbox One > PS4

Take that, Sony fanboys! :angry:

This post is to be intended as a joke.

Riyaz, Sagat, EZ-Megaman and 2 others like this.
  16. MrDiesel

MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Belgium
    My PC :)
    Am I wrong or is it actually 133GB/s (which is still lower than PS4's) in "real-life"?

17. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    I fixed those errors you made.
    I know joke post.

Riyaz and gamefan5 like this.
  18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Raul's gonna raul... Okay, you win! :cry:

19. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    Or only the really SMART people, I said it before and I'll say it again anyone who buys a Xbox1 is a sheep.

Rayder likes this.
  20. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Or just wants to enjoy a decent console making up for its mistakes and will be a worthwhile addition to these so called "console wars"
    But uh, since you probably can't read this, here is the google translated version.
    "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Sagat and EZ-Megaman like this.