Hacking Xbox 360 game rips crash in FSD

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd solder it to 7v or splice it to the other fans.
40mm fans can be really annoying at 12v ;p

Haha gotcha, I've never done it before, thought it might be quiet because it's a small fan :P

I'll probably wire it to the other fans then, just a case of splicing into the + and - of one of the stock fans yes?

What are your opinions on fan shroud dividers so that the GPU and CPU heatsinks get a fan to themselves each rather than both fans cooling both heatsinks? It seems to me the duct for the GPU heatsink is quite restrictive and that you could get more air flowing over the GPU that way

Last edited by britain4,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yep, it should then receive the same amount of current the bigger fans get, increasing cooling capacity incrementally.
hqdefault.jpg

I don't have the heatpiped CPU heatsink tho but do have the 40mm fan exactly like that.

IMG_1085.jpg

Don't have the temp guages but do have a hole + fangrill on that spot ;p

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, it should then receive the same amount of current the bigger fans get, increasing cooling capacity incrementally.
hqdefault.jpg

I don't have the heatpiped CPU heatsink tho but do have the 40mm fan exactly like that.

IMG_1085.jpg

Don't have the temp guages but do have a hole + fangrill on that spot ;p

That's the same picture I found! Plan is to splice it into the system fans then, thank you.

I might cut the hole in the case but I like things looking stock. Running with the top of the case off didn't make any difference to the gap in temps between the CPU and GPU.

I have a heat piped CPU heatsink coming as well as the GPU one, is the smaller heatpiped CPU heatsink better than the bigger non-heatpiped one? :huh:

I have already done the cardboard shroud like you linked to in the other thread as well as a divider inside the plastic shroud :)

Last edited by britain4,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cooling difference for the Jasper on both heatsinks doesn't matter at all.
The CPU and GPU is baked on a 65nm process which produces a lot less heat.
Ofcourse, the GPU's heatsink is pathetic, so the heatpiped one makes a difference (if the heatsink is fine that is)

You could ofcourse plant a 40 or 50 mm fan on the CPU heatsink as shown in the pic for extra cooling.

The 360 itself needs the top of the case to produce an effective negative pressure cooling system.
But a hole above that fan allows that fan to draw in quantities of cool air without destroying the negative pressure inside the 360 to much.

I also like things stock but I personally think it's well worth it.
You could also get a dremel and cut a slotted design above the fan ;p

edit: the Falcon has its GPU on the 80nm procress and produces more heat.
If I can cool me Falcon sufficiently with that method (barely breaking 60c even on stock fanspeeds) then I can really vouch for the hole.

Last edited by DinohScene,
Reactions: britain4

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cooling difference for the Jasper on both heatsinks doesn't matter at all.
The CPU and GPU is baked on a 65nm process which produces a lot less heat.
Ofcourse, the GPU's heatsink is pathetic, so the heatpiped one makes a difference (if the heatsink is fine that is)

You could ofcourse plant a 40 or 50 mm fan on the CPU heatsink as shown in the pic for extra cooling.

The 360 itself needs the top of the case to produce an effective negative pressure cooling system.
But a hole above that fan allows that fan to draw in quantities of cool air without destroying the negative pressure inside the 360 to much.

I also like things stock but I personally think it's well worth it.
You could also get a dremel and cut a slotted design above the fan ;p

edit: the Falcon has its GPU on the 80nm procress and produces more heat.
If I can cool me Falcon sufficiently with that method (barely breaking 60c even on stock fanspeeds) then I can really vouch for the hole.

Lol fair enough. It's just I'll have both versions of the CPU heatsink in my hand and I want to fit the better one. CPU temps are around ~45c or less in game so I don't think I'll be using an extra CPU fan.

I may give the hole a go then, I've got a fan grill knocking about so might drill a few holes above the new GPU heatsink :)

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Lol fair enough. It's just I'll have both versions of the CPU heatsink in my hand and I want to fit the better one. CPU temps are around ~45c or less in game so I don't think I'll be using an extra CPU fan.

I may give the hole a go then, I've got a fan grill knocking about so might drill a few holes above the new GPU heatsink :)
Yup definitely out a cooler on the gpu with a grill. It cools a lot and keeps bloody 360 from overheating :-)

Reactions: britain4

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup definitely out a cooler on the gpu with a grill. It cools a lot and keeps bloody 360 from overheating :-)

Roger that, sounds like it's the way forward then. It's not overheating - with GPU temp set to 55 in Dashlaunch (overkill really) it stays around that temp and very quiet. It would be even quieter if I could just get those GPU temps down though as the CPU runs at ~45 or less...

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I aimed for getting them below 60 in game.
They never pushed above it, unless I set the fans to auto speed (stock speed) in the midst of summer.

That's impressive on a Falcon with stock fan speeds...

I should be happy with it at 55 but it's the difference with the CPU (and the tiny GPU heatsink) that bothers me lol

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Barely did much to it.
Thermal paste replacement, fan duct "mod", snipped away the back mesh, cut a hole in the side and mounted a 40mm fan on the 2nd GPU heatsink.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Barely did much to it.
Thermal paste replacement, fan duct "mod", snipped away the back mesh, cut a hole in the side and mounted a 40mm fan on the 2nd GPU heatsink.

Surprising how effective the small mods are! Maybe I can get even better temps with all those mods plus upgraded GPU heatsink on my Jasper :)

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's likely yeh.
65nm vs 80nm, with 80nm being a hothead.

Cool beans. I'm mainly hoping I can keep it set to 55 but with the fans at a lower speed tbh.

Don't know if I'm imagining it but my 65nm 360 seems to keep cooler/quieter than my 65nm PS3 CECHH. Trying to keep that at 55 would be rather noisy I think.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The Cell CPU runs hotter by design.
It always is hot.

Yup sure seems that way plus the RSX as well.

That doesn't look too shabby actually for a hole cut in the case. I had a look at my fan grille and it's 120mm so I'll need a smaller one but will def give it a go. Rocking the Hello Kitty decal too, love it lol

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
60 or 80 mm is perfect.
I'd personally say 60 mm, small enough to blend in, big enough for air to move through.

Cheers!
I've first cut the hole and then applied the decal over it and cut it neatly ;p

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
60 or 80 mm is perfect.
I'd personally say 60 mm, small enough to blend in, big enough for air to move through.

Cheers!
I've first cut the hole and then applied the decal over it and cut it neatly ;p

Yeah I don't want to mess up the negative air pressure thing either so I might go with 60 right over that 40mm fan

Ahhh okay nice, was wondering how you got the hole so neat with the decal on... You've got me sticker shopping for mine now :D

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Slap a giant GIR on it haha.
I'd also pick a nice faceplate if you want to spend some extra.
There are some really sweet ones out there.

FiNY4rw.jpg

Got Allegretto on me flashed 360, the black unit and Beat on me RGH unit.
Both from Eternal Sonata.

britain4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slap a giant GIR on it haha.
I'd also pick a nice faceplate if you want to spend some extra.
There are some really sweet ones out there.

FiNY4rw.jpg

Got Allegretto on me flashed 360, the black unit and Beat on me RGH unit.
Both from Eternal Sonata.

Haha even just the faceplates look pretty sweet actually. I'm thinking something retro inspired like some ZX Spectrum stripes or a Commodore logo. As you will see from my sig I'm a bit of a retro collector haha. Doubt I'll be able to find anything like that so might end up being a custom job...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Drugs.