xbox 360 softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by crislsizl, Dec 17, 2008.

Dec 17, 2008

xbox 360 softmod by crislsizl at 2:12 PM (3,297 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. crislsizl
    OP

Newcomer crislsizl Member

Germany
    is there a way to softmod a xbox 360 similar to the wii?
    maybe i wasn't looking good enough although i researched pretty much.
    i would appreciate your help

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    All methods presently available will involve taking apart your 360 and flashing the drive.
    There are multiple drives available but all methods aside from the soon to be released lite-on are fairly simple (the lite-on is not that bad either but it will take more effort).

3. crislsizl
    OP

Newcomer crislsizl Member

Germany
    after modding the xbox, is it possible to play then backup games and is it then also possible to play these games online?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yes it is possible to backup games (although you can only play backup games, you can not hack them like you can the wii ones).
    Online is fine although microsoft occasionally bans people if it detects you are playing copies. Nobody really knows how it works but we suspect it is bad burns of games that do it (along with bad dumps; some of the "early" (as in before release dates) releases are supposed to be bad), playing games online before release dates possibly and some have cast doubt on some of the modding methods (the xbox can tell if you power it without a drive connected as you might have to, realistically there is no reason to have it out other than to mod it). The "what causes bans" area is little more than rampant speculation most of the time though so I would not read much into it.
    Some fear it, some accept it and if they care they just buy another xbox. Personally I do not care about live (paying for online play is not on in my world).
    You can unban an xbox but it requires one that is not banned and will take some serious effort to do.

If you want more I suggest the many threads on the subject in this very section although ignore the "you can not flash liteon drives" parts (the news was only made public a few days ago and the first public release is planned as the 24th of this month).

5. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Something else to consider is the warranty. I don't really care about a live ban (I still haven't even signed up for live), but voiding the warranty by cracking the case open has me worried about doing it. I just know my luck will cause it to eventually RROD if I void the warranty.

6. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Just remove the warranty sticker with a hairdryer and a knife, you can put it back on later if you need to send your 360 for service. I recommend saving it on a wax paper.

I've flashed many 360s and I always got those stickers off without damaging them.

7. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    and even if you do damage it you can always just get one from eBay. They go for cheap.