XBMC for Android

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by air2004, Jul 15, 2012.

Jul 15, 2012

XBMC for Android by air2004 at 11:57 AM (2,385 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/
    I am looking forward to this.....
    [​IMG]We have been keeping a little secret.. the kind that is so much fun to share when the time comes.

Today we announce XBMC for Android. Not a remote, not a thin client; the real deal. No root or jailbreak required. XBMC can be launched as an application on your set-top-box, tablet, phone, or wherever else Android may be found.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Hmm... most of the time I would consider something like this I would probably install it as a standalone XBMC box or sitting on top of windows for PC that was going to be hooked up to a TV as far as set top boxes go but if set top android can go toe to toe with regular android at some level it could be interesting.

On the other hand I was halfway curious to see VLC on mobiles hit a couple of weeks back and a proper XBMC beats VLC for almost everything and certainly what I would care to do and most consumer mobile devices typically have terrible video playback so I am definitely game. Reading the link I see much still seems to be software but as hardware is something they are aiming for I can deal with that. Android tablet as portable media centre has an appeal as well.

3. [Truth]

Member [Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    1 person likes this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Was thinking the same as the guy above me, this would be perfect for the Ouya if it gets released.

Hell, my phone has a mini HDMI port, so I wouldn't mind this for my Evo as well.

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    XMBC >>>> VLC.

This is great news. I'll try it as soon as it gets a bit more complete in hardware-accelerated support.

1 person likes this.
  6. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Never heard of XBMC before the Android announcement. I'll give it a try once it's available. Right now I've been using BSPlayer lite, after trying all other media players available on Android, I can safely say it's the best (right now at least).

7. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It is available. Someone compiled it and released a .apk on xda forums.
    It's a little buggy, but damn it's the best interface I've ever seen.

8. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Same here, but as mentioned, it'd be awesome on the Ouya once it's released.

9. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

what planet are you guys living on.... you Never heard of XBMC....

1 person likes this.
  10. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I'm lost. I gonna guess this is something you can use to hook up your TV and phone?

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    huge fail

1 person likes this.
  12. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States

13. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

Sweet ass. I think I'll get me one of those Pivos XIOS boxes now.

14. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    XBMC is Xbox Media Center. It was originally created for the original xbox as a replacement dash and multimedia handling program. It since than as grown to support a handful for devices.

1 person likes this.
  15. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Any word on Tegra 3...? I'd be so mad if it didn't support that either because no matter what I'm getting a Tegra 3.

Also, this is good, I've been needing a proper mkv+subtitles player for my phone.

16. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yes, this is great news. I also agree that this will be great with Ouya.

17. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Xbox Minecraft?

What is XBMC?
    EDIT: Oh, then what's so special about it?

18. [Truth]

Member [Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Kids these days... don´t even know xbmc...

2 people like this.
  19. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Janthran I am not entirely sure where to start

As others said it was made for the original xbox at first (and kind of still is with XBMC4Xbox although officially it was dropped not so long ago) as a frontend to mplayer (which also gave ffmpeg and libavcodec). Mplayer is probably the main unix video player software and it is one of the best video players out there (pretty much every open source video player uses it at some level) as it plays just about everything, plays everything well and cuts through most instances of people hosing up the encoding so when XBMC gained a nice GUI (and it has an incredibly customisable one) it became an amazing media player. Given DVD players (expensive or random Chinese stuff only) of the time were still experimenting with maybe having some MPEG4 ASP (divx/xvid kind of) if you encoded it in some arcane manner and burned it in an equally obtuse one it happened that XBMC was then head and shoulders above everything available, other than sticking an actual PC onto a TV, to say nothing of it supporting every sensible network protocol; if you have ever had to mess around with media centre extender, some other media frontend nonsense or worse DNLA then know XBMC back in 2005 for me was reading off every network share that mattered and straight SMB windows shares it did not even blink on. Doubly nice is by the end the xbox was less than the price of a game, played DVDs and had a nice remote (although most seem to have moved to controlling XBMC with a phone these days) and still more than competitive as long as you did not want a PVR/DVR.
    To this day I have one under a TV and it works well with the only things it chokes on being some aspects of H264 and silly high res xvid stuff (although it can scale up to 720 if you want it to) and it is my go to choice if someone asks me to build them a media player PC for their front room/home cinema.

Speaking of the PC, with XBMC being so nice it eventually forked off/moved to the PC where it gained a windows port, a linux port for a few architectures and a linux liveCD/standalone install among other things and thus became a top flight piece of media centre software there as well (the GUI became even nicer), it also formed the basis for Boxee but that is a different discussion entirely (there was a point where it was a bit more impressive and some moved to it instead). Oh yeah where others have opted for software decoders the XBMC project (although this might be a bit of a departure) has not traditionally shied away from getting their hands dirty and using hardware decoding or seriously optimised decoding.

On top of this it supports a bunch of plugins to do all sorts of things including stuff like the likes of hulu and netflix, these are traditionally something mobile/embedded devices can do but the operators will tend to castrate them and make them less workable than a PC which this kind of works around (not sure how well for the likes of android though).

Basically there were/are other reasons/options but whenever you hear words to the effect of "sure that TV decoding things is nice, but I have had better since the early 2000's" XBMC is probably why that can be said by many people that know their way around a computer. Given mobile phones and similar devices are in a similarly pitiful stage vis a vis video decoding (hardware grunt is not a problem but the software is not there) this is why people are excited about big players like xbmc, mplayer and even VLC making their way to such devices. That it will probably come configured to do it all right out of the box is the proverbial cherry on top.

Believe it or not what just appeared was not even me in fanboy mode.

1 person likes this.
  20. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I wonder how this will work out, seems really interesting none the less. =3