Hacking Xbox 360 game rips crash in FSD

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can't find anything I like on eBay :( might have to make up some custom decals if I want to retro-ify it :)

The double GPU heatsink arrived yesterday and what a HUGE difference it's made! The GPU has gone from running 10+ degrees C hotter than the CPU to running 2C cooler. This is with the 40mm fan on top of the secondary GPU heatsink.

Console runs much quieter and cooler now. Mind boggling that they decided to swap back to the single Xenon style heatsink. I'm pretty sure the fans are running as slowly as they will go and my GPU is sitting at 48C in game.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Jasper is made on the 65nm process, which is notably cooler in operation then the 90 nm.
Don't ask me why either ;p

Nice temps!
I'm currently (idling in Lollipop Chainsaw) at 52.8c for CPU, 52.6c for GPU, 52c for RAM and 37.3c for the chassis.
Fans on stock speeds, 40mm fan on 7v and you know how me RGH is placed ;p

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah no idea why either but I'll roll with it lol.

Those seem like very good temps for a Falcon, mine are somewhat higher this afternoon but it's much hotter outside and standing it vertically seems to impact air flow.

In game (Fable II) CPU is sitting on around 54-55, GPU around 50 or a bit less. fan speeds still on very low/minimum. Still pretty pleased with that considering I haven't cut any extra holes and it's nearly 30C outside at the moment. Oh and my 40mm fan is wired to the system fans (soldered it to the fan connector points under the board for neatness) so makes no audible noise but still just moves a little air through that extra heatsink.

Considering the fans were ramping up a fair amount to keep the GPU at 55 before and the CPU was sat at 44 ish, and the ambient temperature was a lot cooler then, yep, makes a big difference.

Its made such a drastic difference to the GPU temps I'm thinking of adding an extra fan to the CPU heatsink to try and get that cooled down a bit...

Last edited by britain4,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fashioning some cardboard over the heatsinks to increase the length of the airduct is also recommended.
Then the fans pull air from in front of the heatsinks.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fashioning some cardboard over the heatsinks to increase the length of the airduct is also recommended.
Then the fans pull air from in front of the heatsinks.

Yep I've done this :) seems to make a difference but can't help wonder why MS didn't do this in the first place.

It seems to be struggling keeping the CPU down below 55 now (I can't get it to run at 45 any more without cranking the fans right up) which is frustrating because I can't see how the GPU heatsink would affect the CPU temps (I re-pasted the CPU heatsink when I did the GPU zone just to be certain)

It is a very hot day and I think I might have had it horizontal when I took the first temps so that might be affecting it

Only other things it could be are heat from the secondary heatsink being drawn through the CPU heatsink now, or, I had a fan shroud divider in before like this that I took out because I thought it was bad for CPU air flow http://diygaming.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/simple-fan-shroud-mod-for-xbox-360.html?m=1 which may have been helping it out

Meh in any case I'm leaving it now until I have to disassemble it again for something else lol, those clips are a nightmare...

Last edited by britain4,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Highly likely to cut down on costs.
Remember in '06 that MS didn't include rubber bumpers around the DVD lens?
The bumpers where 25 cents a piece but cost MS millions in the end.

Shroud divider would probably help as well.
extra CPU fan might just do the trick but yes, the 2nd heatsink does push warmer air over the CPU heatsink, raising the temp slightly.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Highly likely to cut down on costs.
Remember in '06 that MS didn't include rubber bumpers around the DVD lens?
The bumpers where 25 cents a piece but cost MS millions in the end.

Shroud divider would probably help as well.
extra CPU fan might just do the trick but yes, the 2nd heatsink does push warmer air over the CPU heatsink, raising the temp slightly.

Hah no I don't remember it but I can believe it having disassembled my 360 and seen some of the incredibly stupid design "features".

Yup, thought the divider mainly helped GPU temps (more Air through the more restrictive heatsink) but might try refitting it and seeing if it makes any difference

Probably just a combo of a ridiculously hot day, vertical position and the extra heat from the second heatsink near the CPU but will see if the divider helps any

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Always got mine vertically.

Eh, Ideally, not letting temps get over 60c is something to aim for.
Higher then 70 would be to warm indeed.

Yeah I'm just trying to get it as good as I can. Just tried mine horizontally and it doesn't seem to make a difference

Maybe cutting the hole is what I need to do to get it better. Although it stays below 60 without breaking a sweat even in this weather :)

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the temp "issues" were down to the hot weather. It was cooler again this morning and the fans weren't ramping up to cool the CPU any more.

I'm actually dead happy with how this 360s turned out, lucked out on a Jasper locally, managed to RGH it myself at less than £10 for all the equipment and got it cooling much more efficiently now I've got rid of the penny-pinching tiny GPU heatsink. Probably spent about £60 on it in total including the hard drive and controller and heatsink etc.

Even got it booting instantly or on the 2nd attempt :)

Oh and for anyone else having problems running Fable... II and III both need to be converted to GOD format otherwise they crash, Anniversary works fine in GOD format but I haven't tried it any other way. If you have the discs you could also copy them through the original Dashboard then run them in Aurora (no need for the original disc).

Last edited by britain4,

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice!

I've got the first gen RGH chip in me Falcon and it has a 9/10 instaboot rate.
Some cooling mods and it's still going incredibly strong.

I think that's slightly better than mine - mines probably instaboot 6/10 times and the rest 2nd go. Couldn't be bothered mucking about with any more timing files so there we are. :)

Matrix glitcher and Matrix programmer are absolutely fine for the job albeit with small mods to the programmer to flash the timing files

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1