WupInstaller y - 'Splitting' games?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Pilzkopf777, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hello there,

I only have a 16 GB SD card and it does it's job quite well. However, what if I'm trying to install a game (using this guide) using the WUP installer mod (this) which exceeds the storage of my SD card?
    Some games are around 22 GB and that certainly doesn't fit on the SD card.
    Is it possible to 'split' the game in multiple parts and swap out the SD card? Is there a method (even if not using WUP installer) to do so?

2. RayD97

RayD97 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2015
    United States
    The most you can 'split' is dlc from games, as dlc comes in a separate package anyways (updates too). But you can always try the ftp feature of Wii U USB helper. That method doesn't require your SD card to transfer the game (though it should be in your Wii u to launch the WUP installer Homebrew)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-usb-helper-transfer-tool-ftp-wup-all-in-one.453944/

Edit: Ah I forgot about that. You are right @Lacius
    Well, looks like you'll need a bigger SD card man, sorry.

Last edited by RayD97, Jun 25, 2017
    Pilzkopf777 likes this.
  3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I believe using this application still requires a larger SD card, because the entire game is sent to the SD card first before it installs. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited by Lacius, Jun 24, 2017
    RayD97 and Pilzkopf777 like this.
  4. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Correct FTP only let's you access the SD card and not the WiiU's system files. You will need a bigger SD card.

Pilzkopf777 likes this.
  5. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Not exactly.
    For example, if you put the title in /vol/storage_usb01/usr/tmp/ and you create a "custom" wupinstaller you can install titles from USB to... USB (idk if I explained it well)