Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am thinking of getting one of the consoles since my Wii has no good RPG Games, or the style of the controls aren't that great...

So I am looking for a new console the 360 and PS3. I am mainly, looking into playing RPG games. I was looking into the Tales of games and saw that they have one out for the 360 and they also are making a remake for the PS3. Vesperia is what I am talking about. I am not a hardcore gamer that goes online everyday, more like a moderate gamer that just plays online occasionally and like RPGs xDD. I am open to suggestions on which one is better.

Since the PS3 is quite expensive, I am willing to save up, so right now I am just saving up. I am aware that you must pay for online with the 360 but that just seems to be all that is important to me if I am to use the 360. But the PS3 has free online capabilities so it also seems like a good choice. Quality of the screen isn't very important (like I mean how clear or good it shows up) since I am just looking into good story lines in games.

Switching the hard drive of the 360 isn't a problem, since I have already found a few sites... (DealExtreme is one of them x3) and soft modding it doesn't seem that complicated. I know nothing about modding a PS3 and not even sure if it is possible xD.

But I already found the bundles I am going for if I get a PS3 or 360. Either the 80GB PS3 or the XBOX 360 Elite. Since both are at equivalent prices...

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird. This generation, so far, the 360 has the clearly superior RPG selection. However, I don't think you're going to want to limit yourself to RPGs, cool though they may be. I know that that's just the genre of your choice - are there any other cool genres you really like?

I own the whole trifecta, and each system has its ups and downs. To really help ya here I'll need to know details and specifics - what kinds of games you like beyond RPGs (or if its just RPGs), if online play is cool enough for you to accept an annual fee, if you'd like a media center, if ease of use is important, etc. those kinds of details.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yay someone replied. I usually look for RPGs so first priority. Secondly, I look for maybe first person or third person shooter. Like Call of Duty or Brothers in Arms. Maybe even Halo fits in there I think... Umm... I haven't really thought of other games yet... So yea.

Online play is gonna be fun to play with since playing with family is gonna get boring and also against the computers. The annual fee may be troublesome, but I already though of what I am gonna do... Ask for it on either Christmas or Birthday. So I can do it every year ^^.

Yes I would want to use it as a media center~ But most of the time, I will end up using my computer xDD. I want the GUI/OS to be simple and easy to use... Nothing sophisticated. Maybe just a GUI/OS where it asks, Game, Media Center etc.

Maybe the least buggy, or least with problems. I am open to finding ways to fix it, but this isn't as important as what is asked from above. And yea... That is pretty much it.

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you should go for one of the standard 360 models, maybe pick up an external hard drive or hook it up to any computers you may have in the house for easy internet sharing/networking.

Now, the PS3 is getting a shit ton of pretty cool looking exclusives this year, so you might wanna look into those before making your final decision. Also, if you're a fan of tactical RPGs, you're gonna wanna get the PS3 simply for Disgaea and Valkyrie Chronicles. Then again, there are plenty of J/WRPGs on the 360, plus it's had the 'secondary' genres you like in droves since the beginning.

It's definitely a tough choice. From here, I'd go to Metacritic and look for games for each system that you'd be interested in. Cap your list at about 60 or 65 - you can still enjoy the hell outta games that score that low so long as they're your kind of game. Read the reviews, don't just go offa scores. An hour or two of that and you should have a decision, that's what I did and I opted in the end to get a PS3 first, but for you a 360 may be the best option.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would advocate the 360 (mainly because I have one), but I also have the same share of tastes. For RPG's, the list includes:
- Lost Oddessy
- Blue Dragon
- Mass Effect
- Fallout 3
- Oblivion
- Eternal Sonata
- Final Fantasy 13 (no Japanese voices though)
- Infinite Undiscovery
- The Last Remnant
- Star Ocean 4
All of these title have recieved decent to great reviews and half of them are exclusive to the 360.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eh depends really. 360 covers a wider range of audience while ps3 targets a niche crowd. seriously would you see the average person sitting through MGS4? or the average person leveling through Disgaea?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depends really on how much you want to fiddle about hacking a 360 sure PS3 is not hackable but the games are pretty cheap pre owned anyhow
smile.gif

to fight the PS3 corner ... Hard drives with the PS3 are standard SATA mini laptop style drives they are pretty cheap to buy and dead easy to fit too
smile.gif

example here in the UK I can get a 320gb hd for my PS3 from play.com free postage for £50 ($76) or a bigger 500gb for a bit more cash! ....afaik there are no drives that large for 360 out there 120-160gb afaik!?

PS3 = FREE ONLINE play (£39.99/$61.15) (360 is around £40/$61) and a fair bit of FREE DLC if you make a few accts for other countrys lol recent aquisition via PSN USA is Ragdoll Kung Fu Fists of Plastic
smile.gif

loads of free game demos ... not many free addon's but they are cheap enough for most stuff anyhow
smile.gif

added to this the PS3 has WIFI built in vs 360 no wifi and costs you about (£40/$60) to buy an adapter

PS3 also has a pretty cool internet browser too which you can view Youtube etc 360 does not have a web browser look out next month for VIDZONE a free kinda Youtube on speed for music videos that you can download and transfer to PSP or mobile through the interface
smile.gif

360 has its plus points also it has a HUGE catalogue of good FPS games has RPG games a HUGE DLC catalogue (although PS3 is growing monthly)

PS3 has a few good shooters on it like KILLZONE 2 also has RES EVIL 5 and some new ones like MAG comming soon and FF13 altho that is stated to be comming out on ALL formats anyhow DC universe online also looks a pretty cool game
smile.gif

They both have their good and bad points but for me the FREE online gameplay was a winner im saving £40 a year right there and built in wifi means no messy cable across the room!

edit: almost forgot the PS3 has a BLU RAY drive built in and can play DIVX and HD files (as vobs) right off a cdr/dvdr/usb stick
smile.gif

btw for the record we own a PS3/360 and a Wii so yes I can comment on all 3!

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
get the PS3, the 360 will probs catch RROD and die!
also, the ps3 has free online - on the 360 you have to pay to change your fucking name!

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play rpg's, definitely go for the 360. I have tales of vesperia and I LOVE it. It's addictive. The 360 also has a simpler interface than the ps3.

I almost forgot, you can play backups of 360 games. You can't do that with the ps3.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
WII_ND_DS_USER_997 said:
get the PS3, the 360 will probs catch RROD and die!
also, the ps3 has free online - on the 360 you have to pay to change your fucking name!

this, plus you can upgrade the ps3 hard drive to 500gb and you don't have to pay extra for the addons and have scratched discs either.

edit: you are going to get a lot of xbox 360 comments as this forum is anti ps3 anyway.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The both have there ups n downs
1.games
360-good exclusives like halo fear fable etc
ps3-better gaming expirience ccuz of the graphics and good games like killzone 2 plus you can play the entire ps2 library

online play
360-gotta pay
ps3 for free

features
360-voice chat voice mail xbox live xbox market place music videos pictures n dvds plus internet browser
ps3-video chat playstion network playststion store music videos pics browser n psp remote play blue ray n dvds

brick
360- gets the F****in rrod
ps3 doesnt brick that much

memory
360-i think its 64gig max
ps3-you can upgrde to 2tb

price
360-cheap affordable gaming
ps3-expensive but if you want everythin in just one system(blueray dvds music internet etc is worth it)

final
if you got the money o for the ps3 if not the 360 should do you god to

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
The both have there ups n downs
1.games
360-good exclusives like halo fear fable etc
ps3-better gaming expirience ccuz of the graphics and good games like killzone 2 plus you can play the entire ps2 library

online play
360-gotta pay
ps3 for free

features
360-voice chat voice mail xbox live xbox market place music videos pictures n dvds plus internet browser
ps3-video chat playstion network playststion store music videos pics browser n psp remote play blue ray n dvds

brick

memory

price
ps3-expensive but if you want everythin in just one system(blueray dvds music internet etc is worth it)

final
if you got the money o for the ps3 if not the 360 should do you god to
The ps3 can play the entire ps1 library, not ps2. The 360 does not have an internet browser. Max hdd for the 360 is 120gb. Please get your facts straight.

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
xbox360 - cheaper, more games (and exclusives), hackable

unless you really want a blu ray player, for me it's a no brainer to go for the 360 - until they hack the PS3 so it can be used as the ultimate EMU machine or the next hi def XBMC i don't see much incentive to get the PS3

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are a hardware junkie - you can watch eBay for a complete 360 set with RROD. Easy to fix yourself (if you like doing this stuff). I just bought my 5th one. I got 1 in each bedroom and 1 in the living room and gave 1 to my neice and 1 to a buddy of mine.
I never pay over $100 for them (wait - the 1st one I did). But it is a matter of waiting and striking at the right time.
*Fixing RROD costs ~$7

If you get a PS3 or 360 - and you have a ton of videos saved already, get TVersity and make your PS3/360 a kick ass media center

Have fun

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
brick

memory

price

WRONG for memory. 360 maxes out at 120GB, plus you can video chat on 360 too. And PS3 has problems of its own too. The YLoD and the bluray drive could die on you, LIKE MINE DID!!! What pissed me off was that Sony wanted to charge $150 to fix it when it wasnt even my fault. At least a RRoD 360 will get fixed for free.

If you just wanna game then go for 360. If you live the HD lifestyle, get PS3. Or if you can, just get both like I did lol.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha. I am away for almost a day and this is what happens. 11 more replies come in.

I can't really say much now, but I planned out my way already...

Gonna get a 360, and don't care if you have to pay for online. Just as some people said, wider range of RPGs which I like ^^.

To go online, get a 12 Month Live card (or what ever they are called) for either my b-day or christmas. Saves me money.

Mod it... (softmod) yay free games ^^.

But I am only gonna do that when I am running out of money x3. Since I still want to get original games...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Splych said:
But why am I gonna want Blu-Ray? Watch Blu-Ray stuff... Super expensive... and to me, waste of money.

Actually Blu Ray disks are about the same price as a retail dvd in most cases if you shop online
smile.gif

with pre owned Blu Ray disks being cheaper still
smile.gif

but hey its your cash feel free to buy whatever you want ... we are just replying to your original question
yay.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2